Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138962

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amy Y said:

Addendum: Is the area around Fullerton-North-Oak just a few chunks of pavement ripped off and I could just walk my bike over those, or is the entire path pretty torn and I'm better off seeking an alternate path?

There are only two streches of bad pavement (south of Fullerton, and between North and Oak) and they are both passable just by taking the bumps very slowly. Its really not worthwhile to exit the LFP just to avoid them. At Fullerton you can even take the dirt path to avoid it.

I went somewhere at 9 a.m. and froze. Suddenly, I've lost all interest in riding my bike around town today after having come in from a dog walk that felt absurdly cold to me. What's going on? Why am I feeling less psyched about riding now that we've seen the worst of it? Plus--it's so sunny out there! I should be thrilled about that.

Yesterday was fine, even though I got a flat. Today just feels so windy! Blargh! It's still winter. I'm so over it!

I parked on my porch today which tends to keep my bike riding habit in check. I think I'm putting it in the basement and driving. Don't hate me! I'm just not in the mood. (And, I know--I'd feel way better if I did ride, but I just want to listen to the radio and have a heater blowing on me. I'll regret this later, I'm sure.) 

Please don't feel bad Holly, it is only 25-30 degrees out today which is still very cold. I admit sometimes I have my boyfriend drive me to the train or to work when it is too much for me to ride- too cold, too snowy, too icy, etc.  Taking a break isn't that bad and no one will hate you for it as it is your own personal decision. I just make sure that I get back to riding when I feel the urge again- which for me, is pretty quickly as I get cranky without my daily ride. But there is no shame in taking a break from riding, and sometimes it makes you appreciate riding the bicycle even more due to traffic and other drivers- I get very impatient in the car now...lol

Holly said:

I went somewhere at 9 a.m. and froze. Suddenly, I've lost all interest in riding my bike around town today after having come in from a dog walk that felt absurdly cold to me. What's going on? Why am I feeling less psyched about riding now that we've seen the worst of it? Plus--it's so sunny out there! I should be thrilled about that.

Yesterday was fine, even though I got a flat. Today just feels so windy! Blargh! It's still winter. I'm so over it!

I parked on my porch today which tends to keep my bike riding habit in check. I think I'm putting it in the basement and driving. Don't hate me! I'm just not in the mood. (And, I know--I'd feel way better if I did ride, but I just want to listen to the radio and have a heater blowing on me. I'll regret this later, I'm sure.) 

I honestly feel the same way today!! You are not alone.  Its cold, winter has been long and the wind sucks. 

This is the temperature range we are most likely to get hypothermia.  If you ride to your appointment, start sweating, and then walk around wet from the sweat you can began to chill yourself.  The addition of wind means our bodies are uninsulated and losing heat.  If you begin shivering, that is the first sign.  If your movements become slow and labored, and you find yourself confused you are expiencing moderate hypothermia. Wearing wool or synthetic materials can help remove moisture from the skin and provide good insulation. If you find yourself having symptoms, go somewhere warm, remove wet clothing, apply blankets and drink a warm beverage.   If symptoms persist seek medical help. 

Taking an imediate bath can actually overwhelm the cardiovascular system.  Try cuddling with someone else instead.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothermia/DS00333/DSECTION=symptoms

Holly said:

Thanks Liz! Very helpful. Will definitely try that. On the way back I plan to just walk the bike path as I wouldn't be pressed for time and see how much damage there is along the whole path.

Liz said:

When I was commuting between lakeview and downtown I would go down state street after lincoln park until deleware, then take Wabash the ramaining part into downtown (my office is on wabash) in the winter.  See the linked map for details. 

http://tinyurl.com/4lc44v8

I found Wabash to be a much better alternative to Deaborn, Clark or State street through the gold coast/streeterville area. You can easily get back on the lake front path at Monroe street, simply turn left down it.

This route is also a little better for protection against wind off the lake, if there's still a lot of wind, go down stockton instead of cannon since the park will act as a buffer.

Going North it would probably be easiest for you to exit the path at Grand, and take Rush st. North until it merges with state and then go through the park.

No problem I would often take this route in the winter even when ice or road segments wheren't a problem since it does actually reduce the wind coming off the lake. 

It also makes a good alternate summer route home when the path gets clogged up in nice weather.

