The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not too bad. Windchill is above zero right now.You may want to walk to a main street, but from there it should be good

Holly said:

Was planning to walk to my 9:00 appointment. Now that I've read that the windchill isn't as insane as they're saying, I'll just ride over there. It's only a hop, skip and a jump. The rest of the day...I don't know.

How cold does it feel?
Not bad at all.  Grand, Milwaukee, Lake, and Franklin were all no problem.  Only a few spots where snow had been shoveled back out in to the road.  The cold wasn't an issue at all.  Definitely a goggles day though.

some spots are worse than others.  worst is the cross sections of intersections that the plows effectively blocked up.

make sure not to overdress today.  that sweat will become your worst enemy in this cold.

Again, if I wasn't running late it would have been a thoroughly enjoyable ride . . .

I didn't find anything I couldn't track in easily. Once I got to the main street it was exposed/wet pavement.

One stupid driver encounter but no exchange of gunfire.

It was cold (I felt it on my back as soon as I got outside and wondered if I had remembered my outer jacket) but once I was riding it was oddly comfortable.

Hearings about the bus/brown/red line horror stories in the office, I'm glad I rode in today.
Slushier than I expected on Wells, but not too bad overall.  Thank you to the guy I saw riding down Fullerton while I was walking the dog; I was on the fence bike vs train and seeing someone else on a bike made my decision a lot easier.
I rode and it wasn't too bad.  Wilson was surprisingly clear and Clark was good except for several side street intersections where the snow had been plowed or dragged out.  What really surprised me was the condition of the streets in the loop.  Its like it just snowed.  I cut over to State St to cross the river on the concreted bridge and it was bad.
I did fine on the main streets but carried my bike two blocks because the side streets were impossible.  Do I call that portage?
I had to ride on the sidwalk for a block to get to lincoln. It was kind of cool with the 3' drifts on either side of me. I didn't fall but if I did it I wouldn't have gone down far with the snow bank supports.
Yeah it's surprising how messed up a lot of major streets like Jackson Blvd are in the west loop. I was expecting it to be worse farther west like in Austin and such but it wasn't so bad out there.

JeffB said:
I rode and it wasn't too bad.  Wilson was surprisingly clear and Clark was good except for several side street intersections where the snow had been plowed or dragged out.  What really surprised me was the condition of the streets in the loop.  Its like it just snowed.  I cut over to State St to cross the river on the concreted bridge and it was bad.
Locking the bike up was not easy today, had to make some unorthodox choices.
I walked 10 minutes to the blue line, waited (unsuccessfully) for a train with space for more passengers for 30 minutes, saw that there were no taxis/busses, and walked back home for my bike.  Silly to think that taking the El was a better choice today.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service