The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone else happy they were on bikes last night during the presidential visit induced gridlock downtown? It was a little dicey for me to get to the LFP from my office, but it was all smooth sailing from there. The car commuters did not look pleased as they sat motionless on Lake Shore Drive.

Some road workers were wearing giant yellow onesies.  they seemed dry enough.  When I was little used to put bread bags over my shoes.  I should've done that this morning.  DANG IT!

Oh yes!  Took me a little longer than normal to get across to Milwaukee, but it was sooo much easier than sitting in a car.  As to today--nope.

Ryan Stahlman said:

Anyone else happy they were on bikes last night during the presidential visit induced gridlock downtown? It was a little dicey for me to get to the LFP from my office, but it was all smooth sailing from there. The car commuters did not look pleased as they sat motionless on Lake Shore Drive.

Thats a good idea. I was in Vancouver last week and spent some time watching messengers ride around downtown. A few of them had plastic bags on their shoes/ankles to keep the neverending rain out. All of them had the sweetest bike infrastructure I have seen so far. :/

Robert Underwood said:

When I was little used to put bread bags over my shoes.  I should've done that this morning.  DANG IT!

Something about putting in alot of riding time makes me eat like a sumo.

yeah I got soaked - clothes will never be dry by 4:30. need a dryer at work - ha ha ha

T.K. 8.4 mi said:

Im with EssFresh and grayn8, how could you argue with that free bike wash and street sweep?! 

Protip: bring an extra pair of socks to work. 

Is there any amount of gortex that would keep you dry on a day like this? 

I have my gear strewn throughout my office, hanging it and flipping it over periodically throughout the day. I hate putting on wet gear. But I don't think anything's going to be perfectly dry by the time I leave.

dan brown said:

yeah I got soaked - clothes will never be dry by 4:30. need a dryer at work - ha ha ha

T.K. 8.4 mi said:

Im with EssFresh and grayn8, how could you argue with that free bike wash and street sweep?! 

Protip: bring an extra pair of socks to work. 

Is there any amount of gortex that would keep you dry on a day like this? 

When I started a 24mi/day roundtrip commute in 2011 I couldn't believe how hungry I was all the time. My friend described one's stomach in such circumstances as "a furnace." It's true.

Matt M. 18.5KM said:

I ride and run.. all I do is eat and sleep. :D

Matt M. 18.5KM said:

Got to work before the downpour.. I did pack the rain gear for "incaseshit". Real cozy ride for the most part.. dare I say, it went down a treat.

I think it's kinda weird. I either am losing weight or gaining and probably in unhealthy amounts now that I ride. I don't count it towards my running (I do marathons and 50k). I seem to always be hungry and fluctuate weight like crazy. Winter is always harder. Something about low levels of sunlight make me crave doughnuts and whiskey.

And this am's fog was john carpenter double plus happy.

Matt M. 18.5KM said:

left right after the rain stopped. nice ride.  forgot my work socks.  now I get to wear thick wool socks stuffed into tight fitting dress shoes.  sweaty feet all day long yall.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service