The Chainlink

Hi!

I am looking to purchase a bicycle trailer that will allow me to haul some small, foldable pieces of furniture and a large box to a craft show. Does anyone have experience with hauling larger loads on their bicycles, and what kinds of trailers do you recommend?

I will also have another cyclist there to help me haul some things as well, but I'd like to put a two small folding tables (think tv trays, maybe a little larger), a folding chair, a box holding my clothing rack, and my clothing to sell.

Is this doable, or am I out of my mind? Thanks for your thoughts.

Views: 980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone else with some more helpful, practical advice? I have googled bike trailers, and get a lot of little kiddie trailers. Is this practical to haul tables and chairs?

MK-- fair amount of experience here.

Can you say a bit about:

-how far you need to haul this stuff e.g from where to where

-your bike (model, style, etc.)

-where and how you would store the trailer when not in use

-how strong a rider you are

-your general technical/mechanical skill level?

Thx...

Sure, I would need to haul it 7-10 miles, from Edgewater to Avondale, but possibly further in the future. My bike is a mixie 10 speed cruiser/road bike type. Everyone is always shocked when I keep up with the road bikes out there because it looks like a lazy cruiser but rides like a road bike. It's a bit on the heavy side, however.

I would ideally either keep the trailer in my bike room which is down a small flight of steps but is roomy and has plenty of room to lock it to a bike rack, or folded in my apartment, which in this case it would need to be very fold-able. So, depending on the trailer, this will determine where I store it, if that makes sense.

I'm a fairly strong rider, but don't do long trips when I don't have to. I ride around town often, at my own cruiser-ly speed to work, to play, to run errands, etc.

I like to fix my bicycle when I can and am not afraid of getting dirty, and keep my bicycle maintained but definitely need help often enough because I am no expert. I can adjust my brakes, I can oil my chain, I can change my tubes, and that's about it right now.

Hope this helps your thoughts!

Also, I should say I'm looking for something under 350 if possible : )

I have a burley travoy and find it very versatile, you could take a look at it as it is the lightest most portable trailer I found. You can use it with out without the bags( they tend to be expensive )

Also, how heavy is the stuff you are looking to transport?  Weight is more important than bulk.  Most of the cheaper kiddie trailers top out at about 100lbs or so carrying load.  If you are under that then you could get by with just about any trailer if you can pack it in.  

I use a child trailer for everything.  i've over-loaded it a few times but for the most part rarely  need to carry more than 120-125lbs of stuff.  I'm pretty handy and have contemplated making it into a flatbed and mounting a large rubbermaid tub in it but I sort of like the way it is now and the ease of loading and unloading it and the fairly weather-proof cover it has.  Plus a child-type trailer tends to cause drivers to really drive much calmer around me.

Thanks!

Still need a slightly better picture of the bike-- would be good to know if it's internal hub, but more importantly what the dropout looks like in terns of what sort of hitch it would need.

I don't have any experience with the Burleys personally-- they seem to have a lot of proponents but I think they're kind of pricey.

IMO the best deal out there that would work well for you is one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Trailer-Kit-trailer-/280412450302?p...

Add a 2'x4' piece of plywood, some sturdy hooks, and there's room for two 18 gal totes for your crafts:

Put the tables and chairs on top of the bins, bungee down, and good to go.

The trailer stores upright and takes up very little space.

Very easy hitch mechanism.

Would be happy to assemble it for you.

I've built 5 now, I think-- here's the latest (only about 30" long to fit the instrument case-- the kit calls for 3x2 but I usually go 2'x4'.)

And here it is upright on the red line (advantage of having the wheels close to the back edge):

Probably the absolute best trailer for your needs would be a Bike at Work, but even the short one is out of your price range:

http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/



M K said:

Sure, I would need to haul it 7-10 miles, from Edgewater to Avondale, but possibly further in the future. My bike is a mixie 10 speed cruiser/road bike type. Everyone is always shocked when I keep up with the road bikes out there because it looks like a lazy cruiser but rides like a road bike. It's a bit on the heavy side, however.

I would ideally either keep the trailer in my bike room which is down a small flight of steps but is roomy and has plenty of room to lock it to a bike rack, or folded in my apartment, which in this case it would need to be very fold-able. So, depending on the trailer, this will determine where I store it, if that makes sense.

I'm a fairly strong rider, but don't do long trips when I don't have to. I ride around town often, at my own cruiser-ly speed to work, to play, to run errands, etc.

