Lincoln Square Tour, Planning Rides, Discussion and Photo exchange

This month Big Shoulders Realty's neighborhood bike tour visits the northside community of Lincoln Square. The tour will be on Sunday August 30, 2009 at our usual starting time of 1:00 PM.

This tour is brought to you by Big Shoulders and the Chainlink. Yay!

Yesterday evening, Leah, Julie and I tooled around looking for interesting buildings, parks and elements of the community. Even this little sneak peak displayed how this area will provide a tour rich with architectural treasures, community parks and places, and even a plethora of green-space. Neighborhoods within the community include Ravenswood, Bowmanville, Budlong Woods, Lincoln Square, and Ravenswood Gardens.

I will be exploring the area a great deal over the next 3 weeks and will announce on this forum discussion at least 2 or 3 other public planning rides for those that are keen to contribute to the tour, or see how we make up our tours.

This will also serve as a post-ride photo-exchange, and any discussions related to the community, its neighborhoods and the built-environment of Lincoln Square.

Cheers all - Lee Diamond!

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the problem with anything like this is phasing. Over such a tight space, this would create a lot of time-phase issues and end up sounding crazy and echo-ey. I am opting for simpler. I simply need to decide the heavy-dutyness/rechargeableness of the portable power supply. It only needs intermittent work over 4-5 hours. It would NOT play music just vocals. I have the self-contained monstrous Active Monitor that will serve as the PA and speakers and Bryan has the hauler. I merely lack adequate power for a decent wattage AC PA system.

Howard, any ideas on the power dealio?

h3 said:
Todd Allen has a little broadcasting system that he built for CM around 2004 or so. We tried it out but the sound quality wasn't up to my snooty standards. Would be adequate for this purpose though.
Here's were I bought my batteries for my sound trailer http://www.batteriesplus.com/ Werker 12V 33 AH AGM Battery W/ Female M6 Terminal - WKA12-33C
Werker AGM batteries are quality tested and inspected to insure the highest standards in performance. This U1 Group Size battery with handle offers speedy connection with a 6mm female threaded terminal and will keep you running throughout the day. Trust Werker AGM batteries.*Free Shipping not available.

Item number: WKA12-33C
Weight: 27.3lbs.
Our Price: $74.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1212 East Central Road,
Mount Prospect 60056


Battery store Hours
Mon—Thurs: 8:00-8:00
Fri : 8:00-8:00
Sat: 9:00-6:00
Sun: 12:00-5:00

Phone Number
847.818.0659
Top Battery Expert
Leo Frederick, Mana



Estimated Shipping
Zip Code: Recalculate
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Select Shipping: UPS Ground UPS 2nd Day Air UPS Next Day Air Saver UPS Next Day Air
Estimated Shipping - this item only:
Subtotal:
*Promotional offers reflected in shopping cart.
*View our shipping policy , carrier(s) and estimated shipping times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quantity:



About this product
Voltage: 12 V Care guidelines >
Chemistry: AGM Batteries Material data safety sheet (MSDS) >
Capacity: 33 Ah Warranty information >


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Applications: Wheelchair and Scooters



h3 said:
Powering an AC appliance via an inverter is a losing proposition, but considering you're only using it for short bursts you ought to be able to make it work. Just be sure you get an inverter that doesn't have an overly sensitive breaker, or you'll be tripping it and having to reset when the battery's not completely fresh and you push it a little harder momentarily.
I'd recommend a sealed lead acid battery of at least 35 aH.
I got an incredible deal on two of these a while back, $25 ea plus shipping I think:
http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-40ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html
Or, if money's no object, get yourself an Optima Yellowtop-- it's the gold standard for mobile audio competetitors. And can handle deep discharge as well.
This is starting to sound like it's going to be pretty tough to pull, and possibly pushing Brian's trailer to the limit (particularly the hitch mechanism and your frame/back tire).
Hmmm. I was thinking about a rechargeable power inverter type thingie like such:

http://www.grabcart.com/product/automotive/misc/limitedgoodsrpat715...

