The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes. Come on SNOW!

This is my first year of attempting to ride rain, snow, cold, or any other weather condition. I've been asking a lot of questions and with good advice and good layering, the traffic in the loop is the only thing that interferes with my rides. Nervous about riding during my first real snow though.

Snow is not too much of a worry. Slow down a bit, ride a straight line and do smooth, gentle turns ... pretend you are carrying a carton of eggs on your handlebars. The more worrisome element is ice and ice hidden below snow.

We are lucky in Chicagoland to have well plowed and salted streets. Even the lakefront bike path is plowed - not always as often as we would like - and makes it ridable most of the winter.

Just be alert for ice. You will figure that out. You will develop a new sense for it. It just takes practice. So, go out and ride. I know you can do it.

42 miles today. Anyone recognize this place?

No.  Do tell, though...

Correct! 41.878514,-87.868304

Also found a pretty decent coffeehouse not too far from the path in Elmhurst: http://www.elijahscoffee.com/

S.Presley said:

IPP

I celebrate the tiny things, no glove on the A.M. commute.  Thursday A.M. commute will be normal, P.M. commute S/B snormal.  

Gene lovely pic South of Fullerton.  Tony I couldn't place your shot, even though I've been out there plenty.  Tell us about your well equipped bike though. 

Tiny things are the best things to celebrate!

The shot was taken facing east in Bellwood (might be Maywood) a bit west of South 25th Ave.

You don't want to get me started on the bike.  An 88 LeTour frame, a bunch of parts from another late 80's LeTour (cranks, seatpost, stem, fork, front brake), bars and grips from Working Bikes bins, the front wheel via the mighty Chainlink Marketplace (thanks Kelvin!). The only new parts in the original build was the rear wheel, which I built with a new Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub (w/ coaster brake). My first wheel build!

Before the tires (I originally had some used tires from the house parts bins) all the parts only added up to $250.

Subsequently I took advantage of Blue City's Free Installation special in uh, november or whenever that was and had them install the rear rack and Soma Fab fenders. I hate installing fenders so the special was too good to pass up. The fenders are the only things that have broken so far. I don't recommend them - although they are certainly pretty!

Currently she is sporting Panasonic RIBMO 700x32s. So far so good, no flats yet, but I only have a few hundred miles on them, so it is early yet. They handle well on everything except they got a bit lost in some wet/muddy crushed limestone along the York Road section of the Salt Creek Greenway today. Navigating the more firmly packed stuff on the IPP was fine though.  

The idea was to make a relatively lightweight, low maintenance steel town bike for year-round daily riding. I was pleasantly surprised by how fast it is. I'm in the midst of tarting it up a bit now - I got a cheap red saddle on eBay and Blue City is getting some red translucent BMX peddles for me.

I love the bike, but I'm already thinking about my next build - a two speed based on an 80's steel MTB/hybrid frame if I can find one large enough - something with longer chainstays and cantilever brakes. (This is my Craigslist search, other suggestions are welcome: sierra | cimarron | crosscut | iguana | frontier.)

Steel Driver said:

I celebrate the tiny things, no glove on the A.M. commute.  Thursday A.M. commute will be normal, P.M. commute S/B snormal.  

Gene lovely pic South of Fullerton.  Tony I couldn't place your shot, even though I've been out there plenty.  Tell us about your well equipped bike though. 

Tony thanks for running down the particulars!  I'm a vintage affectionado myself.  Driving a '72 Schwinn Super Sport daily.  Nice you do your own wrenching too.  I understand tailoring the drive train to meet your needs.  For weeks I've been putting off dropping one of the front chainrings.  Having a six speed with the gear inches matched to my needs will be ideal.  I do believe you've inspired me.  Less is more as long as it's a good fit for it's intended purpose.  Thanks!

Did ride. Cooler. Nice morning.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service