The Chainlink

I rode in to work today, and now I'm thinking I might have to bus it half the way home.  I live about 7 miles from my office which really isn't bad, but man it is hot out there.  I was just wondering if I'm the only one considering wussing out.

Views: 3902

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been using this weather as an excuse to ride my recently acquired 1968 Schwinn cruiser.  I *can't* got fast, so instead I toodle along, no exerting myself, and the already mentioned natural A/C is a treat.

Also, every time you ride in the heat you earn an ice cream cone. This is key :-D

To take the sweatband idea up a notch, try wetting and freezing a bandana and then tying it around your head or neck. Almost feels like brain freeze when you first put it on, but great once you've been riding for a few minutes.  I've also been pouring a little bit of ice water on my head when I stop at lights.  The breeze while riding against the cold water is great.

Heat cramp symptoms include:

• Severe, sometimes disabling, cramps that typically begin suddenly in the hands, calves, or feet.
  • Hard, tense muscles.

Heat exhaustion symptoms include:

• Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Headaches
  • Excessive thirst
  • Muscle aches and cramps
  • Weakness
  • Confusion or anxiety
  • Drenching sweats, often accompanied by cold, clammy skin.
  • Slowed or weakened heartbeat.
  • Dizziness
  • Fainting
  • Agitation

Heat exhaustion requires immediate attention but is not usually life-threatening.

Heat stroke symptoms include:

• Nausea and vomiting.
  • Headache.
  • Dizziness or vertigo.
  • Fatigue.
  • Hot, flushed, dry skin.
  • Rapid heart rate.
  • Decreased sweating.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Decreased urination.
  • Blood in urine or stool.
  • Increased body temperature (104 to 106 degrees).
  • Confusion, delirium, or loss of consciousness.
  • Convulsions.

If you're waking up with headaches taking today off is a good idea since riding today would aggrevate the dehydration and condition. 

I had heat stroke on RAGBRIA last year, but I was so mentally confused by it that I didn't realize how sick I was even though I was presenting many of the heat stroke symptoms.  I continued riding for the 5 days with symtoms and it aggravated my condition. It took a long time for me to fully recover. Now I find myself extremely sensitive to heat, once you have one bad incident it makes it much more likely you will have another. 

Keep an eye on your active friends, if you notice these symptoms talk to them about what's going on. If they do have heat stroke/exhaustion they may not be mentally aware of how severe their symptoms are.

Taking a few days off the bike to avoid heat stress will mean many more days you will be able to ride.

It seems to me that cars have been more agressive with the heat. This has been my real problem this week.
I've noticed that too, but haven't been able to decide if it's just my own increased feeling of vulnerability and decreased ability to pay attention because I'm too hot. It does seem like everyone's a tad more impatient and not paying as much attention to where they're going.

Davo said:
It seems to me that cars have been more agressive with the heat. This has been my real problem this week.
I ride 14 miles each way to/from Evanston every day, and you know, I honestly thought about not doing it today. In the end, I thought - I'll be just as sweaty taking the train and walking...at least on the bike you get a breeze! And I feel 100X better after an hour bike in than an hour train ride in.

I'm riding around from 12:30-4:30. I'm a dog walker. I'm riding about 12 miles a day in this swamp. I don't think it's untenable, but I wouldn't mind it if somebody ripped this pressure-cookin' heat dome off of us...like...right now!

Two key things--sunscreen and water. I also stick my head in the freezer for a few seconds when I get to each clients' house. My last client of the day are my close friends. They're (obviously) never home when I go to walk their dogs. When I got there yesterday, I whipped off my dress and stood there in my underwear poised over the air conditioning vent in their bathroom. I know, TMI, right? I couldn't help it. I was fried. Today=more of the same, I suppose. Ahhh...summer.

you are not kidding about the drivers out there! How about the ones texting while they're driving!
No. just drinking a lot of water while riding.
it'd be funny if they came home early

Holly said:

I'm riding around from 12:30-4:30. I'm a dog walker. I'm riding about 12 miles a day in this swamp. I don't think it's untenable, but I wouldn't mind it if somebody ripped this pressure-cookin' heat dome off of us...like...right now!

Two key things--sunscreen and water. I also stick my head in the freezer for a few seconds when I get to each clients' house. My last client of the day are my close friends. They're (obviously) never home when I go to walk their dogs. When I got there yesterday, I whipped off my dress and stood there in my underwear poised over the air conditioning vent in their bathroom. I know, TMI, right? I couldn't help it. I was fried. Today=more of the same, I suppose. Ahhh...summer.

nanny cam
pics or it didn't happen! ;)

Holly said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service