The Chainlink

I am looking to buy an indoor bike trainer and want to know if anyone has any recommendations. Looking to spend around $200.

Thanks,

Karen

Views: 603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a cycleops fluid2 that works well although I hear they're prone to leaking. You may be able to get a decent deal on these since they're discontinued.  If you have the money or can find a good deal on ebay or elsewhere the kurt kinetic roll & rock or road machines are really good and quiet.  Otherwise, I'd suggest getting a magnetic or wind trainer.  They are usually a bit louder (much louder for the wind trainers) than fluid trainers but a cheap fluid trainer would probably end up leaking fluid and making a mess as well as becoming useless.

I have a Kurt Kinetic road trainer. Its pretty smooth and quiet. Unfortunately, my current bike has weird dropouts and I can't use it anymore. I recommend it, its very well built and the resistance is good. If you want to test drive mine for a couple days to see how you like it, let me know.

Cycleops Fluid 2 is NOT discontinued; they did have some issues five years ago but current models are a new design for the fluid head.

S said:

I have a cycleops fluid2 that works well although I hear they're prone to leaking. You may be able to get a decent deal on these since they're discontinued.  If you have the money or can find a good deal on ebay or elsewhere the kurt kinetic roll & rock or road machines are really good and quiet.  Otherwise, I'd suggest getting a magnetic or wind trainer.  They are usually a bit louder (much louder for the wind trainers) than fluid trainers but a cheap fluid trainer would probably end up leaking fluid and making a mess as well as becoming useless.

Thanks for your suggestions- hope someone is selling one on craigs list.  Otherwise I'm just going to keep riding in the snow-which can be fun!

I'm looking too. I did see a couple on craigslist over the past few days. Search 'trainer' under bikes. Any cycling computers best to use with a trainer/rollers?

Greetings Karen,

My wife uses this one at our house and it is great:

http://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=WT7034

Key thing for us is we have trainer on hardwood floors (actually trainer mat) across the hall from my home office. When she is on it, I simply shut the doors and I can't hear a thing. On same note, doesn't appear that we'll have a winter this year so option B is spend some $$$ on hat, gloves and boots and come on out and ride. Winter riding makes you feel healthy kind of like a horse :) - if trainer looks good to you give us a call at the shop. We'll get it much closer to your budget. Ride on!

I did hear that fluid trainers were less noisy but will check it out.  I've been riding every winter for a few years, about 16 miles a day- think I'm turning into a wimp.

Eric Puetz - Smart Bike Parts said:

Greetings Karen,

My wife uses this one at our house and it is great:

http://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=WT7034

Key thing for us is we have trainer on hardwood floors (actually trainer mat) across the hall from my home office. When she is on it, I simply shut the doors and I can't hear a thing. On same note, doesn't appear that we'll have a winter this year so option B is spend some $$$ on hat, gloves and boots and come on out and ride. Winter riding makes you feel healthy kind of like a horse :) - if trainer looks good to you give us a call at the shop. We'll get it much closer to your budget. Ride on!

Hmm, I thought that the jetfluid trainers replaced the fluid 2 when cycleops did their big marketing push a 2-3 years ago and introduced the pro models and the jetfluid trainer.  Looking at the website, it looks like they kept the older models with a few revisions.

Anne said:

Cycleops Fluid 2 is NOT discontinued; they did have some issues five years ago but current models are a new design for the fluid head.

May I recommend a Stationary Bike.   Save the wear on your precious.  They're smaller and more spouse friendly. I've seen good quality spin bikes online and at play it again sports for around 200.

I don't have enough room for another bike at my place. I've been looking for indoor trainers too, preferrably one small. Didn't even think about a "mess" a fluid one would have. This should be a little easier to find, don't you think?

People often buy home exercise equipment and then never use it. Look for a used one; it will probably be just as good as new.

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service