The Chainlink

I'm going to put an end to my cold, wet feet once and for all. I think I'd prefer a MTB shoe since I want something with good traction for walking on snow/ice. Here's what I've found:

I found a good thread on winter MTB shoes.

Do you know of any other winter cycling shoes? Where can we try these out in Chicago? Do you own any of these? What do you think?

Views: 473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More ideas/suggestions at the Icebike site - http://www.icebike.org/Clothing/footwear.htm
Don't buy the Sidi's. They're warm and everything, but the combination of the hard plastic bottom and horrible grip design make it so that if you step on any ice you will fall. They are the slipperiest goddamn shoes you will ever buy. I fell walking in those things multiple times last winter. You might as well buy greased teflon slippers.
Where I can get me some greased teflon slippers??? That is the real question.

The Nefarious Dinosaur Patrol said:
Don't buy the Sidi's. They're warm and everything, but the combination of the hard plastic bottom and horrible grip design make it so that if you step on any ice you will fall. They are the slipperiest goddamn shoes you will ever buy. I fell walking in those things multiple times last winter. You might as well buy greased teflon slippers.
I use a pair of sandals like Tevas or Lakes as crazy as that sounds. Use a pair of gore-tex socks and then a heavy pair of wool socks over those. If it is too cold the NEOS over boots go on. My feat stay pretty warm. Too much insulation can cut off ones circulation in regular riding shoes.
When its below 10 degrees you are going to need a personal deity to keep your feet warm if you are out for more than 45 minutes no matter what is covering your tootsies. Take it from an iceboat/cyclist.
I agree about the lakes. I've had the same pair for going on my 3rd Chicago winter. They have held up. And the Lake company will do maintenance on them if there's a bust somewhere. They aren't as versatile as other as the neos, but I've often felt as though winter at 15 degrees for at least 2 months in a row was enough to make them worth my while.
Steve's Curling Supplies should do the trick.

http://www.shop.stevescurling.com/category.sc?categoryId=25

Lee Diamond said:

The Nefarious Dinosaur Patrol said:

You had the MTB shoes? Theys look like they'd do fine on snow. If the cleats on the sole are hard plastic I could imagine that things could get a little loopy on ice.

I own a couple of pairs of bogs and swear by them. They are fairly cheap at 65 to 80 bucks a pair and they last forever. And they dont look bad either...oh and ya can get them at DSW too

E A said:
Anyone tried the brand called Bog. Seems like these would allow for easy pedaling plus keep the road spray off of you, too...
According to their site, they are:
• 100% waterproof & warm
• Comfort rated from +60 degrees to -40 degrees.
• Non-slip non-marking outsoles
I bought a pair of Sidi Freeze (similar to the Diablos, but insulated) a few years ago mail order during a summer sale. Winter came and I wore them exactly twice - didn't realize that you have to buy them one (at least) size larger:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='6822-04'

They worked great in 20F, other than the fact that they mangled my pinky toes.

Never tried to walk on ice with them, but I suspect that they're terrible, as the design is about the same as my Sidi Genius road shoes.

If anybody wants these, $100 and they're yours. They're 44's, so if you wear 42 1/2 to 43 1/2 they might fit you well.
i use a different boot by diadora: http://brandscycle.com/product/diadora-chili-extreme-mountain-shoes...

i got mine secondhand for about $80, which was well worth it. (the guy i bought them from had bought his typical shoe size, forgetting he'd need room for thick layers of socks and wiggling toes—don't make the same mistake!) after three winters, the shoes have some minor damage that doesn't affect performance. they aren't 100% waterproof, particularly in the ankle material, but they have always done great in snow and moderate slush. rain is another story, one told with plastic bags and extra socks...
Wait a minute....I have to supply my own grease!? Outrageous!

Kevin Conway said:
Steve's Curling Supplies should do the trick.

http://www.shop.stevescurling.com/category.sc?categoryId=25

Lee Diamond said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service