The Chainlink

I'd be interested to hear about new stations as they pop up.

I was excited to find a new station only 2 blocks from my house last night (a block closer than the planned location):

Views: 4452

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And another...

I was about to Divvy to a movie theater in the S Loop but I looked at the station map and see it's in a Divvy hole large enough to make me reconsider.   Is there a process for a business owner to ask for a station?


h' 1.0 said:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Unrelated Divvy question-- when you hit the "needs repair" button, does someone actually try out the bike?

I had one with funky shifting last night-- would only go into low and high gear.

Been waiting on a Roosevelt Collection station. .. It would make sense! Hoping to see it before Winter, it's been a planned station since the map was released.

h' 1.0 said:

And another...

I was about to Divvy to a movie theater in the S Loop but I looked at the station map and see it's in a Divvy hole large enough to make me reconsider.   Is there a process for a business owner to ask for a station?


h' 1.0 said:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Unrelated Divvy question-- when you hit the "needs repair" button, does someone actually try out the bike?

I had one with funky shifting last night-- would only go into low and high gear.

Yeah, hitting the repair button locks the bike into the station, so no one else can get it.  Then the rebalancer or tech should check it out and either repair it on the spot or bring it back to the shop.

I would think requests for additional stations would go to CDOT for consideration, realizing the federal grant for bike sharing only goes so far.

And today: the station at Stratford & Lake Shore Drive was moved to Belmont & Broadway.
 
h' 1.0 said:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Unrelated Divvy question-- when you hit the "needs repair" button, does someone actually try out the bike?

I had one with funky shifting last night-- would only go into low and high gear.

There's nothing showing as planned on that stretch- not sure if you're referring to the same place.

KayCee said:

Been waiting on a Roosevelt Collection station. .. It would make sense! Hoping to see it before Winter, it's been a planned station since the map was released.

h' 1.0 said:

And another...

I was about to Divvy to a movie theater in the S Loop but I looked at the station map and see it's in a Divvy hole large enough to make me reconsider.   Is there a process for a business owner to ask for a station?


h' 1.0 said:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Unrelated Divvy question-- when you hit the "needs repair" button, does someone actually try out the bike?

I had one with funky shifting last night-- would only go into low and high gear.

Ugh!  I just looked, the planned station is gone... I've been waiting on this station all summer!  I had actually emailed management to ask when they expected it to be installed about a week and a half ago.  I wondered where they'd install a station- it would make sense to put one up on top of the bridge- no options nearby. I had my hopes up a few weeks ago when the Divvy van was parked alongside Target.  (Expletive!!) 

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news :-(

I wonder what happened there? You would think the developer/management/whoever there would be making a major push to host a station considering what a nightmarish struggle they've had trying to fill up all that retail space.

KayCee said:

Ugh!  I just looked, the planned station is gone... I've been waiting on this station all summer!  I had actually emailed management to ask when they expected it to be installed about a week and a half ago.  I wondered where they'd install a station- it would make sense to put one up on top of the bridge- no options nearby. I had my hopes up a few weeks ago when the Divvy van was parked alongside Target.  (Expletive!!) 

So could someone theoretically be an asshat and hit the repair button for all of the bikes in the station, preventing anyone from taking a bike out?

Thunder Snow said:

Yeah, hitting the repair button locks the bike into the station, so no one else can get it.  Then the rebalancer or tech should check it out and either repair it on the spot or bring it back to the shop.

I would think requests for additional stations would go to CDOT for consideration, realizing the federal grant for bike sharing only goes so far.

And today: the station at Stratford & Lake Shore Drive was moved to Belmont & Broadway.
 
h' 1.0 said:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Unrelated Divvy question-- when you hit the "needs repair" button, does someone actually try out the bike?

I had one with funky shifting last night-- would only go into low and high gear.


No, the repair button is only operable for a certain short time after a bike is docked. Bikes that have been docked for a while can't get the repair button to function.  I suppose someone could hit the repair button every single time after docking their bike, but after it happened a few times, with perfectly good bikes being locked in for repair, the pattern of who was doing it would emerge.


Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

So could someone theoretically be an asshat and hit the repair button for all of the bikes in the station, preventing anyone from taking a bike out?

KayCee--have you chatted with your alderman about siting a Divvy station near you?  I'd think that would be a good first step.  Divvy has little to no say in where stations go; CDOT and aldermen do.
 
KayCee said:

Ugh!  I just looked, the planned station is gone... I've been waiting on this station all summer!  I had actually emailed management to ask when they expected it to be installed about a week and a half ago.  I wondered where they'd install a station- it would make sense to put one up on top of the bridge- no options nearby. I had my hopes up a few weeks ago when the Divvy van was parked alongside Target.  (Expletive!!) 

That's good.

Thunder Snow said:


No, the repair button is only operable for a certain short time after a bike is docked. Bikes that have been docked for a while can't get the repair button to function.  I suppose someone could hit the repair button every single time after docking their bike, but after it happened a few times, with perfectly good bikes being locked in for repair, the pattern of who was doing it would emerge.


Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

So could someone theoretically be an asshat and hit the repair button for all of the bikes in the station, preventing anyone from taking a bike out?

Polk & Wolcott (at the Medical Center)

.........and Grace & Ashland.  Sedgwick/Webster has been physically removed for the Marathon, but should be reinstalled by early afternoon today (Sunday).

These stations will be closed until after the race, probably reopening around noon:

Sedgwick & Webster
Wells & Erie
Wabash & Grand
Fairbanks & Grand
May & Taylor
Loomis & Taylor
Morgan & 18th
Halsted & 21st
Normal & Archer

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service