Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138957

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got the cargo bike stuck in mud this morning crossing by the baseball fields in Humboldt Park. I had to hop off and push. I supposed I can't wait for those warm weather bike washes before cleaning the big rig.

A.M. commute was speedy, P.M. was like riding in a cloud downtown.  My inner five year old likes when we can see our breathe at stoplights.  It was fun coming home.

*>MUNDANE RESPONSE COMING THROUGH, PLEASE CHANGE LANES, GRAZIE! >*  ;)

Tony, it's Opaque Blue, 24".   Yes it was hand fillet brass brazed, in the cage at 1856 North Kostner Ave.  Along with the Paramounts, Sports Tourers and Superiors.   Wonderful article here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html

Some will call it gas pipe.  The awesome thing is it's bomb proof.  Yes it has a child like one piece Ashtabula crank.  The beauty is, it can be disassemble greased and reassemble in about 8 minutes or less.  Crank alone weighs in at a mighty 4.84 pounds, yeah.  They originally came with drive trains that were screaming to be upgraded.  So it's currently a 6 speed.  Suntour barcon, Suntour Cyclone short gage DR and Suntour 6 cog freewheel.  14-15-17-19-21-23, gear inches with a 39t chainring, 46-50-55-62-70-75.  Perfect for pancake flat Chicagoland, with a few bridges and the wind.  

In March of 2011 I hit the door prize, but that's another story.  It did however necessitate a replacement  fork, bars and brakehoods.  But Tony the frame, she survived!  Schwinn chose to design their frames to literally last a life time.  So while the rest of the world uses a 7/8" (22.2mm) stem, Schwinn and the BMX folks use a .833" (21.15mm).  Chrome donor fork from a '76 Continental, identical GB Rando bars from a '71 SS and modern brakes hoods.  Oh she looks so nice with the original Brooks B15. 

I've learned Schwinn did things the Schwinn way.  For instance they measured, center of crank to the top of the seat collar.  This bike is cataloged as a 24" but it's a 58cm with a 33" standover.   

Funny but Le Tour replaced the Super Sport.  Originally they were made by Panasonic, '73-'79.  Then Kostner Ave, 80'-'81, then Panasonic '82-83.  Then Schwinn again, in the Greenville Mississippi plant '83-'91.

Now Tony you've really opened a can of worms, 22.8% of driving vintage is hunting for more vintage!  This number may vary.  Are you looking for a 25" brass fillet brazed Opaque Orange Schwinn?  Think it through.  Cause if you say yes I'll be hunting right along with ya.  My hearts burning desire is for an 84' 85' 86' Schwinn Peloton 22", also Panasonic made.   Lemeknow!   

Same cloud here this afternoon, of course no mention of it on the weather radio.  I rode anyway, getting wetter as I went along.  25 miles on the single speed and some hills I barely made it over,  a good ride for January.

Ash L. said:

I got the cargo bike stuck in mud this morning crossing by the baseball fields in Humboldt Park. I had to hop off and push. I supposed I can't wait for those warm weather bike washes before cleaning the big rig.

I've washed a bike after each of the last 4 rides.  I kind of wish it would get colder.

Went out for a joyride this evening on LFP. Fog was pretty thick in a few spots. I must of looked like a UFO to those on LSD. Me with all my blinky lights and the limited visibility. 

'Twas a good commute in. I'm hoping for a peek of sunshine on the way home.

I did, but only after waking up to a flat front tire. Is there anything more discouraging than a flat? This is my fourth in the space of two weeks. This one was repaired by a bike shop. And I had repaired the back last night. I have been replacing them with new, but may want to explore patching them. Thankfully I just rode my hybrid today.

Yes, indeed, it was a great morning to ride. I am on my last bicycle due to front tire flats (I am very lazy about repairing when I have another bike available). I plan on patching the tubes this weekend. I find patching them seems to work just as well as just getting a new tube, as long as the leak isn't on or near the valve stem. So, I have 2 bikes with flats (my winter commuter, my summer commuter) and I am using my tour bike at the moment to commute, which is great and comfortable, with the only caveat that I am paranoid as it is the most expensive of the three I have available. 

Have you guys with the flats tried Continental Ultra Gatorskin or Specialized Armadillo tires?

Weird. I've only gotten two flats in the last two years - one was my fault (pinch flat) and the other just happened - jagged plastic stuck in ice. Although, I'm all ears for suggestions on convincing my wife that I need new tires ;)

I've got Armadillos on one, Bontrager hardcase (kevlar) on the other one...go figure. At least it is only the front tires, not the rear ones, much easier to fix.  The bike I am currently using has Continentals and I am crossing my fingers. I just need this one to last until I fix the tubes on the other two bikes. :) 

Minh said:

Have you guys with the flats tried Continental Ultra Gatorskin or Specialized Armadillo tires?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service