The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got out the door early today, the traffic is so much better if I leave before 7:45 than if I leave after that. Managed not to get too warm today either, figured out the layering for 40 degrees, now I just have to figure out some other temps. 

I'm tempted to make a chart sometimes, as getting it wrong can be pretty annoying. I wonder if there is a simpler way. Perhaps

Dress as if you were just going to sit outside in the park and it was 20 degrees warmer. 

2. Yes - during the morning rush leaving even a few minutes earlier seems to make a huge difference. My current gig is pretty much 9-5 with little flexibility about it - I can come in early, which I do, and that helps, but I still need to stay until 5, which is the worst possible time to be on a bike downtown.

Liz said:

I got out the door early today, the traffic is so much better if I leave before 7:45 than if I leave after that. Managed not to get too warm today either, figured out the layering for 40 degrees, now I just have to figure out some other temps. 

Tony, a chart is a good idea. Because I kill off more brain cells than I create, I keep an excel sheet. By every 5 degrees I detail what I put on my head, abdomen, legs, hands and feet. I cannot remember in April what I wore last November. Just build it up as you go along. It sits right next to my outdoor thermometer.

Tony Adams said:

I'm tempted to make a chart sometimes, as getting it wrong can be pretty annoying. I wonder if there is a simpler way. Perhaps

Dress as if you were just going to sit outside in the park and it was 20 degrees warmer. 

2. Yes - during the morning rush leaving even a few minutes earlier seems to make a huge difference. My current gig is pretty much 9-5 with little flexibility about it - I can come in early, which I do, and that helps, but I still need to stay until 5, which is the worst possible time to be on a bike downtown.

Liz said:

Yep, each weekday so far.

Some highlights;

Monday-Discovered a flat tire just as I was leaving, (old patch leaking), fixed it and then experienced the rare tail wind on the way home. Woo-hoo!

Tuesday- Hot tip for all you West Logan/Avondale folks; Pulaski north of Milwaukee is stellar. Despite the lack of official bike lane and the xpway entrance/exit, the pavement's in mostly great shape and it's wide as hell.

Today- Actually met a few respectful motorists out there. Keeps my hopes up.

And I got by wearing a fleece vest and jean jacket. Can this really be February?!

Hey, Gene- great pics! Thanks for sharing.

I was underdressed. That required high speed manuevering through shitty traffic and all those "I'm just gonna cross the street wherever I want" people who buy their booze at any given liquor store on Milwaukee north of Diversey.  Did I mention school buses? I'm convinced that anyone who drives a school bus must be baked based on the terrible driving. 

Fortunately, when I got going, I got really warm fairly quickly. Then I had to walk some dogs. Then, I was cold again.  The theme of my bike winter experience when I'm not dressed properly is:  feel cold, ride to get warm, walk dogs. Lather, rinse, repeat. This is something I can usually power through because I have to, but being tired made it excruciating today. Did I mention I'm kind of crabby? 

Gene, it looks like a ginger haired monster, yikes!  The angles and curves in the harbor bridge shot are terrific.  Likewise with Grant.

Glad you guys are successfully navigating around the door prizes!  

The meeting at Sulzer looked very well attended.  I was able to bounce in for few minutes at the tail end of the P.M. commute.   Met John Greenfield, Serge Lubomudrov and Gin Kilgore.  It's great to read your work, see your photo's and then meet these nice people in person.

Schools are the worst part of my morning commute, if I leave early I hit elementry school arrivals, if I leave late I hit HS arrivals.  

The bus drivers are weird, and the buses give off awful fumes. 

Have you tried carrying a wind shell layer with you to throw on while dog walking?  I usually keep a shell and an extra warm hat on hand for when I get off of my bike. 

Holly said:

I was underdressed. That required high speed manuevering through shitty traffic and all those "I'm just gonna cross the street wherever I want" people who buy their booze at any given liquor store on Milwaukee north of Diversey.  Did I mention school buses? I'm convinced that anyone who drives a school bus must be baked based on the terrible driving. 

Fortunately, when I got going, I got really warm fairly quickly. Then I had to walk some dogs. Then, I was cold again.  The theme of my bike winter experience when I'm not dressed properly is:  feel cold, ride to get warm, walk dogs. Lather, rinse, repeat. This is something I can usually power through because I have to, but being tired made it excruciating today. Did I mention I'm kind of crabby? 

I was wearing jeans, wool socks (regrettably quite thin), a wool sweater, a cashmere sweater and a windproof jacket and a light cap from Erin. Gloves were too light weight. My problem was the head/feet/hands thing which was exacerbated by it being damp-ish after dark. That's the trouble. The sun goes down and I'm screwed if I'm not dressed right. 

Liz said:

Schools are the worst part of my morning commute, if I leave early I hit elementry school arrivals, if I leave late I hit HS arrivals.  

The bus drivers are weird, and the buses give off awful fumes. 

Have you tried carrying a wind shell layer with you to throw on while dog walking?  I usually keep a shell and an extra warm hat on hand for when I get off of my bike. 

Holly said:

I rode a loop on the LFP.

BEST

WINTER

EVER

Yo, to and fro.

From Kaufman's Bagels to Cermak Produce in one day.  Does that Kinko's still say Kinko's on it?

I was researching it tonight and supposedly the name has been changed to "FedEx Ship and Print Center."

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fedex-office-print-and-ship-center-chicago-22

Steve Istvan Horvath said:

Yes it was a very nice evening to ride due to the abnormal weather and nice warm temps!  After I took the South Shore Line to Hammond this morning, I came home I took another long "L" ride to Dempster and Crawford in Skokie. After I came home, I rode my bicycle from Ashland and Roosevelt to Kinko's at Canal and Roosevelt. From there I rode to Cermak and Paulina where I did my monthy shopping for groceries.

During the short time I spent in Evanston today, I noticed that there are posted Signs that instruct Bicyclists TO NOT RIDE ON THE SIDEWALKS! I had never seen or noticed these Traffic Sings before (a month ago or so), and I now wonder if the City of Chicago cannot afford to put up similar Traffic Signs in our City as well?  Steve H.   

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service