The Chainlink

I'd been waiting to get my Divvy membership until stations popped up near me. I work in the suburbs, not downtown, so I mainly want a membership in order to more easily get to and from the train on those days when I don't feel like riding 22 miles roundtrip to work.

I finally bought my membership on Monday when I saw new stations opening up closer and closer to me. I was thrilled earlier today to read on Divvy's Twitter feed that a station is going up very close to me, on Addison and Pine Grove.

And then I read this: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-divvy-bike-sharing-lawsuit-2....

I'm furious. What can I (we) do to counter these NIMBY types? I think it's entirely unfair that a couple of cranky people can ruin bikeshare for my neighborhood.

Views: 5190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

K thanks, the legal world is weird. still seems like the plaintiff is costing the city a lot of time and money because their lawyer was really vague in their statements. I wonder if they are collecting fees from the condo association for this or if he is doing it pro bono, can use this as tax write offs.

I don't know how much "money" it costs the city, as the city has a legal department that handles these kinds of claims. It did look like the city had brought some big posters with large photos of the station and intersection to the hearing (they weren't used). Those obviously cost some money. And the lawsuit does of course cost the city time.

Davo said:

K thanks, the legal world is weird. still seems like the plaintiff is costing the city a lot of time and money because their lawyer was really vague in their statements. I wonder if they are collecting fees from the condo association for this or if he is doing it pro bono, can use this as tax write offs.

I live right next to the Addison/Pine Grove Divvy station and my condo association just sent us this email. They claim that CDOT may move/remove the station if there is enough support.  As they say, please email Sean Wiedel at sean.wiedel@cityofchicago.org regarding your position on the issue.  I am emailing Sean regarding my stance in favor of the station where it stands.

Hello!

I was asked to circulate to all residents.

Listed below is an email received from one of our residents who attended the meeting held September 11, 2013 where the Divvy Bike Rack issue was on the agenda.  Contact the City liaison listed at the end of the email to voice your concern/position on this issue.

"Hi All,

Apologies for disrupting your email solitude, but just a quick rundown of events.

Apparently the Alderman attended an event Monday at a neighboring building, and consensus was, he basically told our block "Too bad, I'm not moving it". Forgive me if you are a pro-Divvy bike-racker and I am sending you this mail in error. Delete now...

Alderman was  not present at this meeting but CDOT was. They are willing to relocate if there is enough support. I am sending a mail offering three alternate suggestions within a block, (all of them on sidewalks). I know we've been living with it almost a month now and are maybe getting used to it, but still feel it would be nice to see it removed for parking, safety, and general annoyance reasons.

The liason is Sean Wiedel

sean.wiedel@cityofchicago.org

Thanks for contributing your voice to this issue. Apologies to anyone in disagreement with this issue receiving this email.

Dave T 3542B Pine Grove"

What a load of garbage.  If this building is successful, any DIVVY location is at issue.  I would suggest, if they prevail, a protest of some sort.  Perhaps the legal locking of really disreputable beat up bicycles right around their building.   Hopefully they would do something stupid (and be caught doing it) like removing these beat-up bicycles from the public way.  

Did you send an e-mail as Pat requested?

Crazy David 84 Furlongs said:

What a load of garbage.  If this building is successful, any DIVVY location is at issue.  I would suggest, if they prevail, a protest of some sort.  Perhaps the legal locking of really disreputable beat up bicycles right around their building.   Hopefully they would do something stupid (and be caught doing it) like removing these beat-up bicycles from the public way.  

First thing I did was send the e-mail.

h' 1.0 said:

Did you send an e-mail as Pat requested?

I started my own petition on Change.org.....

let's see if we can get more signatures..

Serge Lubomudrov said:

There's also a petition, by "3565 N. Pine Grove Condo Association," to relocate that Divvy station, addressed to Gabe Klein, Rahm Emanuel and James Cappleman, on Change.org. Apparently, it needs 2000 people to sign, to . . . I don't know? To be delivered, probably. As of now, there are 77 signatures, after couple of weeks online.

Funny how that petition starts: "Divvy is at our doorstep!"

Hannibal ante portas, indeedy!

. . . By the way, I live on that very intersection, Pine Grove and Addison. Out of all things that make my life there less pleasant, like sirens, motorcycles, heavy trucks, drunk yuppies and Cubs fans, inconsiderate neighbors, etc, etc, etc, that Divvy station makes no trouble whatsoever. Yes, it's taken exactly two parking spots (I don't have a car, but my girlfriend does). Maybe that was the last straw for some residents of that condominium. I don't know. But they surely talk about it like it's some kind of shady commercial enterprise. Come on, people get bicycles there, not drugs!

Link? 

I already wrote to all the parties, myself. 

Where's the link?

I live in the area (on Waveland, between Pine Grove and Broadway) and I like the station where it is.  Where do I go to show my support of it not moving?

Send an email to:

The liason is Sean Wiedel

sean.wiedel@cityofchicago.org

Christine (5.0) said:

I live in the area (on Waveland, between Pine Grove and Broadway) and I like the station where it is.  Where do I go to show my support of it not moving?

I hope this is the link.

Gabe Klein, Rahm Emanuel and James Cappleman: Retain the Divvy Stat...

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

Where's the link?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service