Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For a 1 minute video on the Lakefront Trail approaching Diversey Bridge, click here.

My morning ride was a challenge and it was loads of fun.

When the temperatures hit 90°+ this summer I will fondly remember this winter. Best ever.

Really? If it had just been a very cold winter I would understand, but the snow has been a killer for me.

Beans ~ 14 mi. said:

When the temperatures hit 90°+ this summer I will fondly remember this winter. Best ever.

Ready for sunny weather!

Eerie!

h' 1.0 said:

I went to go get on the mountain bike this morning and with a loud crack from my rear hub apparently stripped out my free wheel, for now it is a free wheel in both directions.  This happened last year at the end of the winter season, hopefully this means and end to the snow and the cold.

Nasty head wind going north but not really that bad temp. wise or street. Problem was the shaded parts where the nearly spring Sun wasn't able to melt the snow.

Ravenswood is really bad though.

Some ice patches but for the most part clear. Slow rolled it today. Hoping today's weather removes the rest of the ice because tomorrow is.... NEW BIKE DAY! \m/

Rode today, nothing but the usual annoyances the day after a snowstorm blows through.

Is it just me, or does it seem like it takes about a day longer for the streets/infrastructure to return to "normal" for bikes than it does for cars? Like, you could probably drive throughout the city as of later yesterday afternoon without any significant troubles. But by this morning, I'm still making material compromises on my route - taking the lane and avoiding the bike lanes, dismounting and carrying my bike through unplowed parts of the LFP, etc. 

Yea lots of ice, but the break from the wind today was so nice and easy after the last two days shennanigans.

I think it depends on the street but overall ya the bike lanes don't get cleared as fast.  it also depends on the city... i.e. Evanston doesn't like to plow as much.  I think its because they're all hippies and they don't want to add pollution by plowing more than the absolute minimum.  

Ride was nice, not too much wind and only the one expected yahoo jerk encounter.  A whole line of cars pass me with plenty of space.  one yahoo passes within inches and then stops at the light all in the bike lane. so I had to squeeze past him and the curb with one foot on the curb and leaning away from him.  Or her, I didn't check. jerk either way.

Simon Phearson said:

Rode today, nothing but the usual annoyances the day after a snowstorm blows through.

Is it just me, or does it seem like it takes about a day longer for the streets/infrastructure to return to "normal" for bikes than it does for cars? Like, you could probably drive throughout the city as of later yesterday afternoon without any significant troubles. But by this morning, I'm still making material compromises on my route - taking the lane and avoiding the bike lanes, dismounting and carrying my bike through unplowed parts of the LFP, etc. 

I don't know...I commute up to Evanston for work. I have distinctly felt a significant difference this winter with Evanston streets being better to ride on. Cleared of snow and ice faster, and way less potholes.
That being said, they sure haven't figured out yet how to deal with winter and the new bike lane on Davis. Between poor plowing and motorists parking their cars in the lane...I am being positive though and will say they'll figure it out by this next winter.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service