The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had the best intentions of riding today: Got as far as the corner of my block when the bike slid out from under me.  I put it back in the basement and headed for the bus stop.  Glad to hear some riders had a better experience.

Melanie, I agree the southern part of Lincoln and all of Wells into the Loop seemed fine this morning, just wet, no ice, I think. I didn't look at the temperature display at North and Wells but it felt warm, maybe in the upper 30s at 7:00ish am, so I don't think there could have been ice? Maybe I'm wrong. I'm new at winter bike riding.

Just realized it's 45 outside. So yes, I'll be going for a ride. (I'm on vacation, so I haven't been out yet.)

This black ice is no joke. Since it's my first bike winter, I didn't know what to expect. I was happily cruising along, and next thing I know, the bike completely collapsed from under me. I think I was more stunned/shocked than hurt. Oh well.

i lost my bike today.  i felt the wheels on the ground but not really connected.  just as i started to put my leg out on the turn, out comes the bike.  i managed to stay on my feet somehow.  had two more smaller incidednts on the commute today, but i kept checking, dragging my feet tring to verify the more icy spots.

By mid morning the weather was so fine (and since I'm on vacation) I broke out the road bike, suited up (in spandex of course) and spent a delightful 2hrs crusing up and dowwn the LFP. I could get used to winter like this.

My afternoon on my bike was pretty awesome.  I am happy that I don't get on my bike until after it warms up a bit. Luckily, I missed all the icy mayhem this morning, but I knew it was going to be bad. Sarah Jindra told me all about it on WBEZ this morning. There were a lot of traffic concerns due to slippery roads. I'm sorry that so many of you on two wheels had to deal with the ice, too. Hope nobody's slippin' and slidin' ended in anything painful.

I'm personally delighted that I'm not wearing winter boots yet...but the wind...oooo...it's been pretty intense. Go Bike Winder!

Took a two hour ride out into the corn fields today. It was a great ride. I neglected to relise I would have a head wind on the way back and should have held up some more of my strength.

First ride to work on studded tires (picked 'em up at the winter swap last two years ago for silly-cheap-- $30 for the pair?)-- gotta say I agree with the folks who say you don't want to ride on these except in extreme conditions-- heavy, slow, noisy.

squish, shuish, squish.

yes...

lightish rain up until like two minutes til I got to work. Got drenched, two soakers

Huh?

iggi said:

squish, shuish, squish.

yes...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service