The Chainlink

I found out yesterday that the Cycle Center will no longer allow non-members to park their bikes there. The explanation was that with all the construction going on, they were having issues and the city was making it worse. This starts on May 1. I for one, am totally bummed. 

Views: 2441

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is Bicentennial Park the same as Maggie Daley park? Because that's the construction they were blaming it on.

Yes.  Daley Bicentennial is being renamed to Maggie Daley in honor of our late First Lady of Chicago.

Sarah Lewert said:

Is Bicentennial Park the same as Maggie Daley park? Because that's the construction they were blaming it on.

David,

Easy there, let's take a step back.

Why are we expecting that indoor, semi-secure bike parking should be free to all? Yes, I understand that it has been free previously, but when/why did free become the necessary, expected price to use this facility? Paying people to run this facility costs money. Paying people to maintain this facility costs money. Building this facility costed money, etc.

Also, do we have another source or are we all getting worked up based on one story from a single person that hasn't yet been verified? I can ask today when I go get my bike if that would help.

David crZven 10.6 said:

My message

Dear McDonalds:

It is my understanding that the City of Chicago has decided no longer to allow free parking in the McDonalds' sponsored Chicago Bicycle Center. Parking will now be restricted to people who purchase a monthly or annual membership. Apparently no daily option would be available. As I understand this, the facility was sponsored in part by McDonalds to support healthy exercise and to support alternate transportation by families on the weekend to enjoy the lakefront. Yet by now limiting it to monthly members, it will now be perceived as an "elite" facility intended to support a limited few with a special interest. I would think that McDonalds would not want their name on such a "special interest" facility. As such, perhaps McDonalds should suggest to the city that, as the sponsor, they would like the city, at a minimum, to provide a reasonable daily option.

David crZven 10.6 said:

The website, naturally, does not report the change.   Its an all too sad commentary on the state of the City and the further division of society into the class of haves and have nots.   The best way to develop a democratic state is to have many services available to everyone regardless of income and without any "needs" tests or "fees".  Yet here in Chicago, even things such as Public Schools now have "school fees" which a parent must pay or go through a long rigamarole to prove that the parent cannot.   That's contrary to the basic concept of a public school with uniform opportunities for all.

And the idea that now only "members" who can afford the monthly or annual fee (admittedly not that high a fee) can have safe bicycle parking is similarly non-democratic.  And it is targeted at the less avid rider -- someone who we should be encouraging to ride.

The good news is that we do have an option.   What is the name of the bicycle center?  McDonalds.   A corporation subject to public pressure.  My guess is that it would not take that much pressure for McDonalds to pressure the city to reverse this decision.   Does McDonalds really want the City turning people away from a facility with their name on it earning their resentment.  

Here's a link to send them a message on their Social Responsibility Page:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/contact_us/social_responsibility/soc... 

Anne B. said:

Any idea if there will there be a day use fee if someone wants to lock up just for a day, or do you have to get a monthly membership? 

Jeff, yes, members have stickers on their bikes. They started this back in 2010 if my memory serves correctly. I don not think that this will apply to the outside parking though.

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

Are you talking about the outside racks?  That would suck because that's the best place to park during concerts at Millennium.  Btw, how would they know?; do members put stickers on their bikes?

Maybe they should raise prices on the dollar menu.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/19/mcdonalds-dollar-menu-sale...

All,

Besides the, probable, multi-million dollar payment that McDonald's gave the city initially to secure naming rights, they have NOTHING to do with this facility. It is managed by a private company. You can take a look at their website here: http://www.bikechicago.com/

Mike Zumwalt said:

Maybe they should raise prices on the dollar menu.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/19/mcdonalds-dollar-menu-sale...

McDonalds just threw their name on the building for exposure.  I can't imagine anyone higher up in that company caring about any of this.  Bike & Roll operates the location.

If CTA train stations become sponsored, should we raise hell with Apple, Starbucks, etc. if we're not satisfied with public transit?

I got the story straight from the guy working there. Feel free to verify. They made signs and everything.

Will G - 10mi said:

David,

Why are we expecting that indoor, semi-secure bike parking should be free to all? Yes, I understand that it has been free previously, but when/why did free become the necessary, expected price to use this facility? Paying people to run this facility costs money. Paying people to maintain this facility costs money. Building this facility costed money, etc.

Also, do we have another source or are we all getting worked up based on one story from a single person that hasn't yet been verified? I can ask today when I go get my bike if that would help.

