The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please share with us more specifics on how you keep your feet, hands and face warm.

I'm sure there are other threads about winter gear, but I'll outline my setup here.

* Face/head - Pearl Izumi shell with face covering (eyes/nose exposed), a wool AllOneWord cycling cap atop that, sunglasses, helmet with nothing else on it (other than lots of air vents!). Still have some exposed skin, but so far, no problems.

* Torso - cheapo tech base layer found at TJ Maxx (one of those fabrics that gets stinky when you sweat), Sugoi merino wool LS jersey on top of that, Mountain Hard Wear jacket (only below mid-20s?), Pearl Izumi shell on the outside.

* Hands - rag wool gloves with Manzella shells on top of that, all inserted into Bar Mitts

* Legs - Smartwool shorts, thin Smartwool long johns (only when very cold, tucked into sox), Novarra lined windproof pants

* Feet - Merino wool socks, Merrell Continuum shoes (Vibram sole, Gore-Tex upper material), and in this cold weather, an old pair of neoprene Performance Toesties, mostly to keep the wet road gunk at bay and insulate a bit more.

I don't know what I look like. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but has resigned herself to her fate as the wife of a crazy man.

I'll play. 

* Face/head - Ski helmet, goggles, and a loosly knit scarf to cover face. No need for a hat. 

* Torso - Swrve Milwaukee jacket on the outside. Smartwool base layer paired with wool jersey below 20. From 20-30 I'll use the jersey with arm warmers. Above 30 just jersey. If it's below zero or there's lots of snow and ice I'll wear my gortex Klim jacket (CE padded).

* Hands - Head brand oversized mittens, paired with wool glove liners below 15 degrees.

* Legs - Cycling shorts, Pearl Izumi Amfib tights, and REI softshell pants. 

* Feet - Merino wool socks, Columbia hiking shoes, with Rivendell Spats in wet weather. Sorel boots below 15. 

Back on topic.  The hardest thing for me in cold weather is to keep my toes warm.  This year I finally went out and bought some snow/hiking boots from target (cheap) that are two sizes too big.  I can fit two thick wool socks in them with plenty of wiggle room.  That works great until about negative ten degrees, and on the couple extremely cold days we've had this year I used chem packs.  They helped, but I made sure to let them sit out until they were really hot. like 20 minutes.  My ride is about 40 minutes.  at the end of that on those couple extreme cold days my toes were getting cold.  Ive tried electric sox and they are horrible. did nothing.  I hope to buy some nicer warmer boots soon so that I don't have to even worry about chem packs or more socks.  wolvhammers by 45nth look good... for 250.00 bucks anyway.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Please share with us more specifics on how you keep your feet, hands and face warm.

I'm sure there are other threads about winter gear, but I'll outline my setup here.

* Face/head - Pearl Izumi shell with face covering (eyes/nose exposed), a wool AllOneWord cycling cap atop that, sunglasses, helmet with nothing else on it (other than lots of air vents!). Still have some exposed skin, but so far, no problems.

* Torso - cheapo tech base layer found at TJ Maxx (one of those fabrics that gets stinky when you sweat), Sugoi merino wool LS jersey on top of that, Mountain Hard Wear jacket (only below mid-20s?), Pearl Izumi shell on the outside.

* Hands - rag wool gloves with Manzella shells on top of that, all inserted into Bar Mitts

* Legs - Smartwool shorts, thin Smartwool long johns (only when very cold, tucked into sox), Novarra lined windproof pants

* Feet - Merino wool socks, Merrell Continuum shoes (Vibram sole, Gore-Tex upper material), and in this cold weather, an old pair of neoprene Performance Toesties, mostly to keep the wet road gunk at bay and insulate a bit more.

I don't know what I look like. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but has resigned herself to her fate as the wife of a crazy man.

Head: Lightweight, knit cap, light balaclava, heavy balaclava (all wicking ) and ski goggles

Torso: Weatherproof-brand base layer, medium weight Weatherproof-brand, Columbia Omni-heat and a North Face Gore-Tex jacket … all wicking

Legs: Medium weight wicking leggings and ski pants

Feet: Smart-wool socks, electric insoles, Gore-Tex socks, Felt liner (from Sorel duck boots) and XL slippers

Hands: Cabela’s electric hunting gloves inside of Gore-Tex shell mittens

Anybody else use Pearl Izumi lobster gloves?  They work ok, but I don't like the fabric in each "claw" that separates the two fingers.  Seems counter-productive since I want the fingers sharing warmth and a more open air pocket to heat up.  

Any one ever taken scissors to this?  I'm hesitant to do that since the fabric is all one piece in there and I might lose insulation.

How well do those electric insoles and electric gloves work?  I had a bad experience with some "hot sox" or whatever they were called, 20 bucks, and I could not feel any warmth from them whatsoever.  I youtubed electric socks reviews and every one was the same as what I experienced, they did nothing.  but Ive never tried the electric insoles or gloves.

