The Chainlink

Hello Chicago Cycling community! 

A few months back I posted about a new high tech bike lock we were working on at Northwestern University. We launched it this Friday on Indiegogo.  

If you think this is a good idea, please contribute to the campaign here: http://igg.me/at/haamlock/x/3479638 

We would also just love your feedback! Please let us know what else we can do to improve upon the concept. 

All the best,

Zeina & the HaamLock team 

Views: 1968

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's probably iphone only since Bluetooth LE isn't supported on the android OS yet.  Some android devices support it regardless but I'm not sure how standardized the support is.

Dann B said:

Is the app only for iPhone, or is there an Android version as well?

I have to say that the Bluetooth lock is off-putting for me. I'm not a programmer, so I likely wouldn't understand any explanations of the security protocols in place. That said, what's to stop an evil-genius coder from devising an app that can effectively bypass these protocols? It seems that this sort of lock would create an entirely new method of bike theft.

Thanks for the feedback! This is really helpful!  

To answer some of the questions:

• Right now you do need a smartphone to use the lock. We have thought about adding a keyless card access method as well, similar to the way you enter many office buildings, you would just tap it and it would unlock 
  • The app will be available for iPhone first and will  be released for android as soon as we can after that 
  • HaamLock uses the enhanced security provided by the Bluetooth LE standard. Additionally, we use industry standard encryption to make it next to impossible for the lock to be hacked. In the rare instance that the lock does get hacked, the firmware on the lock can be updated to close any security holes.  
  • Under normal usage the battery will last over a month. The battery can be charged in 3-4 hours after it has been fully depleted. Since, the lock uses a mini-USB port to charge, any external USB power source can be used to power the lock if the battery runs out

Thanks for engaging in the conversation. Quick question, would it be helpful if we released the smart phone application first (for free) and offered other services such as:

• Stolen bike information so you could find out how safe/dangerous a neighborhood is 
  • Gave you information on the closest bike paths & bike racks
  • Allowed you to post to the Stolen bike registry, Facebook & Twitter if your bike was stolen
  • Are there any other features you guys would like to see on a phone app? 

Any feedback here is welcome! It's okay if you call my baby ugly. The more we know now the less time the team will waste on features you're not excited about!

Thanks!

Seems expensive for a lock, the idea that I have to charge it is f'ed.  If the battery dies out and about I have to find a USB power source? What about rain? And I assume the app nags me to charge it, seems to be making my life more complicated. 

The plus is that it might be a good start for a bike share program, you wouldn't need keys people could be invited to share an online code, couple friends, couple bikes. That's the upside of it that I can see.  You should have invited a bunch of chainlinkers up to roundtable this.

What bikers really need is something like this in the states:

"The Milele Tube uses a flexible solid tube and replaces convention... as they say no air no punctures, one guy carried a 400lb load. No flats, I have dreams about it.

H/

Just checking to see if you know that there's a difference between the Stolen Bike Registry and the Chicago Stolen Bicycle Registry (http://stolenbike.org).

How "dangerous" a neighborhood is for bike theft can't be quantified, as you will never have access to a representative sampling of data.  There is no place throughout Chicagoland where one would reasonably recommend anything other than locking to something relatively unmovable and unbreakable with at least one quality U-lock, if not two.

If I could make one suggestion for something that would be helpful in a phone app-- maybe a feature that detects when a cyclist is about to leave a bike unlocked, or locked only with a cable lock (redundant, I know) and delivers an electric shock every time the cyclist tries to walk away from the bicycle.

Zeina Abou-Said said:

Thanks for the feedback! This is really helpful!  

To answer some of the questions:

• Right now you do need a smartphone to use the lock. We have thought about adding a keyless card access method as well, similar to the way you enter many office buildings, you would just tap it and it would unlock 
  • The app will be available for iPhone first and will  be released for android as soon as we can after that 
  • HaamLock uses the enhanced security provided by the Bluetooth LE standard. Additionally, we use industry standard encryption to make it next to impossible for the lock to be hacked. In the rare instance that the lock does get hacked, the firmware on the lock can be updated to close any security holes.  
  • Under normal usage the battery will last over a month. The battery can be charged in 3-4 hours after it has been fully depleted. Since, the lock uses a mini-USB port to charge, any external USB power source can be used to power the lock if the battery runs out

Thanks for engaging in the conversation. Quick question, would it be helpful if we released the smart phone application first (for free) and offered other services such as:

• Stolen bike information so you could find out how safe/dangerous a neighborhood is 
  • Gave you information on the closest bike paths & bike racks
  • Allowed you to post to the Stolen bike registry, Facebook & Twitter if your bike was stolen
  • Are there any other features you guys would like to see on a phone app? 

Any feedback here is welcome! It's okay if you call my baby ugly. The more we know now the less time the team will waste on features you're not excited about!

Thanks!

This looks like a bad idea, not very secure lock, and to me, a waste of money, but you will probably make some money as people like gadgets, even when they arent an improvement over the existing art. You also should probably change your video or funding pledges as the 179/199 level doesn't match. More people need to read this: http://miter.mit.edu/the-unexotic-underclass/

There's certainly some homework missing here, but all things considered, I would much rather people waste their money on this $200 gizmo-lock than on a $15 cable lock.

Thedutchtouch said:

This looks like a bad idea, not very secure lock, and to me, a waste of money, but you will probably make some money as people like gadgets, even when they arent an improvement over the existing art. You also should probably change your video or funding pledges as the 179/199 level doesn't match. More people need to read this: http://miter.mit.edu/the-unexotic-underclass/

Zeina, what's going to stop one of those guys you see walking alone on the sidewalk talking into a bluetooth ear piece but looking directly at you from hacking into this lock.

Thanks.

This seems a bit over-complex for a bike lock, driving the cost up with little or no security advantage.

I'll stick with the $60 hardened, double locking U-lock for now.

With the popularity of Android why start with apple app... is it a cool factor for you, are apple apps easier?

Meh don't care, not something I would buy. To many fail points.what if i dont charge my lock, batteries die, now a super secure lock that is stuck to my bike no where near an outlet.

I wonder how it would fair in a Chicago winter? (batteries don't tend to hold-up long to sub-freezing temps) 

The short and simplistic answer is, yes, iOS apps are easier. Developing the apps themselves is probably a wash, but for Android there are thousands of combinations of devices, brands and software versions to take into account. In practice, no-one really does take them all into account, but I imagine it is nerve-wracking to draw the line. Its openness, probably its greatest selling point for a developer, is also its Achilles' heel:

http://opensignal.com/reports/fragmentation.php

As for the fail points, I agree. Pretty much no-one defeats the current bike locks by picking the lock. In practice it would not compromise security to have a manual over-ride for locking and unlocking. Of course that would drive the price up and the price is already a problem. 

Also, one's batteries can run out in one's phone at the most inconvenient moments as I'm sure some of us have experienced.

Tim S said:

With the popularity of Android why start with apple app... is it a cool factor for you, are apple apps easier?

Meh don't care, not something I would buy. To many fail points.what if i dont charge my lock, batteries die, now a super secure lock that is stuck to my bike no where near an outlet.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service