The Chainlink

Hi All,

I'm confused by Lake Shore Drive being closed. First, is it closed to bike traffic? I saw a cop car there for 24 hours. He said part of the path had broke but I wasn't sure if we could go around. I saw headlights flashing as I passed the area last night.

FYI it's apparently closed between North Avenue and Ohio Street. Any confirmations? Does anyone know any other details?

Best wishes,
David

PS This made me think it would be nice if the DOT Chicago had a way you could receive an automatic notification anytime a street reopens. That would be great, wouldn't it?

Best,
David

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you talking about Lake Shore Drive, the highway? Or the bike path? I looked on Chicago Breaking News and saw nothing about part of Lake Shore Drive being broken.
There was significant wash-over by waves last week after that storm in that section. I'm guessing that it caused some structural damage? You can get in touch w/CDOT bike dept. to find out:
E-mail: cdotbikes@cityofchicago.org
Telephone: 312-742-BIKE (2453)
I'm referring to the bike path. Hmm, I may call that #. Details to follow if I have a chance to call.
P.S. The Lakefront Trail is under the jurisdiction of and maintained by the Chicago Park District. CDOT wouldn't be able to help much except to point you to someone at the CPD.

As for automatic notification, I think I ran across just the ticket.
Thanks! I have signed up! Although I wonder if it notifies when things reopen.

mindfrieze said:
P.S. The Lakefront Trail is under the jurisdiction of and maintained by the Chicago Park District. CDOT wouldn't be able to help much except to point you to someone at the CPD.

As for automatic notification, I think I ran across just the ticket.
As of my morning commute (from Lakeview to Monroe Street) on the trail it is still closed from North Ave to Ohio Street. It's a combo of ice and debris. I saw a front loader on the blocked of section of the trail clearing debris and ice. I assume there is at least some structural damage, there has been a washed out section just south of Fullerton (northbound lane) for awhile.
That's so weird! This morning I took North to Ohio and it was fine! There was a huge truck blocking the way, but we were able to bike around it...

I think the best conclusion for now is that access is unpredictable...

Tyra said:
As of my morning commute (from Lakeview to Monroe Street) on the trail it is still closed from North Ave to Ohio Street. It's a combo of ice and debris. I saw a front loader on the blocked of section of the trail clearing debris and ice. I assume there is at least some structural damage, there has been a washed out section just south of Fullerton (northbound lane) for awhile.
Good analysis David!

David said:
That's so weird! This morning I took North to Ohio and it was fine! There was a huge truck blocking the way, but we were able to bike around it...

I think the best conclusion for now is that access is unpredictable...

lol - normally for a fee of 20/h, free limited time only offer for all chainlink members.

Julie Hochstadter said:
Good analysis David!

David said:
That's so weird! This morning I took North to Ohio and it was fine! There was a huge truck blocking the way, but we were able to bike around it...

I think the best conclusion for now is that access is unpredictable...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service