Muti to return Feb 3 (was Proud of Chicago: Riccardo Muti Welcoming Event)

http://cso.org/TicketsAndEvents/EventDetails.aspx?eid=3664

Pretty big deal-- the CSO never plays at Millenium Park, and very very rarely for free -- this is a special "Concert for Chicago" to kick off Riccardo Muti's tenure as the new Music Director.

Bombastic program including Respighi's "Pines of Rome" and Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet."

Food/drink allowed . . . probably want to be there at 4:30 to stake out seats, or by 5 to get lawn space (maybe earlier.)

Go on Marauders, roll out of bed around 2 and start moseying downtown . . . perfect day.

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Previous years the CSO has also given a free concert, on the day following opening night and usually a repeat of that show at Symphony Center as well as all day music around the hall. This year Muti decided on the park so the most people come enjoy the show.

During the show they gave out ticket discounts. I believe the upper balcony seats are between $23-38 each, which I think is actually quite reasonable for how great the music is. There are also additional discounts for students and programs to bring music to everyone. I think our city really does an amazing job of bringing culture to the people. The chicago civic orchestra has free open concerts, and the grant park orchestra performs all summer long. The cultrual center has free concets twice a week. While there can always be more outreach, I think it is worth noting how much this city does to bring music to the people.

Liz W. Durham said:
Ok ok. Typo on my part. Also, I get your clarifying point. I took your statement in broader terms than you intended. :-)

The music was amazing and the CSO definitely has an outstanding new director in Muti.
The mass of people wanting to hear the performance was incredible. Of course, given the costs of tickets to a CSO show, it probably should not be a surprise at the numbers in attendance. A free performance is just about the only way many folks can get to hear the CSO.

H3N3 said:
Subsidizing the arts...

how much money should the government be giving Lady Gaga?

H3N3 said:
I suppose it was only a matter of time until this turned into a complaint about Daley and the city . . . we don't subsidize the arts here like they do in Europe (and even in Europe the subsidies have dried up with general economic belt-tightening) so be angry at American culture for not being European culture.
Heh, What a "meat-hat" thing to say...

:P

H3N3 said:
Begin Phase II of Symphony Discussion: Subsidizing the Arts.
Take it away, James.
Wasn't complaining about Mayor Daley and the city. (But hey, jab away...this is how you like to play?) And I don't feel angry at American culture. I actually think Chicago has a lot to offer and I greatly appreciate events and experiences like Sunday's show.

Subsidizing the arts? You care to elaborate?

H3N3 said:
I suppose it was only a matter of time until this turned into a complaint about Daley and the city . . .
So did you wind up locking up at the Cycle Center?

Last time I was at the Art Institute and it looked like rain I almost parked there, but the free room was off in a corner, completely unobserved, empty, kinda spooky, and had a weird DIY sign-in system. I felt that others must know something I don't know and so I just parked outside next to the institute. I'm curious if the free parking inside the center actually gets used for big events like this (the monthly paid parking was much nicer).

milesperhour said:
I'm going to lock up at the McDonald's Cycle Center. I called and they said there is enough free parking for an event like tonight. Has anyone ever locked up there?
I called ahead because the website made it sound like they have free indoor parking. I thought it sounded too good to be true and it was. When I got there they pointed me to outdoor parking behind the facility and told me they had security cameras there. Yes, because we all know how much of a deterrent cameras are to crime. In reality the place was so packed, I can't imagine a bike getting stolen, but I took my bike on the lawn with me. I was more or less sitting behind the shell. I never made it into the field and I left after 15 minutes because I couldn't hear anything and the girl sitting next to me wouldn't shut up. "like omg"

It's a shame that the city doesn't offer indoor, secure parking. The bike I prefer to ride, I don't dare lock-up so I can only take it places where I can bring it inside or keep beside me at all times.

David said:
So did you wind up locking up at the Cycle Center?

Last time I was at the Art Institute and it looked like rain I almost parked there, but the free room was off in a corner, completely unobserved, empty, kinda spooky, and had a weird DIY sign-in system. I felt that others must know something I don't know and so I just parked outside next to the institute. I'm curious if the free parking inside the center actually gets used for big events like this (the monthly paid parking was much nicer).

milesperhour said:
I'm going to lock up at the McDonald's Cycle Center. I called and they said there is enough free parking for an event like tonight. Has anyone ever locked up there?
Keep your eye on the weather forecasts...

H3N3 said:
Muti scheduled to return . . . not counting my chickens.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service