The Chainlink

Our team at the MBAC meeting just let us know that Elston (Division to North) and 18th (Clinton to Clark) will be the next protected bike lanes by the end of this year!

Thanks, CDOT!

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

Views: 4925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They added bollards to the protected lanes on Elston yesterday - I understand their purpose, but they are a bit of an eye sore. It would be nice if they sent a street sweeper down the lanes, there is a lot of little bits of crap in the lanes.

I can't wait until bollards, lines, and the green pavement have become common enough that people no longer consider them "eye-sores."

All roads are "eye-sores" -it's just that people have become used to them.   Changing the paradigm always takes a while and people need to adjust to the new "look" of the transportation infrastructure.  

The "eye-sore" excuse darn near ruined the Kinzie protected lane when the folks bowed to pressure and pulled out a bunch of bollards.   What a HUGE mistake that was!

Hear hear.  

James BlackHeron said:

All roads are "eye-sores" -it's just that people have become used to them.   

Seconded. 

h' said:

Hear hear.  

James BlackHeron said:

All roads are "eye-sores" -it's just that people have become used to them.   

They were painting the protected bike lane lines on Elston between Division and Augusta yesterday afternoon when I rode through the area on the commute home. This morning on the way into to work, there 3 cars were parked in the lane on the west side of Elston between Cortez and Augusta - to be fair it is a bit confusing there right now without the bike symbols on the road, bollards or signage.

CDOT moved the bollards on 18th. I'm guessing to address the cars driving in the lane problem?

I snapped this pic before the move. It shows the old location and a spot of paint showing the new location.

I have not noticed anyone driving in the lane since, but I only saw one incident before - my observation is entirely anecdotal.

Yes, driving and parking in the bike lane is the reason for the move. I reported it on Grid Chicago.

I've personally witnessed multiple instances of driving in the bike lane, and have been made aware of several others. Please keep Alderman Solis and I apprised of any automobile activity in the 18th Street bike lane over the river. 

Tony Adams said:

CDOT moved the bollards on 18th. I'm guessing to address the cars driving in the lane problem?

I snapped this pic before the move. It shows the old location and a spot of paint showing the new location.

I have not noticed anyone driving in the lane since, but I only saw one incident before - my observation is entirely anecdotal.

I saw this last night. There's an interesting curve in the design for drivers going northbound just north of Cortez Street. I'll post a photo later. 

I despise it when people park in bike lanes, but I give these people a pass because the new bike lane hasn't been completed yet. 

Gopher Biker said:

They were painting the protected bike lane lines on Elston between Division and Augusta yesterday afternoon when I rode through the area on the commute home. This morning on the way into to work, there 3 cars were parked in the lane on the west side of Elston between Cortez and Augusta - to be fair it is a bit confusing there right now without the bike symbols on the road, bollards or signage.

I noticed that on the curve as well.

I will not be surprised if they end up removing some of the bollards just north of the Division/Elston intersection - trucks seem to be having a hard time making a left onto north Elston from Division due to the fact that the cars going south on Elston don't always stop at the white bar (or whatever that marking is called).

The white bar is called a stop bar. You're close!

Many of the trucks are transporting automobiles and were parked where the bike lane is now. They can't anymore, thank goodness. One I saw Tuesday night was parked in an empty parking lot. The horror. 

I'll be watching this (truck turning difficulties) closer. 

To all: I believe there was a thread from last summer about McGrath car dealership workers parking or driving around cyclists funnily or in the bike lane (don't recall). I ask that those who ride on Elston keep watch over the bike lane. Let's not lose another one. 

Gopher Biker said:

I will not be surprised if they end up removing some of the bollards just north of the Division/Elston intersection - trucks seem to be having a hard time making a left onto north Elston from Division due to the fact that the cars going south on Elston don't always stop at the white bar (or whatever that marking is called).

I'm through that area twice a day and haven't had any issues with the McGrath folks. Here is the link to the discussion you were probably thinking of: http://tinyurl.com/mcgrath-elston

There were at least 17 cars parked in the bike lanes (both sides of the street) on Elston between Augusta and Cortez when I biked through there around 4:30 this afternoon - let me see, at $150/ticket plus towing and storage fees the city could make a bit of coin.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service