The Chainlink

So the story starts on any random commute into or out of the loop on Milwaukee.   

A cyclist, or many cyclists, passes another rider that is moving at a casual rate, struggling to climb over a bridge, having difficulty with the wind, etc.   These same cyclists stop at a red light and the peloton starts to queue up forming up a bunch of riders.   Just before the light turns green said straggling rider catches up and sneaks by the group bunched up at the light to either run the red, sneak into the middle of a 6 way or just cut around the group of people waiting there and get to the front.

Maybe it’s a coincidence that the stragglers get to the light very close to when it goes green but it leads me to believe that they are experienced commuters that have a well -practiced understanding of the light’s timing.  What I don’t understand is how someone who has kind of experience thinks it’s a wise idea to pass riders at a red light that are obviously going faster.

Have any of you run into a similar situation?  I’m wondering what a good response would be.

Very often I’ll wait till traffic is clear and then pass, but this messes with my timing of the lights and normally results in the same cyclist catching and pulling a similar stunt at the next light.  If they are catching me every light it seems reasonable that I just go slower and enjoy the ride… but short of having this song and dance happen more than once how am I supposed to know the slow poke is timing lights?

I’ve started getting snarky after passing someone twice and then having them try to sneak around me on the right while stopped at a light asking, “Do you really need me to pass you again?”  I can understand going only as fast as the slowest rider in protected lanes but is that really my only alternative for dealing with this kind of rider?

Ideas? or provide a perspective from the leapfrogger? 

Views: 2509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe Bird flu will come back and you'll get your wish to ride the streets yourself ;)

I find myself passing the same people over and over again, but I don't view my commute as a race.  And I welcome more cyclists and infrastructure.  Let's face it - some people are very new to biking and don't always ride in a straight line or look to their side before veering right/left.  But some of these people also line up at the stoplight 4 or 5 wide forcing the same people to pass them.  Why?  I don't get it.  It's annoying.  And more dangerous if I keep taking the lane to get by you.  I've even been hit by two of these cyclists because they couldn't start out in a straight line and ran into me, the cyclist beside them.  I don't get why someone that uncomfortable on their bike would be commuting during rush hour.  I don't really see a solution to the problem though?  I feel like saying something snarky to them would only make them more uncomfortable on their bike or piss them off.

Hey guys, is this one of those self-righteous noob vs experienced rider threads? I never see any of those around here.

Meh, who really cares?  So you have to pass them is it really that dig a deal?

I get annoyed by all the slower riders who sneak by me when I get caught at a light but I am also equally annoyed by those who strive to pass me only to block the intersection as I approach still rolling and forcing me to shed momentum.

Either way I just get the hell over it and get on with getting where I am going at the pace I enjoy.

+1

Kevin C said:

This thread has once again illuminated the inherently persnickety nature of many who ride bikes.

I don't want bicyclists to increase their mode share.

I don't want protected bike lanes.

I miss Bike Winter.

+1

"I hate to slow down"

Jeff Schneider said:

Americans ride bikes the way we drive cars (and do a lot of other things) - every man for himself, no cooperation, no consideration for others.  I don't see this changing anytime soon.

+1

When I drove in Houston, I used to love summer break - because there would be less traffic with the  schools being off and students on vacation. 

Now that I commute on my bicycle, yeah I miss Bike Winter :)

Kevin C said:

This thread has once again illuminated the inherently persnickety nature of many who ride bikes.

I miss Bike Winter.

If you're going to ride faster than me, then pass. If not, stay behind me.  And don't blow red lights at 5 miles an hour, forcing me to pass you w/accelerating traffic halfway down the next block. FIN. 

I wish I could disagree with this. I mean, on paper I disagree with this and I'll probably continue to advocate for increased ride-share and lanes of any kind etc. But on the other hand, I'm really glad that I no longer commute on Milwaukee. Riding downtown from McKinley Park is similar to what bike commuting from the Northwest Side was like 15 years ago. Only the cars are annoying.

Kevin C said:

I miss Bike Winter.

How about we all stop at the red lights and wait behind whoever was there first.

^Because then I still am going to pass the slower riders, and the slow riders sure don't wait behind me at lights.  Why should I wait .5-2 blocks for traffic to clear, when I'm going 10-15 miles/hour faster than the person "in front" of me?  

That is awfully persnickety of you...

Chris C said:

PS. I don't use the word "persnickety" and I don't like men who do.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service