The Chainlink

There was a recent discussion on business that block bike lanes.  How about one that covers businesses that go out of their way to accommodate cyclists?

First up - I'd like to nominate  Delaware Dental at Delaware and State.  They are a very nice husband and wife practice that takes all kinds of insurance.  They're on the third floor, but it is not a problem to take your bike on the elevator.  There's a room within the practice to keep your bike, and no one bats an eye when I show up on two wheels in my bike gear.

Defying all stereotypes, my doc doesn't ride a $13,000 Pinarello.  In fact, he's not a cyclist at all.

So who else wants to recommend a business where you are not treated like a criminal for wanting to bring your ride inside, or like a child molester for wearing bike clothes?

Views: 2380

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The fall of REI from what was a great member-owned coop to what it is now pains me.   Many REI's have issues but the Lincoln Park location is probably the worst one I've ever been in.  Don't even get me started about their bike counter.  The rudest,snobbiest, look-down-their-nosiest LBS in town seems like heaven compared to those creeps.

Howard & James,

Since you both have had bad experiences at the Lincoln Park REI, does that negate the support they provide to the local bike community?

Just curious...

Bello Hair Studio, 5250 N. Lincoln (across from the new Dominick's). They invited me to bring my bike in when I had a hair appointment- even though it was winter, and the bike was covered in slush, dirt and road grime and dripping all over the floor. They were super nice and said to bring it in anyway and not to worry about it.  I really appreciated that.

Come to think of it, the Dominick's (approximately 5200 block of North Lincoln Avenue) across from the hair studio is pretty bike friendly as well - they have 3 giant rows of bike racks in front of the store to promote cycling.  Sadly, their prices are not all that great, but it is really convenient to be able to hop off my bike and lock it right in front of the store. 

As for REI, I also have had nothing but good experiences bringing in my bike- and the one bike mechanic we spoke to on duty was an old guy who was into touring and was super friendly and knowledgeable about gear and camping-he did not try to sell us anything, and even adjusted a few things on our bikes for free. Of course, on another occasion, the younger mechanics acted as if I was invisible as they were too busy trying to upsell people on gear instead of manning the counter of the bike shop area, so I can see where rudeness may come into play regarding some of the employees.  I have also been to Northbrook REI bike shop, and they were really nice over there as well.

I take my bike into North Halsted Home Depot.  Several people ask me if I need help; nobody's told me to leave bike outside yet.

I don't know what you mean by "the support they've given the local bike community."

You'd need to be a little more specific about that.  Ideally in another thread. 

Shawn C. said:

Howard & James,

Since you both have had bad experiences at the Lincoln Park REI, does that negate the support they provide to the local bike community?

Just curious...

Earlier in this thread I posted: "...they actively promote cycling as an alternative to driving, they encourage their employees to commute by bicycle, their  community room is free to use by cycling organizations, they hold classes on bike safety and maintenance (free), they sponsor local cycling events, etc..."  &  http://www.thechainlink.org/events/chainlinkrei-bike-pit-stop

H3N3 said:

I don't know what you mean by "the support they've given the local bike community."

You'd need to be a little more specific about that.  Ideally in another thread. 

Shawn C. said:

Howard & James,

Just curious...

I've had plenty of good experiences with them.  As far as promoting cycling and helping the bike community, they have hosted many Chicago Cycling Club meetings in their community room, often put bike events on their events calendar, and I've found them very helpful when I've gone there as a customer.

H3N3 said:

I personally haven't found anything friendly about the Lincoln Park REI, bike-related or otherwise.

I have not been back since a particularly bad visit last October.

Shawn C. said:

http://www.thechainlink.org/events/chainlinkrei-bike-pit-stop

H3N3 said:

I'd be interested to hear what makes them bike-friendly.

Shawn C. said:

REI in Lincoln Park

I'm not seeing any specifics there.

How do they "actively promote cycling as an alternative to driving?"

What of these other things could not simply be construed as being aimed at attracting business?

I saw your link. I don't understand what that's supposed to prove. I have no idea what REI's role in the pit stop is. Why would I assume from the information available that they did anything more than grant chainlink permission to set up in front of the store? 

I think you'd need to put a little more energy into making your case, if you wanted to do so effectively.

Just don't go in there with an emergency on the roadside that requires the tightening of one single bolt that your tool kit doesn't have (because you are riding a different bike that day.)

They gave me 3 choices -buy an extremely over-priced wrench off their retail shelf, pay $20 for them to tighten it, or "ride to Menards if you are too cheap to buy our wrench."  (not too cheap but I already have 4 of them at home and really don't need one more)

Srsly.  Do not recommend.

I can't be any more specific unless I give you dates/times & that would be a waste of my time. I'm sorry that you don't see how the Lincoln Park REI is a benefit to cyclists, but I wiil continue to take advantage of their offerings to cyclists. My link is one example of how they "support the local bike community." I'm not making a case, but I am sharing facts about the Lincoln Park REI and how they assist cyclists.

H3N3 said:

I'm not seeing any specifics there.

How do they "actively promote cycling as an alternative to driving?"

What of these other things could not simply be construed as being aimed at attracting business?

I saw your link. I don't understand what that's supposed to prove. I have no idea what REI's role in the pit stop is. Why would I assume from the information available that they did anything more than grant chainlink permission to set up in front of the store? 

I think you'd need to put a little more energy into making your case, if you wanted to do so effectively.

Probably not exactly the right thread for this, but another shout-out to Blackburn, who replaced a malfunctioning Airstick mini pump immediately and without batting an eye, merely asking me if I preferred black or white.

I should add some kindly businesses to this thread before I forget.

Dollop on Clarendon and Buena allows bikes inside and offers two solid u-racks outside.

Weeds on Dayton and North Av let me and four bikey friends bring our bikes into the bike patio this evening

Marble on Spaulding and Armitage also let me bring my bike into the patio this evening for a night cap

Must replace those pesky quick releases soon.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service