The Chainlink

Okay, this may get deleted. And that's okay. But my life has hit a point where, if I don't try crazy, questionable things, I may never see the change I need.

This is me:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/com/5540991005.html

Relevant points:

I never learned to ride a bicycle. A Calvin-&-Hobbes-esque accident when I was a child made me scared to continue trying.

I've been working on bikes for years, although I've never had official training. Sears "taught" me back when Sears was still doing well (late 90s) by hiring me as the general assembly and repair guy (PMT), pointing at a rack full of returned bikes, handing me a BikeTools USA big book, and saying "do whatever you think you need to do to learn to build, tune and repair bikes. Make as many of those salable as possible and we'll write off the rest. Tell us if you need a tool."

I haven't worked on bikes in recent years. Back when I had a car, someone broke into it and stole all my tools while I was visiting my dad in East Chicago, IN. Given the area, there was no chance in hell of finding them or getting them back.

I spent my youth traveling. I was broke and homeless and spent about half the 90s just drifting around the USA, mostly the midwest, visiting people and trying to start a new life. So traveling isn't unfamiliar to me, although it's been a while.

I am disabled and extremely poor. I take care of myself, though... I have insurance and generally hold myself liable for any activity. Given my homeless past, I have some experience putting myself back together should an accident occur, and find it distasteful and tacky to look for blame in others for things I attempt.

What am I looking for?
I think learning to ride would change my life. I live in Avondale and doing so would vastly expand my casual chore and recreational range.

I have income that will follow me wherever I go. Honestly, I have little to keep me in one spot (the age of technology keeps me in touch with loved ones wherever I go), and so have been fiddling with the idea of low-budget traveling and blogging/vlogging about it. This has been on my mind over the last year or so, and doing it from a bicycle would be new and exciting for me, even if it's been done before.

I spent this past winter in a terrible place, emotionally. Ultimately, my decision is driven by the idea of doing something ridiculous, unexpected and great rather than join vast ranks of statistics and leave others sad.

So... I'm looking to learn to ride. Casually, at first, recreationally, perhaps competitively just a little (not to win, just to do), and, ultimately, to travel. To this end, I need not just a class, but a community... and that's why I'm here. I have very little to my name and am still somewhat skittish about bikes, which is why I haven't just grabbed one and tried to take off; as I write this I have... a helmet. Woo! But hey, it's more than I had.

This is ludicrous. I know. But my life has always about doing something completely off-the-wall and unexpected when things got bad, because, honestly, being challenged is better than being dead. I've always found that adversity builds strength, and I'd like to do something amazing out of desperation, even if it's only amazing to me. So, here I am, offering a plea to a community for a hobby, sport, and lifestyle that, until now, has always scared me.

If you can help, if this post doesn't get poofed, feel free to reply here, or to my CL ad, or... I'm not sure if my email is public here. If it is, feel free to use it. I'm open to discussion, questions, suggestions, I just need to get going and could always use advice or guidance from people who know.

Take care, and be excellent to each other!

JMR

Views: 1029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heh, I'm excited for you Juan. It looks like you're in good hands now. For me, bike commuting to and from work was a game changer. It's improved my life in every respect.

You're an articulate, gutsy guy, not afraid to admit when you need help. There's no shame in that. The most successful people know their limitations and surround themselves with people who can help them achieve their goals. In the corporate world, that's called leadership. 

Live long and prosper!

This has gotten much, MUCH better reception than I'd hoped for, and resulted in fantastically useful direction and advice. Thank you very much, everyone... I'll be around as I work on this and see how things develop. I'm actually pretty excited!

This is an astounding video. My younger son, who is a food scientist, got me onto this Bullet Proof Coffee kick. I've started drinking it in an attempt to get my weight down, but it's claimed to have other significant benefits as well. 

Depression and back pain have a common cause.  Wheat / Grains / Carbohydrates.

Grain Brain and Wheat Belly Total Heath are books written by MD with links to the research.

I am trying to follow the Wheat Belly diet to cure my high blood sugars, diabetic neurapathy.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/12/wheat-belly-quick-dirty-2/ is the starter page.

Wow, Dr. Davis is pretty radical. I'd always thought that whole grains were considered ok. Cutting out all grains completely is not easy. Sounds interesting though. Please keep up apprised from time to time.

Thanks for sharing this type of topic.I am also getting many information and tips from here.

I just wanted to follow up on this:

My back is still acting up. Just a bit, right in the middle of my lower back. Sometimes, it's almost normal, other times it spasms. I've dealt with this before (in this case, it was being startled during squats, although in the past it'd be from shaving at a mirror hung too low or bending over to pet a cat), and it's just a matter of time and care. Tony, this is why I haven't contacted you yet... as soon as I'm good, I'll call!

In other news, I started a video blog (landriverfiresky.com) as part of my self-improvement project. I ramble, I get ranty, my lack of socialization in my youth shows through, but I'm pretty focused on self-improvement against all odds and social justice. It's up to you if you want to check it out. My new Facebook is linked on there.

Lastly, I joined a local hackerspace called Pumping Station: One (pumpingstationone.org) an entirely member-driven nonprofit organization for artists, mechanics, tech whizzes, musicians, tinkers, tailors, cooks... pretty much anyone with a creative streak, a tendency to tinker, and a personal sense of ownership and responsibility... to get together, work on whatever ludicrous ideas spring to mind, teach each other things and help each other out. They have a TON of tools (from knitting machines to 3D printers to welders, a forge, computer stations, 20-ton press, just an obnoxious collection of equipment), a TON of ideas, and generally welcome the public to come see what they're up to.

I don't have much of an idea yet, but tonight is an open-to-the-public bicycle clinic for working on and repairing bikes, followed by a for-fun, no-expectations "Pumping Station Band" hangout. I'm going to be there for both. Last night, I spent an hour watching two guys work on a vehicle for the Power Racing Series (http://www.powerracingseries.org) and test it. It was fantastic! Grown men with a Power Wheel and a desire to make it go FAST with little regard for their own safety but complete ownership of their personal responsibility if anything had happened!

So... progress is made, but one of the key components to my being happier really IS knowing there are resources for someone like me to do something like "learn to ride a bicycle" even if you have no idea what you're doing or where to look, as long as you just work up the courage to ask!

Spasms and cramps might be caused by electrolyte imbalance.  75% of Americans have low Magnesium levels.  Blood tests aren't good indicators since Magnesium is used by hundreds of reactions in the body.  Many Americans also have low salt and sodium levels that can impact this.  Best is to get blood drawn for analysis of these levels.  Also eating pickles and or pickle juice, especially while experiencing spasms or cramps, can help with these levels.  Several types of magnesium supplements, reactions vary among individuals.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service