Gene Tenner said:

Head: Lightweight, knit cap, light balaclava, heavy balaclava (all wicking ) and ski goggles

Torso: Weatherproof-brand base layer, medium weight Weatherproof-brand, Columbia Omni-heat and a North Face Gore-Tex jacket … all wicking

Legs: Medium weight wicking leggings and ski pants

Feet: Smart-wool socks, electric insoles, Gore-Tex socks, Felt liner (from Sorel duck boots) and XL slippers

Hands: Cabela’s electric hunting gloves inside of Gore-Tex shell mittens

I used to use them but they started to fall apart and leak cold air after a year. They also were a huge pain to put on and tuck into my coat sleeve, and were useless for opening/closing and zipping/unzipping my bag and coat respectively.

I recently switched to Outdoor Research ski gloves. They have oversized gauntlets that can cinch closed over my jacket sleeve with ease. They also are full fingered and while slightly colder, are much more useful for finer motor control. They have cords that attach to my wrists so I can take them off inside without dropping them.

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

Anybody else use Pearl Izumi lobster gloves?  They work ok, but I don't like the fabric in each "claw" that separates the two fingers.  Seems counter-productive since I want the fingers sharing warmth and a more open air pocket to heat up.  

Any one ever taken scissors to this?  I'm hesitant to do that since the fabric is all one piece in there and I might lose insulation.

You sound unhappy about something.

Michael A said:

yet another long term thread I now will no longer be following

Me:

Any hat under any balaclava that allows my nose and mouth to be free (and helmet on top)

Bolle safety glasses with mirror.

Shirt, thin jacket, med-thin outer shell with lots of pockets

Pants. Pretty much any although I don't wear the ones with thin material in the wintertime.

Socks-- nothing special for winter. Have not had to double them for several years.

Harley Davidson workboot-style motorcycle boots.

Planet Bike lobster gloves (never need the liners for whatever reason.)

The only cycling-specific items are the gloves, mirror and helmet. 

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

I used to use them but they started to fall apart and leak cold air after a year. They also were a huge pain to put on and tuck into my coat sleeve, and were useless for opening/closing and zipping/unzipping my bag and coat respectively.

I recently switched to Outdoor Research ski gloves. They have oversized gauntlets that can cinch closed over my jacket sleeve with ease. They also are full fingered and while slightly colder, are much more useful for finer motor control. They have cords that attach to my wrists so I can take them off inside without dropping them.

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

I have tried electric socks and came up with the same analysis, Robert; they were useless.

Electric insoles are rechargeable and last longer than I have had them on. When you turn them on they heat up to 80 degrees then wait to cool down to 60 degrees. When they hit 60 they rebound back up to 80 degrees. Repeat. Monday night my toes got chilled, but nothing bad. I have used them for the past 3 winters. They do not keep your feet warm and toasty, just warm enough to feel comfortable.

The electric hunting gloves are excellent and rechargeable. I sometimes have to turn them down when I have the Gore-Tex over-mittens on. At 10 below my hands were fine at a setting of 2 out of 4. They only last a few hours at 4, the hottest setting.

Both of these items are pricey, but considering that I save $10,000 per year by not owning a car, their cost is a drop in the ocean for a guy who nikes everywhere. 

Gloves: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Heated-Performance-Camo-Glov...

Insoles: http://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Rechargeable-Heated-Ins...

Robert Underwood said:

How well do those electric insoles and electric gloves work?  I had a bad experience with some "hot sox" or whatever they were called, 20 bucks, and I could not feel any warmth from them whatsoever.  I youtubed electric socks reviews and every one was the same as what I experienced, they did nothing.  but Ive never tried the electric insoles or gloves.

thanks, I will check out those links for sure... Its been six years straight of frozen toes and fingers, or dealing with chem packs and too many layers of socks.

Gene Tenner said:

I have tried electric socks and came up with the same analysis, Robert; they were useless.

Electric insoles are rechargeable and last longer than I have had them on. When you turn them on they heat up to 80 degrees then wait to cool down to 60 degrees. When they hit 60 they rebound back up to 80 degrees. Repeat. Monday night my toes got chilled, but nothing bad. I have used them for the past 3 winters. They do not keep your feet warm and toasty, just warm enough to feel comfortable.

The electric hunting gloves are excellent and rechargeable. I sometimes have to turn them down when I have the Gore-Tex over-mittens on. At 10 below my hands were fine at a setting of 2 out of 4. They only last a few hours at 4, the hottest setting.

Both of these items are pricey, but considering that I save $10,000 per year by not owning a car, their cost is a drop in the ocean for a guy who nikes everywhere. 

Gloves: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Heated-Performance-Camo-Glov...

Insoles: http://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Rechargeable-Heated-Ins...

Robert Underwood said:

Looks nice this morning.  I think I'll try it.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service