The Chainlink

I am trying out Tom's Velociled.es for an upcoming ride I'm helping organize.  

It recommends lower wacker west to wabash, south to Madison, west to 500. 

For those of you who commutethis route, will this work?  i won't have time to pre-ride. 

Views: 332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

may be 20 people, may be 5.   Thanks Cameron, good to know.   May do Monroe just to make it easy. 

I know I should not say this, but depending on the time of day you can ride the sidewalk on Monroe to Michigan and then on Michigan to Madison.  Lots of people do it, especially in the morning.

You can get through on the Riverwalk, but the ramp is difficult and then you are stuck with trying to figure out how to get from Wacker to Madison.

ahhh. yes, it is the river walk.  Thank you!

I think this points out an issue with Google Maps bicycling directions. It's too liberal on what is considered a bike path. The Chicago Riverwalk west of Columbus Drive is not a good place to bike because of the lack of a ramp to street level and the narrow path you share with pedestrians. There is a ramp, but it's a switchback and hard to cycle on. There's no ramp between the Lakefront Trail and Michigan, either. 

I don't like how Google Maps will route you through parks, either. It's hard to determine if this is the most efficient route, and paths in parks are likely to have funny bumps (from tree roots) and be filled with pedestrians. Other paths, like in Lincoln Park, are made of dirt and become muddy after rain. 

These are some of the reasons I created the Chicago (Offline) Bike Map - it gives you a digital map that lets you decide where to ride based on the presence of on-street bike lanes (no marked shared lanes) and off-street trails. 

Anyway, I know Tom from weekly Hack Night and he's doing a great job improving Velociped.es and adding new features. 

Both of your apps (Velociled.es and the offline map app) have been added to the Routes section on the homepage.

Tom is great, and I agree it's more of a google issue like you said. 

Steven Vance said:

I think this points out an issue with Google Maps bicycling directions. It's too liberal on what is considered a bike path. The Chicago Riverwalk west of Columbus Drive is not a good place to bike because of the lack of a ramp to street level and the narrow path you share with pedestrians. There is a ramp, but it's a switchback and hard to cycle on. There's no ramp between the Lakefront Trail and Michigan, either. 

I don't like how Google Maps will route you through parks, either. It's hard to determine if this is the most efficient route, and paths in parks are likely to have funny bumps (from tree roots) and be filled with pedestrians. Other paths, like in Lincoln Park, are made of dirt and become muddy after rain. 

These are some of the reasons I created the Chicago (Offline) Bike Map - it gives you a digital map that lets you decide where to ride based on the presence of on-street bike lanes (no marked shared lanes) and off-street trails. 

Anyway, I know Tom from weekly Hack Night and he's doing a great job improving Velociped.es and adding new features. 

that would be lower lower wacker wacker, which is under lower wacker and wacker. Maybe there's another one below it...

Cameron Puetz said:

Wacker is three levels there and only the top two have much traffic. Take Lowest Wacker to Stetson to Water to Garland which takes you up to the surface at Lake.

The Riverwalk surfaces at Wabash; you could take Wabash south to Madison.

Hello all I have a brand new chrome messenger bag large size $ 240 I bought it new asking $70 please call if interested 224.235.1425 south loop local.

There is a ramp at State Street, too, at the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.

I have not used it in a while, but my memory is that it comes up very near where the stairs do--close to the northeast corner of State and Wacker.

It is a steep, zig-zagging ramp, but it is better for me than trying to carry my bike up stairs ;-).

There's a straight ramp on the east side of the Wabash bridge that puts you at the NE corner of Wacker and Wabash. Best way up I've found.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Oh . . . yes, you're right. Instead of zigzagging up the ramp, I took the stairs.

Lisa Curcio said:

I have not used it in a while, but my memory is that it comes up very near where the stairs do--close to the northeast corner of State and Wacker.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service