The Chainlink

My commute to the office...I expect to be slammed by some, but not all.

Daytime...last leg into the loop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vslhVSNGV3o

First leg home at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodWWlVTehY

Now don't be too mean...I am a bit sensitive if you didn't know.

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

your duncle said:
First, I'm glad that you are having fun on your bike. Second, give grace to the peds in the crosswalk! I don't care if you clip the heels of the idiots with masters degrees who just dart between trucks and cabs in the middle of the block, but the peds in the crosswalk deserve more respect! Lastly, get some work on the rollers and smooth out that pedal stroke.

Good point, props to the peds in the x-walk. But a lot of it is the video; but I do at times get close. However, never has my bike, or body touched a ped in a x-walk. Well, once...this summer or early fall and it was very minor, not enough to slow him/her or me, a brush. And I ride everyday people. And not just the summer, and not just days when it's not raining, every single day. Well, that's not true too, I did hurt my back early last year and had to take off a week or so. And no, the injury had nothing to do with pedaling.
Erin said:
Who comes out better when a speeding cyclist hits a pedistrian

Seriously...have any of you people hit peds? Like knocked them down/you? Am I somehow an exception to this? Many seem to think that I regularly hit and knock people down??

No...maybe I have a talent for this, as I'm sure many members do, that is an ability to "blend" with traffic, or run against it depending on the moment. But I don't have too many issues unless I choose to.

As a bicycle commuter, what irks me is the people turning right from the middle lane (cabs) long after the light has turned red. And of course the people that think the yellow actually extends into the red in a positive correlation to their speed. E.G., if you're going 45 and the light is turning red, you've got another 2 seconds from when the yellow ends to keep going, at 50, 2.5 seconds.

As I like to say...there is only one shade of red.

The peds who jaywalk are being kinda dumb...but really, as I catch myself doing it now, jaywalking, I have to say that it's pretty easy to forget that bikes also ride the streets. Which makes me a better ped, and I give room to the peds who are crossing in the middle of the block most of the time. Everyone deserves a little grace, which is hard to remember all the time, but you never know what kind of a day that person is having right?
Mark Kenseth said:
hard to watch. pedestrians have the right of way. you must be under 25 years old without a significant other or children.

Incorrect

Correct, however, the conclusion of a long-term relationship a few months ago has had little, if any change in my riding

Correct

Wanna ride with me to work someday?

Snow days are my favorites!
correct. snow days are great.

incorrect. i ride different directions, so i probably can't ride to work with you anytime soon. i ride southwest for work and northwest for school.

Jason Figler said:
Mark Kenseth said:
hard to watch. pedestrians have the right of way. you must be under 25 years old without a significant other or children.

Incorrect

Correct, however, the conclusion of a long-term relationship a few months ago has had little, if any change in my riding

Correct

Wanna ride with me to work someday?

Snow days are my favorites!
I've never hit a pedestrian either, never even come close.
A little too wavy for me...Although would work well as a hypnotizing video.

-Ali
Just an observation:

I know you have defended and claimed video angle and such, and that it's your choice how you ride but it might be some food for thought that such a HUGE percentage of the respondents here have made mention of giving more room to pedestrians.
So let me see if I understand your response.

You say it's ok to weave among people crossing the street with the light on the crosswalk because you have a very low record for running into one.

And yet, it irks you when cars turn from the middle lane or speed to get through a yellow.

So you can be lawless, but cars can't?

And I don't think I'll touch the "I don't have too many issues unless I choose to." comment. I just hope you never choose to get hit by a car, bus or truck.

Jason Figler said:
Erin said:

Seriously...have any of you people hit peds? Like knocked them down/you? Am I somehow an exception to this? Many seem to think that I regularly hit and knock people down??

No...maybe I have a talent for this, as I'm sure many members do, that is an ability to "blend" with traffic, or run against it depending on the moment. But I don't have too many issues unless I choose to.

As a bicycle commuter, what irks me is the people turning right from the middle lane (cabs) long after the light has turned red. And of course the people that think the yellow actually extends into the red in a positive correlation to their speed. E.G., if you're going 45 and the light is turning red, you've got another 2 seconds from when the yellow ends to keep going, at 50, 2.5 seconds.

