The Chainlink

I rode in to work today, and now I'm thinking I might have to bus it half the way home.  I live about 7 miles from my office which really isn't bad, but man it is hot out there.  I was just wondering if I'm the only one considering wussing out.

Views: 3672

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I LOVE the hot weather.  I prefer hot to cold any day.  I just feel alive in this weather and I don't feel like I'm eating to hibernate which I do in the winter.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Yes.

But then again, I just look for any excuse to sleep in a little longer. Here is to hoping that the hot weather continues!

I'm just too old and my commute is too far to risk it.  I tried it earlier in the week in the morning when it wasn't all that hot, and I was essentially bright red by the time I got to the office and felt less than perfect all day.   This is the time to take advantage of the comparatively light loads on the in-bound blue line at evening rush and the 80. 

Rachel Miller said:

I'm impervious to peer pressure!  Just curious.  I know that every time I feel gripey about riding home I just wind up doing it anyway.  Maybe I'll take the bus!  Who knows?

Duppie said:

Don't let yourself be persuaded by the "I'll ride in any weather crowd". While they might feel comfortable in this heat, it doesn't mean that you will.

 

Heat stroke is a real danger in weather like this. No need to suffer a heat stroke only because you feel taking the bus home makes you look like a wussy.

Between new tattoo, not sleeping well (partially because of the tattoo), and the heat I've taken this week off.  I think I'm going to do a 5 am 10 mile ride tomorrow morning to make up for some of it, but I kind of feel guilty

Congrats on the new ink and share a pic!

And don't feel guilty about not riding.  If you don't feel good riding can be unpleasant. 



Dann B (5.25 mi/8.75 mi) said:

Between new tattoo, not sleeping well (partially because of the tattoo), and the heat I've taken this week off.  I think I'm going to do a 5 am 10 mile ride tomorrow morning to make up for some of it, but I kind of feel guilty

My (non-biking) coworker suggested I buy a cooling bandana from amazon, but my favorite trick for the ride home is to freeze my water bottle a few hours before I leave work.  The water may not stay cold for the whole ride but it's nice to have for part of the trip, and makes me more likely to drink it.  Another possibility would be to get an insulated water bottle.

What heat?

Geezus.  This is the best weather to ride in. Fuck winter/snow/cold.

Anyone else hate this weather? I hate sweating and my favorite riding temp is about 40F:  perfect for jeans and a hoodie and cheap gloves. But I know I need to get over it and get back on my bike- been off for at least a week now am pretty fed up with the intense slowness of the Damen bus in the morning. I feel like a "bike summer" campaign (I guess that's what this thread is) is the only thing that can get me back in the saddle!

Yep, I hate this weather.  But I did it last year and I survived, so just need to do it again.  The best part about this weather is that it will change. :-)

It was not so bad out today, We did the NBT so most of that is in the shade, but the trade off is gnats and road grime stick to you like a semi truck grill. 60 miles round trip, just stay hydrated and if you get too hot , rest.

I will, after the healing.  She did a bunch of hashing and blocking of the black, and greywash over the whole thing, so it's peeling like a sunburn right now.  It's part of my sleeve, so I go back in 3 weeks to do the other side of the forearm (and cover a hideous tat that I have there) and then another 3 weeks (probably) to get the color put in.

Julie Hochstadter said:

Congrats on the new ink and share a pic!

And don't feel guilty about not riding.  If you don't feel good riding can be unpleasant. 



Dann B (5.25 mi/8.75 mi) said:

Between new tattoo, not sleeping well (partially because of the tattoo), and the heat I've taken this week off.  I think I'm going to do a 5 am 10 mile ride tomorrow morning to make up for some of it, but I kind of feel guilty

Between 28 and maybe 36 deg F is my sweet spot....

Anne B. said:

Anyone else hate this weather? I hate sweating and my favorite riding temp is about 40F:  perfect for jeans and a hoodie and cheap gloves. But I know I need to get over it and get back on my bike- been off for at least a week now am pretty fed up with the intense slowness of the Damen bus in the morning. I feel like a "bike summer" campaign (I guess that's what this thread is) is the only thing that can get me back in the saddle!

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service