The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rode my dog route today @ noonish until 5ish. Got home, walked the dogs here, fed them, left for Critical Lass. I believe we had 8 in our group ride tonight which seems like a good turn out on a night like tonight. 

I spent most of the day riding and it was moderately scary at times but also quite delightful. I love how quiet things seem to get in the snow.  The worst part for me was the west wind on the way home tonight. That was brutal. Fishtailing is fun, but at a certain point my hands were gripping the bars so tightly I thought my hands were going to get stuck clenching the handlebars. 

I had nudey eyes tonight and it mostly sucked. Left my safety glasses at my last client's house. No way I was going 2 1/2 miles to get them. 

Fun to read about everyone's adventures here. Hope everyone is safe tonight!  

Loved the ride home today!

Ride 1: River North to Lincoln Park.  Up Orleans to Division to Clybourne to Racine.  Slushy and fun!

Ride 2: Lincoln Park to Wicker Park.  Down Racine to Cortland to side streets.  Beautiful flurries and sparkly white layer of snow, providing just enough traction.  I really missed this.

Bonus:  got to use my new ski goggles, snow pants, and nice boots.  Huge upgrade from last year.  Today it was finally worth it.

Winter has come to Chicago.

The ride into work today was fine, no snow of course. It was starting to come down when I got into the city and rode through downtown from the Metra station.

I stayed in the city late today for a nerd meeting. So my plan was to catch the 11:15pm train down to home. Riding back through the loop was easy. The roads were covered with snow, but it was slush and not slick.

Mokena, in the suburbs, was a different story. The roads were covered and very slick. Mostly from the few cars passing over them. I took my regular route down back roads past the cemetery, pristine snow there and easy to ride through.

Coming down 195th street a cop pulled up beside me and asked if I was ok. I think after I told him I was coming from the train his fears that I was a drunk were swayed, and he told me goodnight. He was a really nice guy.

He's to seeing what the plows do tonight.

I made a video on my way home after the "Snow Ride"(1/12/2012)...I thought this song was fitting. (rated 'R' for language)

Find more videos like this on VloggerHeads

Mr. Presley, you are rapidly becoming one of my favorite Chicago filmmakers!  Nicely done...again!

Nope.

CTA got my $$ today…

Getting ready to ride right now- looks nasty on my side street as they have yet to plow or salt the more recent accumulation, but as long as Lincoln to Wells is clear, I should not have any problems. 

S. Presley you've done it again.  Going two for two, "Snow Ride" and "Stranded bike, broken key, idiot advice on Chainlink", Bravo!  Very creative sir.

Oh yeah-- you should repost the Rampage and Secret Route videos now that they'd had their screening events.

Nope. Drove into work.

I was pretty sad at first, as my usual route through Chicago was pretty well plowed and salted. Then as I crossed into Lincolnwood and Skokie, I was pretty happy because the main roads still looked terrible. I find kind of odd that Chicago has much better snow removal than the suburbs.

Made it to work at about the same time I always do. Far north Lincoln Avenue was a bit slushy, but still well cleared and salted. I have to take a stretch of Western Avenue south from Lincoln to Leland and that was kind of nasty due to most of the slush accumulation and from the cars that didn't understand that I didn't want to ride the bike through a foot high pile of slush and had to take the lane a few times. Lincoln southbound to Wells from Leland was really well cleared, although the bike lane on Wells was pretty sloppy but still rideable. Overall, it turned out to be a beautiful day and a very nice ride this morning. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service