The peds who jaywalk are being kinda dumb...but really, as I catch myself doing it now, jaywalking, I have to say that it's pretty easy to forget that bikes also ride the streets. Which makes me a better ped, and I give room to the peds who are crossing in the middle of the block most of the time. Everyone deserves a little grace, which is hard to remember all the time, but you never know what kind of a day that person is having right?
it does happen--a jaywalking pedesrian RAN right into me as i legally crossed in front of him on my green. he was looking the other way to make sure he didn't get hit by a car that was down the block. i could not get out of his way as he accelerated into me. yeah, it would suck to get hit by a car, but if my bike and i hit you it's going to hurt a lot too. so now i'm careful when i know that the ped doesn't realize i'm near them, because who knows what the hell they're about to do.

Jason Figler said:
Erin said:

Video_Drome said:
I've probably seen you riding on jefferson as this is the main part of my morning route I do in the south loop (i deliver pay checks for a client of the company i work for). You basically road down my morning route. At Jefferson and Adams, I feel you cut it close to that silver car on purpose just for the sake of "getting a close call for my video".
I also wasn't feeling your little move on monroe and clinton where you sort of dart into traffic heading south on clinton, then falling into a line of cars going east on monroe. Plus, you rode through some nasty potholes because of that. Then right after, you pass on the right. But you do however seem to be on your game on the hill between wacker and and franklin on monroe (you squeeze between 2 taxis and i'm SURE you were riding your break) but then you decide to dart into traffic on wells. Then you squeeze between a bus and a taxi when all you really need to do is go one lane over and cruise the middle. And then comes my favorite part where you STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION FOR A COP TO PASS, THEN YOU TRY AND CUT THE COP CAR!!! what are you thinking?
And 6 Minutes from Jefferson and Harrison to 1 south dearborn is pretty slow if you ask me. Even with the red lights and close calls

edit:

amazing that you don't die? I do that for 8 hours a day. PLEASE.

Nothing about my ride was done for "cinematic drama." I do/did not get any closer to any cars just b/c this was being recorded.

I did not post this to impress you with my speed, or lack of.

I just posted for the hell of it. Moreover, I can appreciate your Monday morning quarterback-ness...thanks for the tips...but I have a typical route I take, typical lanes and well, they work for me. Feel free to tag along someday and "show me how it's done" please. I look forward to your tutelage.
Additionally, why not enter the alley off Dearborn south of Madison instead of going the wrong way down Madison? Or was that move for added drama?

But seriously, are you holding packages that people are waiting for? Why is everyone so aggressive? What's the hurry? You're like that guy that blazes 100 mph past you, and then you both get to the same place and he is still fumbling around in his looking for his dirty underwear.

I understand the whole "fun in traffic" aspect, but give respect (space) to the people that are doing things the right way.
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
So let me see if I understand your response.
You say it's ok to weave among people crossing the street with the light on the crosswalk because you have a very low record for running into one. And yet, it irks you when cars turn from the middle lane or speed to get through a yellow. So you can be lawless, but cars can't?

And I don't think I'll touch the "I don't have too many issues unless I choose to." comment. I just hope you never choose to get hit by a car, bus or truck.

Jason Figler said:
Erin said:

Look...is it okay for me to do what I do on my ride? I don't know, who is to answer this? There really is no right or wrong here it's all perspective.

As cyclists I think we all can say that when riding in the loop we are charged with being far more aware than the people walking, or the people in cars/truck/buses driving. Our lives depend on it far more than the motorized transportation people do. They hit shit downtown, big deal, a bent fender, a scratched bumper, no biggie. We/I get hit and it's far more serious. The same for peds. Certainly I ride with a bit of selfishness and some might call me an jerk, an ass, or other things. And indeed going between peds is inconsiderate. But I guess in the ROI aspect of it all I've chosen that this is how I roll. But, as stated earlier, I do verbally apologize when a particular dick move is executed on a ped.

And really, it's just a commute, it is not warfare right? However, there is not too much concern on the part of most four, and six wheelers for my personal safety...that is mostly my concern.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service