Amy Y said:

Thanks Liz! Very helpful. Will definitely try that. On the way back I plan to just walk the bike path as I wouldn't be pressed for time and see how much damage there is along the whole path.

Helpful and snarky all at once; I bow to the master.

I now leave my van parked at a the other end of a Metra commute and I have found that HAVING to ride the bike or CTA makes it that much easier to ride the bike because I HATE the CTA.  Also after about a week of it the whole thing has become habit and I feel out of sorts when I have to drive my van home.
H3N3 said:

I feel the same way also, but I found a solution that saves thousands a year and immeasurable stress.

It involves selling something . . .

Liz--thanks for that link and info. I'm usually one to get home and jump into a hot bath when I am freezing cold. *oops!*

Howard--just fabulous---yay for you!

Amy Y-- I know. I'm bicycling more than I ever have (particularly in the winter when I used to never bike anywhere.)  I feel okay about skipping it now and then, but I sometimes wonder what's the difference between being a big wuss and being someone who listens to her body? There are times when I can tell, and today, I knew I was not just being wussy. 

I will say, I had a hangovery feeling this morning which is the result of... having a slight hangover. That didn't help matters. And, remember--I am SO outside most of the day. Being outside is great. Most of the time I love it, but usually by this stage of winter, I wish I worked in a cubicle. Or Hawaii.

If it's any consolation--driving while listening to the radio was hardly worth it. It's pledge drive week! How did I forget that?

Happy riding, people. Spring is coming! The days feel quite a bit longer now, don't they?

Taking a bath is ok if you are no longer in a hypothermic range (ie you came home, took off the wet clothes and warmed up in blankets for a bit and got your body temp up above 95 deg.) also make sure its a warm bath instead of a hot bath.

Liz--indeed! I read that warm water is best...somewhere...oh, here, I suppose. 

Hi Holly

You are definitely not the only person who has the off days! Today the ride back was pretty rough because I was going against the wind, but I didn't feel that I was suffering (well, I was because my fingers was getting frostbitten...but I'll try to bring extra thick mittens next time).

It all has to do with mindset. This is my first time back to bike commute this season. Earlier I just didn't want to do it. But the last few months of dealing with the CTA  - bus stopping at EVERY.SINGLE.BLOCK. - or hitting the brakes on the entire LSD from downtown to Belmont definitely helped to get me back in the saddle and happy about it even with the wind and the cold. 

Maybe you'll just going through the Chicago winter blues. Summer looks so close - yet so far. Do what feels right. When time comes, you'll be whistling on your bike to work :-)

Holly said:

Liz--thanks for that link and info. I'm usually one to get home and jump into a hot bath when I am freezing cold. *oops!*

Howard--just fabulous---yay for you!

Amy Y-- I know. I'm bicycling more than I ever have (particularly in the winter when I used to never bike anywhere.)  I feel okay about skipping it now and then, but I sometimes wonder what's the difference between being a big wuss and being someone who listens to her body? There are times when I can tell, and today, I knew I was not just being wussy. 

I will say, I had a hangovery feeling this morning which is the result of... having a slight hangover. That didn't help matters. And, remember--I am SO outside most of the day. Being outside is great. Most of the time I love it, but usually by this stage of winter, I wish I worked in a cubicle. Or Hawaii.

If it's any consolation--driving while listening to the radio was hardly worth it. It's pledge drive week! How did I forget that?

Happy riding, people. Spring is coming! The days feel quite a bit longer now, don't they?

Two things: 

1) I ride every day and the LFP has been great riding for most of the winter, including right now. I'm amazed at how well it's maintained. The torn up bits between Oak and North Ave are no big deal; the biggest drop is about 1.5 inches so it's just like going over rough pavement or cracks in a sidewalk -- you hardly need to slow down. The torn up bits just north of Fullerton are much more severe, but there is only one "hole" that you can't avoid. Plan to slow way down and drop about 4-5 inches, then hop up 4-5 inches on the other side. Otherwise, the path is far preferable to the streets, IMO. 

2) The winter doldrums are here. I, too, am so tired of the wind and the cold that it's been much harder than usual recently to get out there and enjoy the ride. Somehow, though, I feel better about it knowing that I'm not the only one. ;-)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service