The Chainlink

I always encourage everyone to hop on a bicycle but what i don't encourage is going to bike shops that have attitude and over charge. I am a supporter of revitalizing the life of used bicycles. If you aren't interested or motivated to build or have one built for you, I completely understand. New bikes might be best for you. However there is no reason for any bike shops to be bike elitist snobs. In my experience, places like Kozy's embrace this image.
I love bikes but i know not everyone else who wants to ride is as enthusiastic as i am, and that is fine. We in the bike community need to be more welcoming and understanding to new comers. Every time i walk into a Kozy's there is an aura of snobbery. If you are new to biking and feel overwhelmed by bike jerks, just ride on.

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Always down for showing up with a group to protest bad service and inflated rates. ! Will bring my own Beer.
Only a couple of mechanics are cool there. (samatha).
I wanted to purchase a cable lock to use with a U-lock for my front wheel.
The sales guy told me I didn't need it because " nobody carries a wrench with them, so they wouldn't steal it".

I told him, "I have a wrench in my bag right now...as do many of my friends for the possibility of a flat?"

Then he kept trying to convince me not to buy one.
I went to Cycle Smithy instead, very helpful and nonpretentious.
I agree with Johnny Sprockets...nice people, sans attitude.

Brett Ratner said:
>>>i think LBS attitudes are mostly an individual employee type thing. some shops just end up with more pretentious staffs than others, and it's unfortunate.>>>

Ridedirty makes a good point...I think it's more the person than the shop.

I've been told that "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

So taking that advice, here is a list of people at local shops who have treated me well and I'd happily recommend to fellow riders:

Sam at Rapid Transit
Steven at Johnny Sprockets on Bryn Mawr
Sean at Johnny Sprockets on Broadway
Deb at Rapid Transit
The entire staff at Uptown Bikes
Everyone who helped me the one time I bought something at Kozy's on Milwauke/Belmont

My friend, meanwhile, loves shopping at Cycle Smithy and says they treat him really well.
How funny! Usually people try to push sales on you, not talk you out of spending money. Some people would rather "correct" you and convince you you don't need something rather than giving you what you want.

What is it about bike shops that fosters that elitist attitude? I have probably only experienced something similar with a couple of those hard core A/V tyrants at Radio Shack.... "JUST GIVE ME THE G***DAMN SPEAKER CABLE, I'LL MAKE SURE IT WORKS, YOU NAZI!"

Ammo said:
Only a couple of mechanics are cool there. (samatha).
I wanted to purchase a cable lock to use with a U-lock for my front wheel.
The sales guy told me I didn't need it because " nobody carries a wrench with them, so they wouldn't steal it".

I told him, "I have a wrench in my bag right now...as do many of my friends for the possibility of a flat?"

Then he kept trying to convince me not to buy one.
I went to Cycle Smithy instead, very helpful and nonpretentious.
Much Kudos to Uptown Bikes where SARA let me BORROW a u-lock to lock my bike while I went into the hardware store across the street.
I hate to just agree with everything thats been said, but good points have been made on this subject by many.

Everyone has bad days and that can totally affect your experience at any bike shop. Also at the end of the bike shop employees are doing their job. They are salesmen and if they didn't try to over sell you then they would not be doing their job. You must know that going in. Same is true for car salesmen/mechanics.

I'm sorry if this hurts anyone's feelings but if you get worked over at a shop it's your own fault. If you didn't do your homework before walking in then you are asking to get ripped off. If you know nothing about bikes then bring a friend who does when going to the shop, it will go a long way.
Are you cheating on me!
Mart

Julie Hochstadter said:
I like Kozy on Erie a lot too. Brian the manager and his dog are very helpful and cute! Brian spent 30 minutes with me going over where to get a size 33 clipless shoe (which obviously Kozy doesn't sell).

Tiberculosis said:
Yeah, this could happen at any bike shop, big or small, it's really person dependent. I went by Kozy's on Erie a couple of weeks ago looking at a BMX bike for my son. The guy could have sold me one of the several dozen he had on the floor, but he steered me to another shop (not Kozy's) with suggestions of what I should really get. I asked him about sizing my bike up for some fenders and he told me I could make my own pretty easily out of a 5 gallon bucket instead of selling me some that were hanging right in front of us.
I'm not saying you can't have an awesome bike shop experience. But to expect it every time or the one time you stopped into a particular shop is a bit ridiculous.
I dind't wanna step on any toes, but it was cycle smithy.

h3 said:
RodimusPrime said:
ha thats a good idea, i've totally analyzed that through my living in chicago in general not just bike shops.

I'm asian, and I have noticed certain unnamed shops in certain unnamed parts of town have me pegged as some trust fund baby and hike up labor rates to twice what it normally is.

Strange, I have never heard of a part of Chicago that didn't have a name.
Where is it? We need to name that sucker like, yesterday!
http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us/

The mechanics at kozy's on erie , or more specifically the younger ones about my age have always been super helpful.
I just got home from dropping in to Kozy's on Erie for the first time. I've been looking for some stuff and a) they're on my way home and b) they had what I needed in stock. I called in advance and they were happy to hold things for me; they also suggested I walk my bike in, in spite of the fact that it was a slushy drippy mess of a bike.

I met a couple of people there, Oliver and Brian, and both were totally professional, encouraging of winter riding, and helpful. In fact, Brian (Bryan?) and I had a good easy-going conversation about important not-bike-related stuff (breweries!). No attitude at all, and I've got new places to look forward to riding to!

I seem to have positive experiences all over, maybe I'm lucky. I mean, we're all human and have lousy days too....
terry- did you get to meet Bryan's adorable dog?She's usually working the floor, watching over the kiddies. When I am remotely near there I have to go in and pet the little lady.

terryg said:
I just got home from dropping in to Kozy's on Erie for the first time. I've been looking for some stuff and a) they're on my way home and b) they had what I needed in stock. I called in advance and they were happy to hold things for me; they also suggested I walk my bike in, in spite of the fact that it was a slushy drippy mess of a bike.
I met a couple of people there, Oliver and Brian, and both were totally professional, encouraging of winter riding, and helpful. In fact, Brian (Bryan?) and I had a good easy-going conversation about important not-bike-related stuff (breweries!). No attitude at all, and I've got new places to look forward to riding to! I seem to have positive experiences all over, maybe I'm lucky. I mean, we're all human and have lousy days too....
I wish! If there was an adorable dog there, I missed it. I think it's cool when shops have extra characters cruising around. Like the cat at Myopic Books (whose name escapes me at the moment). I'll be back to Kozy's and I'll be sure to look around.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service