The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the tip...at least i know I'm not going crazy[er].

I actually keep a spray bottle of alcohol  because a mechanic at Rapid transit fixed my "rapid fire" shifter with some.

(when it was stuck and another place told me it was broken)

Yeah, my cheeks were really feeling the cold on the way home tonight, and I had a balaclava.  But the area around my nose and mouth, yow.  That's BikeWinter. 

Mike Zumwalt said:

I didn't cover today and boy it was a mistake, eyes watering, cheeks frozen. A very cold ride indeed.

122782_ said:

I'm not a male, but I'm still doing fine with just a gaiter that I pull up just below my mouth.  Hoping to make it through the winter without actually having to cover my nose/mouth.

Minh said:

I cringe when I see dudes without anything covering their face on mornings like this. I don't know how they do it. Manly men they are.

Yeah, we are pretty good like that.

S.Presley said:

Thanks for the tip...at least i know I'm not going crazy[er].

I actually keep a spray bottle of alcohol  because a mechanic at Rapid transit fixed my "rapid fire" shifter with some.

(when it was stuck and another place told me it was broken)

notoriousDUG said:

Grease and oil get thick and sticky when they get cold.  The extreme temperatures can lead to the pawls that engage and drive the free hub body or freewheel getting stuck.  Bouncing it around can help sometimes.  Indexed shifters can have issues like this as well.  Squirting them full of alcohol or a thin lube can help.

S.Presley said:

FROZEN Cassette ?????

Cold weather freehub lubrication

In this case, my helmet was a bonus dork accessory.  I might have gotten a concussion from that Taurus! 

Kevin C said:

Helmets are dangerous.

Holly said:

Went about 15 blocks today. Stopped home for the car. Locked my bike. Grabbed my bag off the rack. Walked to the car and dusted it off.

Realized that I was still wearing my helmet.

When I hit my head on the door frame of the car door.

Hi, dork.

Did anyone ride today?

Me? No.

I did! though I'm a little nervous about the ride home with the ground temp being as cold as it is and the snow flying.

I did not, but Cam did 

Me. Yes.

in it to win it said:

Did anyone ride today?

Me? No.

Me? No.

Another working from home day. On days like this I appreciate the flexibility my employer offers me.

I am also using my ailment as an excuse to not ride for the next 6 weeks. While I enjoy riding most of the winter, I'd be lying if I said that I miss it today.

in it to win it said:

Did anyone ride today?

Me? No.

The snow was half the attraction for me riding in today.  Riding in freshly fallen snow is just plain fun.

Barclor said:

I did! though I'm a little nervous about the ride home with the ground temp being as cold as it is and the snow flying.

I really wanted to ride since today was the Winter Bike to Work Day.  The cold was not an issue.  Winds were pretty calm when I went to spin class early this morning. A little fresh snow is fun. However, the predicted weather makes the return commute seem like hubris on a bike.  It looks to be an adventure regardless of the mode of transportation.  I hope I am wrong but really think I made the right choice notwithstanding delays on the Metra.

Joe Studer said:

The snow was half the attraction for me riding in today.  Riding in freshly fallen snow is just plain fun.

Barclor said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service