David crZven 10.6 said:

My message

Dear McDonalds:

It is my understanding that the City of Chicago has decided no longer to allow free parking in the McDonalds' sponsored Chicago Bicycle Center. Parking will now be restricted to people who purchase a monthly or annual membership. Apparently no daily option would be available. As I understand this, the facility was sponsored in part by McDonalds to support healthy exercise and to support alternate transportation by families on the weekend to enjoy the lakefront. Yet by now limiting it to monthly members, it will now be perceived as an "elite" facility intended to support a limited few with a special interest. I would think that McDonalds would not want their name on such a "special interest" facility. As such, perhaps McDonalds should suggest to the city that, as the sponsor, they would like the city, at a minimum, to provide a reasonable daily option.

David crZven 10.6 said:

The website, naturally, does not report the change.   Its an all too sad commentary on the state of the City and the further division of society into the class of haves and have nots.   The best way to develop a democratic state is to have many services available to everyone regardless of income and without any "needs" tests or "fees".  Yet here in Chicago, even things such as Public Schools now have "school fees" which a parent must pay or go through a long rigamarole to prove that the parent cannot.   That's contrary to the basic concept of a public school with uniform opportunities for all.

And the idea that now only "members" who can afford the monthly or annual fee (admittedly not that high a fee) can have safe bicycle parking is similarly non-democratic.  And it is targeted at the less avid rider -- someone who we should be encouraging to ride.

The good news is that we do have an option.   What is the name of the bicycle center?  McDonalds.   A corporation subject to public pressure.  My guess is that it would not take that much pressure for McDonalds to pressure the city to reverse this decision.   Does McDonalds really want the City turning people away from a facility with their name on it earning their resentment.  

Anne B. said:

Any idea if there will there be a day use fee if someone wants to lock up just for a day, or do you have to get a monthly membership? 

Sorry Sarah, I didn't mean to imply that you made anything up, just trying to get David's "internet mob-ism" under control a bit.

Sarah Lewert said:

I got the story straight from the guy working there. Feel free to verify. They made signs and everything.

Will G - 10mi said:

David,

David crZven 10.6 said:

My message

Dear McDonalds:

David crZven 10.6 said:

Anne B. said:

The name of the place is the McDonald's Cycle Center.  Not the Millenium Park Cycle Center sponsored by McDonalds or any other such version of the name.  Its a PR stunt like the Ronald McDonald Houses.   

If my CTA station was called the Apple Computer Fullerton Station or the United Airlines River Road Station, hell yes I would complain to them if I was not satisfied with what was going on.   And they would care as well. Companies pick and pay (often big bucks) to be associated with things that bring them good reputations and publicity.   Its U.S. Cellular Field, not U.S. Cellular Metropolitan Correctional Center or U.S. Cellular Sewage Treatment Facility.   And if the item being sponsored is no longer "prestigious" I want my name off of it.  Look how many companies stopped associating with Tiger Woods even though his visibility was still high. This is certainly a change at the facility and a change which reflects on the corporate image being pushed.  If enough of us complained, change would happen.  But instead, I guess we are happy to keep kvetching about problems that we actually can't fix...

blair_ said:

McDonalds just threw their name on the building for exposure.  I can't imagine anyone higher up in that company caring about any of this.  Bike & Roll operates the location.

If CTA train stations become sponsored, should we raise hell with Apple, Starbucks, etc. if we're not satisfied with public transit?

Apple doesn't even care enough of what people think to close down the sweatshops.

David crZven 10.6 said:

The name of the place is the McDonald's Cycle Center.  Not the Millenium Park Cycle Center sponsored by McDonalds or any other such version of the name.  Its a PR stunt like the Ronald McDonald Houses.   

If my CTA station was called the Apple Computer Fullerton Station or the United Airlines River Road Station, hell yes I would complain to them if I was not satisfied with what was going on.   And they would care as well. Companies pick and pay (often big bucks) to be associated with things that bring them good reputations and publicity.   Its U.S. Cellular Field, not U.S. Cellular Metropolitan Correctional Center or U.S. Cellular Sewage Treatment Facility.   And if the item being sponsored is no longer "prestigious" I want my name off of it.  Look how many companies stopped associating with Tiger Woods even though his visibility was still high. This is certainly a change at the facility and a change which reflects on the corporate image being pushed.  If enough of us complained, change would happen.  But instead, I guess we are happy to keep kvetching about problems that we actually can't fix...

blair_ said:

Someone needs a basic class in advertising/PR.

I'm done with this thread.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service