The Chainlink

The Tribune is reporting that Metra will be banning bikes on Friday due to the Blackhawks parade.

Views: 3257

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

RE : "It's only one day"  ... well not really. It seems the list of METRA (bike) black-out days expands more and more. First for taste of Chicago; then Blues/Jazz Fest; Lollapalooza, air and water show, Crosstown Classic (Soxf vs. Cubs) then blah blah blah.....when you add up all the

black out days I bet it amounts to quite a bit.

There are lots of lock-out days, and rush hour every weekday. For people with regular job hours, this relegates the bike to occasional use and requires a ready-to-use back-up transportation modality. Until METRA provides *regular* (meaning "at all times") bike accommodations, IMO the only way to commute by bike and rail is to use a folder.

This morning, as I rode down the more-crowded-than-usual platform, I saw pitying expressions on several faces... "poor guy; he doesn't know about the block-out". Normal commute, not a peep out of the conductor. :-)

Steve

dan brown said:

RE : "It's only one day"  ... well not really. It seems the list of METRA (bike) black-out days expands more and more. First for taste of Chicago; then Blues/Jazz Fest; Lollapalooza, air and water show, Crosstown Classic (Soxf vs. Cubs) then blah blah blah.....when you add up all the

Literally all of the bicycle accommodations we have now are the result of cyclists speaking up and giving of their time and energy to elevate their collective status. 
It seems to me that the majority of us understand this-- let's not let those who don't drag us backwards.

Michael B said:

People who own cars deal with the situation when there car is in the shop etc. It's only one day. You could be a commuter on the Red Line who has their station closed for 5 months. I'm sorry to offend you. Happy Friday

igz said:

sorry, but i take a bit of offense to your comment Michael, even as an intrepid cyclist defying death.  when your bike is necessary for your commute to work along with metra (not mere recreation), take that away and you create a difficult situation.  ill present that in another viewpoint - take someone who drives to work every day. then, one day, take that car away. its a really big inconvenience.  its the same thing. and statistically, drivers are much more death defying.  it should be fairly obvious. that was rather insensitive, dude.

Cool Steve!  I'll use my Dahon next time I have to use Metra on a black out day!

Steve Weeks said:

There are lots of lock-out days, and rush hour every weekday. For people with regular job hours, this relegates the bike to occasional use and requires a ready-to-use back-up transportation modality. Until METRA provides *regular* (meaning "at all times") bike accommodations, IMO the only way to commute by bike and rail is to use a folder.

This morning, as I rode down the more-crowded-than-usual platform, I saw pitying expressions on several faces... "poor guy; he doesn't know about the block-out". Normal commute, not a peep out of the conductor. :-)

Steve

dan brown said:

Just be sure to remember the bag... some of the condutors can be sticky about it< and it *is* the rule.

Steve

Matt M. 18.5KM said:

Cool Steve!  I'll use my Dahon next time I have to use Metra on a black out day!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service