The Chainlink

It is time this Saturday for the Midnight Marauders 4th annual Subterranean Ride. This has been the most popular ride we have put on since its inception. Basically it is a tour of the underground, and sub street level roads, oddities, attractions, and distractions in the down town area. For first timers, it will be a chance to see places that you probably never would, and for veterans, yet another chance to figure out “Where the hell did we go?” There will be some exciting new twists this year if we can pull them off, so even veterans will experience some new things.

For those unaware, there is a labyrinth of streets, tunnels and service roads under the city that only people that work there normally see, but this month Marauders get too as well.

We will meet at the traditional location, the Billy Goat Tavern, 430 N. Michigan Av(lowerlevel), at 11pm, August the 21st. It is located at the intersection of Hubbard, and Lower Michigan Av., if you cant find it go downstairs. There will be a couple rougher sections on the ride, but any serviceable bike should work.

This is not a trailer friendly ride, unless it is a single wheel jobbie.

Martin

Views: 577

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Marne Provost said:
Laura, I can't wait for winter as well. I was already telling people that during the ride.

It was a difficult ride at times, but I believe we did the best we could.

I don't know if you caught it, Marne, but there was an important development at the front.
It seems that Martin has been promoted-- he's now "the man." Not Mayor Daley, not Dick Cheney, not the CEO of BP or General Motors or Exxon, but the guy who organizes a monthly midnight bicycle ride is the guy you want to make your rebellious stand against.
Congratulations Martin!
That's awesome! ;-) Congrats Martin! You're the man! ;-)
Good time for my first Marauders ride! It was pretty crowded. Tough staying focused and upright as the night progressed. Organizers did an awesome job under clearly challenging circumstances! Thanks guys!
Word up Martin! Thanks for keeping it real with that CM type crowd. That last tunnel was the icing on the Maurauding cake.
The concept of a 4 mile long unobstructed tunnel/access road as a Marauders private expressway was quite awesome. That was genius. Thanks Martin Da Man and everyone else that put it together.
Post ride report:
Saturday night’s ride set a new record for the Marauders. We had counts of 212, and 220. Either way about a hundred over any previous ride. There were motorcyclists that met up with us, naked guys, and mayhem aplenty. At times it looked like Critical Mass. Thanks to the diligent efforts of the Council and others, we were able to pull this off. Not even a report of an injury. It was difficult, and I was short with some of the new riders, but as we all know it was for all of our own good. Shit I even stayed relatively sober. I think the most remarkable part was the complete lack of police. They tailed us with squad cars and even a boat the entire ride last year with 35% of this years turn out.
So I think we can call this a success-but it was close. We stretched the limits on what the Marauders organization can handle on this one.
Looking forward to the winter.
Martin
I finally finished downloading all my helmet cam footage this morning (took 14 hours to process). I pretty much have the entire ride on film up to the middle section of the really long access rode at the end. It's really weird watching the entire ride from my drunken perspective and believe you me I was pretty drunk :)

I'm also surprised how good most of the footage looks; the helmet mounting experiment worked well. I'm gonna try to get up a 15min edited version asap (Youtube limitation). I'll post a link in this thread and on the Marauders Group page once it's up on my youtube page.
What helmet camera are you using dude? I tried to talk myself into a Helmet Hero HD type camera, but at $299, I can't justify it...

Ryan L said:
I finally finished downloading all my helmet cam footage this morning (took 14 hours to process). I pretty much have the entire ride on film up to the middle section of the really long access rode at the end. It's really weird watching the entire ride from my drunken perspective and believe you me I was pretty drunk :)

I'm also surprised how good most of the footage looks; the helmet mounting experiment worked well. I'm gonna try to get up a 15min edited version asap (Youtube limitation). I'll post a link in this thread and on the Marauders Group page once it's up on my youtube page.
The GoPro Hero HD is exactly what I have. $300 is a steal considering it's 1080p and pretty much bomb proof. In the daytime it's amazing, night time is not as good obviously but no camcorder is great without a proper light source. I also got some shots with my iPhone 4 which I'm gonna splice in. I was going to output the video a 720P anyway, 1080p is too large a file size for youtube.
Stop using Youtube and switch to Vimeo - Youtube is terrible

Ryan L said:
The GoPro Hero HD is exactly what I have. $300 is a steal considering it's 1080p and pretty much bomb proof. In the daytime it's amazing, night time is not as good obviously but no camcorder is great without a proper light source. I also got some shts with my iPhone 4 which I'm gonna splice in. I was going to output the video a 720P anyway, 1080p is too large a file size for youtube.
Yeah, I do need to do that Aaron; although, the $10 a month does not make me happy in the pants.
Cool, I'm curious to see the video. I want to see how it shoots in "real life". I don't trust their sample videos on the site, with their controlled conditions and post sweetening...

Ryan L said:
The GoPro Hero HD is exactly what I have. $300 is a steal considering it's 1080p and pretty much bomb proof. In the daytime it's amazing, night time is not as good obviously but no camcorder is great without a proper light source. I also got some shots with my iPhone 4 which I'm gonna splice in. I was going to output the video a 720P anyway, 1080p is too large a file size for youtube.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service