These are commonly used by camper folks and given my limited duration of tours, and a on as I need it sound-system, this seems like it could do the trick, it is pretty compact, and above all, fully rechargeable. The idea of a larger version of the clamp wired connections doesn't seem like it is the best plan if the cart is going to get jostled heavily.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of devices? Recomendations for brands/features?
My dad had one it died. stoped holding a charge & was less than 1yr. old

Lee Diamond said:
Hmmm. I was thinking about a rechargeable power inverter type thingie like such:

http://www.grabcart.com/product/automotive/misc/limitedgoodsrpat715...

These are commonly used by camper folks and given my limited duration of tours, and a on as I need it sound-system, this seems like it could do the trick, it is pretty compact, and above all, fully rechargeable. The idea of a larger version of the clamp wired connections doesn't seem like it is the best plan if the cart is going to get jostled heavily.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of devices? Recomendations for brands/features?
I still think that if you add one more battery like you have it just might work for what your doing. Bungee cords work great for tie-downs. That's what I use on my trailer.I have 1- 10" woofer w/amps. 2-6x9's (1 is attached to my stereo. the other's free.) All is bungeed down with no movement.
Hey Lee; You should look @ Guitar Center. They have an amp. that runs 6aa batterys. Alex from W.T.B. had told me about this before I even started building my trailer. It's called the cube by Roland. They have an aux for your mp3 . I never looked to see if you can use a mic, but I would think that you can either in the aux. or seperate. I just was on there web site a couple of weeks ago & they do have more then 1 model of the cube. Good Luck buddaa38 (aka Tony) :-)
Hey Brian,

I'm now Tony's typist since he got doored today on Clark street. He said to tell you that he'll take your comment in a good way! LOL

Brian Kennedy said:
I can confirm that Tony's setup is loud. I got a good face-melting riding behind him at July's NSCM. I mean that in a good way.

buddaa38 said:
I still think that if you add one more battery like you have it just might work for what your doing. Bungee cords work great for tie-downs. That's what I use on my trailer.I have 1- 10" woofer w/amps. 2-6x9's (1 is attached to my stereo. the other's free.) All is bungeed down with no movement.
Heal up quick Tony!

Here is the link about Tony's dooring....here's hoping he gets better really soon and is back on the bike in no time:

http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/buddaa38-got-doored-today-on

Cheers - Lee

Mrs Buddaa 38 said:
Hey Brian,

I'm now Tony's typist since he got doored today on Clark street. He said to tell you that he'll take your comment in a good way! LOL

Brian Kennedy said:
I can confirm that Tony's setup is loud. I got a good face-melting riding behind him at July's NSCM. I mean that in a good way.

buddaa38 said:
I still think that if you add one more battery like you have it just might work for what your doing. Bungee cords work great for tie-downs. That's what I use on my trailer.I have 1- 10" woofer w/amps. 2-6x9's (1 is attached to my stereo. the other's free.) All is bungeed down with no movement.
SHUCKS!

The actual date of the tour is Sunday August 30, not 31. Being posted shortly.....sorry for the error.
Poster by Ross Felten....brilliant as always....thanks Ross!


Research ride #2 - getting hydration....very important.


Leon's building. I am very fond of building name photographs. Well evidenced in my body of work..


Brilliant lighting on this very pristine courtyard apartment


Krause Music Store detail... Thank you Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Presto.


Brian in front of Queen of Angels by Welles Park.


Great example of old and new Chicago addresses....very cool.


Queen of Angels Rectory


Beautiful brick Queen Anne with Flemish brickwork.

Here is the ride route as it exists thus far....still tweaking....

http://tinyurl.com/lincolnsquare
Rode the route...seems pretty good. Thanks Aaron, Julie and Mike for joining me.

We discussed good places to eat/drink after the ride. We have decided on Bad Dog Tavern at 4535 N Lincoln as it has enough space to accomodate us, whether our group be big....or small!

Anywho, more info here:

http://www.baddogtavern.com/

Hope to see some of you Sunday! Cheers - Lee

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service