The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do tell. What's the new route?

Jim S said:

Yep!

It's a little chilly out there; dress appropriately!

At least it's clear outside. I also tried a new route with much success, too. Good times.

Well, for people who commute downtown, it's not of much use. I commute from Andersonville to Niles and had been using Lincoln Avenue (which, north of about Peterson is a 4 lane divided highway).

A very helpful user on here -Madopal - had sent me his route since we work in the same area. It appears you can use Bryn Mawr west and catch the Sauganash trail up to some side streets..etc.

The short of it is that I avoided Lincoln - which is awesome because it's still slick with ice and I don't like being close to cars doing 45 mph. Any time I can reduce interaction with cars and improve my safety, I'm all in. And, the route was a mere two minutes slower.

Anhow, sorry to take up space for you downtown commuters ;)

in it to win it said:

Do tell. What's the new route?

Jim S said:

Yep!

It's a little chilly out there; dress appropriately!

At least it's clear outside. I also tried a new route with much success, too. Good times.

Montrose to Fullerton on the lakefront bike path was wonderful. You can see ice patches well ahead.

Along the zoo on the west side of LSD was fine, too.

Streets were clear from North to Erie on State.

Bundle up.

It is cold outside. Didn't have too much problems with slipperiness except on the side streets- main streets seemed dry and salted, of course there were a few patches of ice/snow/slush still in the bike lanes along Wells, but overall not bad. The sun out today was a really nice change. I wore my goggles due to the cold. Had to just watch for patches of ice here and there. 

Definitely cold, but still a good ride down Milwaukee and in the Kinzie lane.  Plenty of salt (almost too much) in the protected lane, but I'd rather ride through that than ice!  

I didn't know what the temps were this morning before I started riding. Was only wearing a t-shirt and light jacket. I had to go back home to put on more layers and I was still cold after mile 10...

My commute was mostly bone dry and coated with a layer of salt-- even the one-way side street portion.

Yep, streets are dry, it's now the time where you have the taste of salt in your mouth when there is traffic around kicking it up. 

Now is the time to wash and re-lube the bike in preparation for the next round of wet yuck.  Do yourselves, and your bikes, a favor and do the same, even if it's just wiping it down and putting some lube on the chain.  Also a good idea to lube all the pivot points on your brakes.

i dont mind this cold when its without wind.  this mornings ride was pleasant.

i recently purchased a neck gaiter from buff at REI to replace my beloved but missing fleece one ive had a few winters. this one is nice because is super long to ensure coverage of both the neck and face. (i cant find the version i have on the interwebs). its supposed to be microbial and moisture wicking.  when its cold like this, heavy condensation builds up on the fabric over my mouth and creates a wet towel effect - makes me cold and suffocates me a bit.  and then, when it dries, it stinks.  so much for either of those qualities.

I got the smartwool (merino) neck gaiter. As advertised, it doesn't smell.

iggi said:

i recently purchased a neck gaiter from buff at REI to replace my beloved but missing fleece one ive had a few winters. this one is nice because is super long to ensure coverage of both the neck and face. (i cant find the version i have on the interwebs). its supposed to be microbial and moisture wicking.  when its cold like this, heavy condensation builds up on the fabric over my mouth and creates a wet towel effect - makes me cold and suffocates me a bit.  and then, when it dries, it stinks.  so much for either of those qualities.

ill be trading mine in.  i was holding both and couldnt decide which when making the purchase.  thanks!

Kevin C said:

I got the smartwool (merino) neck gaiter. As advertised, it doesn't smell.

iggi said:

I second the merino wool buff. I have a wool and a regular and have the same problem with the regular one when it's really cold.  The wool one feels thinner (even when folded so there's a double layer) and less cloying when wet.  And it doesn't smell.  I like merino and silk shirts for layering for the same reason.  Dryfit shirts get too stinky when I sweat

iggi said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service