I like to fix my bicycle when I can and am not afraid of getting dirty, and keep my bicycle maintained but definitely need help often enough because I am no expert. I can adjust my brakes, I can oil my chain, I can change my tubes, and that's about it right now.

Hope this helps your thoughts!

I'm thinking about the child trailer because they're all over Craigslist and for my needs 100lbs cargo is more than sufficient.

However, this one looks pretty sweet for the price ($100/180lb cap.):

http://www.aosombiketrailers.com/Elite-Bike-Cargo-Trailer--Medium_p...

edit: usually $120, sale lasts 9 more hours

Same thing, larger but at a better price than the sale on the medium (the large has a steel bottom, too, just covered by the bag):

http://www.aosombiketrailers.com/Elite-Bike-Cargo-Trailer--Large-_p...

MagMileMarauder said:

I'm thinking about the child trailer because they're all over Craigslist and for my needs 100lbs cargo is more than sufficient.

However, this one looks pretty sweet for the price ($100/180lb cap.):

http://www.aosombiketrailers.com/Elite-Bike-Cargo-Trailer--Medium_p...

edit: usually $120, sale lasts 9 more hours

Out of Stock :(

Melanie K said:

Same thing, larger but at a better price than the sale on the medium (the large has a steel bottom, too, just covered by the bag):

http://www.aosombiketrailers.com/Elite-Bike-Cargo-Trailer--Large-_p...

MagMileMarauder said:

I'm thinking about the child trailer because they're all over Craigslist and for my needs 100lbs cargo is more than sufficient.

However, this one looks pretty sweet for the price ($100/180lb cap.):

http://www.aosombiketrailers.com/Elite-Bike-Cargo-Trailer--Medium_p...

edit: usually $120, sale lasts 9 more hours

We just went through this last week.

We ended up buying a Burley Travoy for hauling boxes of books to the post office. It's the most compact and lightweight solution. It holds up to 60 lbs but it may not be large enough for everything you want to haul.

The Burley Flatbed would easily tote all your gear. No rear gate or cover however.

The Burley Nomad is just within your budget and includes a cover and compartments.

Avoid the Aosom or other sub-$200 designs. They weigh twice as much as the Burleys and some do not fold up. You will not be happy trying to store them at home or when you set up to sell at outside locations. The overall finish quality and engineering is better on the Burleys too.

This is intriguing. Does the kit just include the hardware? Interesting thought, but if it is just the hardware, why does it cost around $100? Just curious, although it's an interesting option and may be good for what I'm looking to do.

h' said:

Thanks!

Still need a slightly better picture of the bike-- would be good to know if it's internal hub, but more importantly what the dropout looks like in terns of what sort of hitch it would need.

I don't have any experience with the Burleys personally-- they seem to have a lot of proponents but I think they're kind of pricey.

IMO the best deal out there that would work well for you is one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Trailer-Kit-trailer-/280412450302?p...

Add a 2'x4' piece of plywood, some sturdy hooks, and there's room for two 18 gal totes for your crafts:

Put the tables and chairs on top of the bins, bungee down, and good to go.

The trailer stores upright and takes up very little space.

Very easy hitch mechanism.

Would be happy to assemble it for you.

I've built 5 now, I think-- here's the latest (only about 30" long to fit the instrument case-- the kit calls for 3x2 but I usually go 2'x4'.)

And here it is upright on the red line (advantage of having the wheels close to the back edge):

Probably the absolute best trailer for your needs would be a Bike at Work, but even the short one is out of your price range:

http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/



M K said:

Sure, I would need to haul it 7-10 miles, from Edgewater to Avondale, but possibly further in the future. My bike is a mixie 10 speed cruiser/road bike type. Everyone is always shocked when I keep up with the road bikes out there because it looks like a lazy cruiser but rides like a road bike. It's a bit on the heavy side, however.

I would ideally either keep the trailer in my bike room which is down a small flight of steps but is roomy and has plenty of room to lock it to a bike rack, or folded in my apartment, which in this case it would need to be very fold-able. So, depending on the trailer, this will determine where I store it, if that makes sense.

I'm a fairly strong rider, but don't do long trips when I don't have to. I ride around town often, at my own cruiser-ly speed to work, to play, to run errands, etc.

I like to fix my bicycle when I can and am not afraid of getting dirty, and keep my bicycle maintained but definitely need help often enough because I am no expert. I can adjust my brakes, I can oil my chain, I can change my tubes, and that's about it right now.

Hope this helps your thoughts!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service