The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gene, was the rainbow there or is that an effect of the lens?  Very beautiful photos.  I did not ride today, and, like Ryan, most likely won't until Thursday.

Oh the sun dog! Nice work Gene! I saw that from the el station. Yes, I regret to report that I took the CTA today. The streets didn't look too bad though. The section of Archer west of Leavitt actually looked plowed all the way to the curb! I forgot to peep the lanes further east on Archer or the 18th St Bridge. The Wabash lanes around 18th appeared to be nicely plowed on the southbound side, but not so much on the northbound side. 

Perhaps tomorrow I'll ride. Seems like one should know the extremes one's kit.

Gene Tenner said:

I saw the rainbow from the train this morning.

Easy one today. Starting to get good at locking up without taking off my gloves.

I don't quite understand what the hype is about the temperature today.  It dropped to around zero in December and barely anyone was talking about it.

I shoots 'em like I sees 'em, Lisa. The rainbow was really, REALLY there. 

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Gene, was the rainbow there or is that an effect of the lens?  Very beautiful photos.  I did not ride today, and, like Ryan, most likely won't until Thursday.

I did ride this morning.  My freewheel froze again but not as bad as the -35 day.  I wore my leather and down ski mittens that I got at the thrift shop and they work way way way better than these stupid water proof gloves I paid like 35 dollars for.  I have liners so when I go to lock my bike up outside, I take off the gloves and still have enough warmth to lock it up.  I didn't see no rainbow but I go the other direction, and Im in the street.  I had a fun time, at one intersection I had a bus almost turn in to me, a cabby kick open his door, and a cop pull out in front of me with lights on all at the same intersection.  ha ha didn't get me.

Robert Underwood said:

I had a fun time, at one intersection I had a bus almost turn in to me, a cabby kick open his door, and a cop pull out in front of me with lights on all at the same intersection.  ha ha didn't get me.

I'm glad you made it to work okay. Sounds like you were playing a little real life Frogger there.

I think one of the biggest issues to overcome is that drivers simply don't expect to see cyclists in extreme weather. It behooves us to be extra careful and predictable when we do venture out on days like today.

Well, the Chicago Tribune has nothing on our star photographer who posted it here first.

Gene Tenner said:

I shoots 'em like I sees 'em, Lisa. The rainbow was really, REALLY there. 

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

What happens when your freewheel freezes? Does it stop coasting?

Robert Underwood said:

I did ride this morning.  My freewheel froze again but not as bad as the -35 day.  

For those of you who rode today I salute your toughness.  Cold indeed.

I think I hit my limit this evening. The last mile of my five-mile commute was spent moving my goggles and balaclava around in order to balance my face freezing against my goggles freezing. I also found that slush in the bike lanes that I could previously just cut right through is now much more treacherous due to its increased viscosity. I'll be taking the CTA tomorrow. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service