The Chainlink

As the title says I'm looking for an old British sturmey archer 3 speed hub and any make of older front drum brake hub.

They'll be going on a 700 series wheel so loose hubs would be best but don't be shy about posting up hubs that are laced to other sized wheels as I've got metal cutting tools to fix that problem. :)

Also looking for a NITTO Technomic Long stem with 25.4 clamp diameter. Might be open to other brands just needs to be long.

Thanks
Christopher

Views: 720

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Christopher, sorry for the delay on the front drum hub details! I'll get you the pics tonight.

Thanks JimmyD, let me know when you dig it out.

Christopher, here are some pics of that front drum hub I have.

I believe it IS a Sturmey Archer (see the last pic with "S-A LTD ENGLAND" stamped in the brake pad).

I will take some video for you tonight or this weekend to illustrate the only flaw I have found with the hub... the axle seems to be slightly bent on both sides; however, I honestly don't believe it would hinder the performance of the hub much given the way they are bent. I'll shoot a video turning the axle so you can see how many degrees the bend is. Just looking at the hub, it's not noticeable, but you can see it when you turn the axle.

Anyways... this post is worthless without PICS!

Brake side...

Brake side (brake mech pulled out)...

Other side...

Brake mech in static mode...

Brake mech actuated with lever...

Sturmey Archer stamp...

Thanks Jimmy

What's the wheel size the drums currently laced into?

Also what's the hub diameter?

Where are rhe axles bent and does the axle have play at the bearings?

Thanks
Christopher

Christopher

You can buy a brand new one for $55.00. For $33.00 more you can get one with a generator. I would spring for the 90mm version, though. That one is here.

I spoke to someone at tonight's Critical Mass ride who had one. Not sure if it was the 70mm or the 90mm, but it did have the generator.  He said it was great in the rain, but he was disappointed in the stopping power. He was going to try some tricks with the shoes to improve the stopping.

Check out the Sturmey Archer website. They have a lot of cool stuff. The bar end shifter really opens up possibilities. I like the hub with reverse.

Good luck!

My experience with the current Sturmey Archer (SA) is anecdotal of course, but it has been a bad. I built a wheel around a new SA three speed with coaster brake and after about a year it was self shifting and then one day it locked up on me. In an intersection. On Archer Avenue. Needless to say it has been off the bike since. The point my story is, while we've all heard stories about the old SA hubs lasting for decades, the new SA in Taiwan is not the same SA.

That said, I'm still tempted to try one of their front drums...  

Garth Liebhaber said:

You can buy a brand new one for $55.00. For $33.00 more you can get one with a generator. I would spring for the 90mm version, though. That one is here.

I spoke to someone at tonight's Critical Mass ride who had one. Not sure if it was the 70mm or the 90mm, but it did have the generator.  He said it was great in the rain, but he was disappointed in the stopping power. He was going to try some tricks with the shoes to improve the stopping.

Check out the Sturmey Archer website. They have a lot of cool stuff. The bar end shifter really opens up possibilities. I like the hub with reverse.

Good luck!

My daily rig has a S2C which was defective and a X-FDD front hub that has been perfect. SA sent new "guts" for the S2C to get it rolling again which was pretty cool but do you really want to service a new hub? Not great odds but I'd still buy more stuff from SA as they at least back up their products.

Archer Avenue... is that prophetic?  :o

Too bad about the rear hubs. I'm still tempted to build a bike utilizing front and rear drums with generator and internal gears.  I think the Pashley Princess Sovereign is a really cool bike, with the chain case, fenders, and all, but the diamond frame versions are just a bit too "stodgy" for me...

The coaster brake hubs suck horribly and tend to fail.  Same with the coaster brake kick back hubs.  Stay away from them and the 8 speeds and you are fine with Sturmey stuff. 

Tony Adams 6.6 mi said:

My experience with the current Sturmey Archer (SA) is anecdotal of course, but it has been a bad. I built a wheel around a new SA three speed with coaster brake and after about a year it was self shifting and then one day it locked up on me. In an intersection. On Archer Avenue. Needless to say it has been off the bike since. The point my story is, while we've all heard stories about the old SA hubs lasting for decades, the new SA in Taiwan is not the same SA.

That said, I'm still tempted to try one of their front drums...  

Garth Liebhaber said:

Good luck!

In need of one more 36 hole Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub.

Anyone? :)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service