The Chainlink

Planning thread for July 30th 2010 Chicago Critical Mass.

In the recent "Critical Mass Strategy" discussion, Barbra mentioned hints of her desire to do a map for July's CCM, with an underwear theme.  She's certainly capable, having participated in WNBR-C and CCM for several years, and the theme is certainly appropriate for hot weather.

So with just a few weeks to go, I'm proactively seeding this thread for discussion and planning.

Views: 367

Replies to This Discussion

If on the map you mention underwear party at the beach no one will take LSD.
I must weigh in just once more, that I settled on Randolph as best exit based on numerous masses which used it. It gets us out of downtown smoothly on a high capacity boulevard, minimizing interaction with cars, straight shot to Union Park, as opposed to crawling south on Clark. It also gives an underpass (ie. underwear related), and a skater safe bridge (if I remember right). In June I was among the very last to leave the plaza, and didn't think haste or visibility were problems. Furthermore, I think riders need to get started simple and settle in before they can follow details, so in my world all those fiddly bits with Madison/Wacker/Lake/Desp are a setup for confusion. But I'm sure it'll work as is as well.

At Montrose, worst case, let's just responsibly cork the on-ramps.
Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:

I have taken Barbara's map and modified it using Howards southern Clark adjustment.

Thanks! Good luck!
Andrew, I would be enjoy watching either exit from Daley. I do like the simplicity of the original turn.
Let's go with the original plan out of the Daley Plaza Square, then. My FIRST mass I ever attended in April '09 used this exit west and I remember it to be thrilling. Also maybe it will set a different tone from last months...the tone being that this is a different ride...peaceful*easy*thrilling, and maybe to some, a new beginning... I am very into setting tones. Plus we'll circle the plaza enough to get people off their bums and onto the street. :-)
Andrew, I am not very familiar with Montrose up there, and to be honest don't now what ramps you speak of...should we reroute 4 blocks north? Darn that big cemetary in the way!!

Andrew Bedno said:
I must weigh in just once more, that I settled on Randolph as best exit based on numerous masses which used it. It gets us out of downtown smoothly on a high capacity boulevard, minimizing interaction with cars, straight shot to Union Park, as opposed to crawling south on Clark. It also gives an underpass (ie. underwear related), and a skater safe bridge (if I remember right). In June I was among the very last to leave the plaza, and didn't think haste or visibility were problems. Furthermore, I think riders need to get started simple and settle in before they can follow details, so in my world all those fiddly bits with Madison/Wacker/Lake/Desp are a setup for confusion. But I'm sure it'll work as is as well.

At Montrose, worst case, let's just responsibly cork the on-ramps.
Barbra Mann said:
Andrew, I am not very familiar with Montrose up there, and to be honest don't now what ramps you speak of...should we reroute 4 blocks north? Darn that big cemetary in the way!!

Montrose has an LSD entrance (after an UNDERpass), whose on-ramps I'm suggesting we cork.
That park is one of my favorite areas on the planet, with a beach, harbor, pier, bird sanctuary and bathrooms, and has been Marauders ride endpoint a few times. Closes at 11pm.
I'm going there after sunset for boozing+chilling tonight with Karen if you wanna visit.
http://tinyurl.com/crickethill-il
Map updated: http://bit.ly/9NF65Y.

Oh and by the way you can get a street view by clicking the camera on any turn in the left ahnd sidebar giving you a rough idea of the look of the ride.
My only suggestion is to skirt Humboldt Park instead of riding the inner ring. For one thing it is a very narrow road and usually filled with cars that have no escape form the mass and I see it as a spot where ugly confrontations will be very likely. Also the people we will be disrupting there are the ones trying to enjoy an afternoon in the park outside of their car.
Ouch third warning about inner Humboldt Park road. I love Humboldt Park but y'all may have a point. I used to ride it daily to my old job...missing it. I think I will change it to going straight through on Humboldt Park Blvd. Still want to incorporate Kedzie though so we don't come too close to Norweigan's emergency vehicle zone.

notoriousDUG said:
My only suggestion is to skirt Humboldt Park instead of riding the inner ring. For one thing it is a very narrow road and usually filled with cars that have no escape form the mass and I see it as a spot where ugly confrontations will be very likely. Also the people we will be disrupting there are the ones trying to enjoy an afternoon in the park outside of their car.
Does anyone want to join Spencer and I for a test ride some evening next week? I need the exercise! Anyone else? I am thinking to not make the flyer til after the test ride just in case we change it due to unexpected construction or something.
I can join you on either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. Let me know! Would we meet at Daley plaza?

Barbra Mann said:
Does anyone want to join Spencer and I for a test ride some evening next week? I need the exercise! Anyone else? I am thinking to not make the flyer til after the test ride just in case we change it due to unexpected construction or something.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service