The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the cold weather will defiantly have an effect on your breathing, It is almost impossible to get in a workout for me outdoors at this temp, so I just ride at a much slower pace only pushing harder to regulate my temp

I know there is some scientific reason for it. It must have something to do with the amount of oxygen getting to muscles, because I am downshifting at the slightest incline and still feel as though I am pedaling through molasses.  And 20 degrees make me feel like a speed demon, which is pretty funny given my normal slow riding. 

Gene Tenner said:

Why am I riding so slow? I almost never get out of third gear in this cold weather. Is it me, my bike, cold air, breaqthing through a balaclava, the chain, heavy clothes or something else? Brrr. Grrr.

You aren't alone, Gene! I felt it the last few days as well, especially this morning.

1. Cold weather causes muscles to constrict and starts to limit bloodflow.

Warm up and stretch before rides. A hot shower before riding works great. 

2. Dehydration is still a concern in the winter, because your body is busy moistening the air as you breath in.

Drink water.

3. All the slush is wearing off your chain lube constantly

Check and lube if necessary each morning. (I re-lube almost every day)

4. All the extra clothing is weighing you down and increasing your drag. 

No solution, just take solace in the extra exercise!

Gene Tenner said:

Why am I riding so slow? I almost never get out of third gear in this cold weather. Is it me, my bike, cold air, breaqthing through a balaclava, the chain, heavy clothes or something else? Brrr. Grrr

After a few minutes of riding, I'm already warmed up.

I think it's that tires are more rigid and lubrication less viscous in the intense cold. There's also more "stuff" on the pavement that adds to rolling resistance. 

I rode today. Around Belmont Harbor I realized my toes were getting cold. Looked down and realized that I had failed to put my neoprene toe covers on my shoes. Other than that, I was fine.

I haven't found the proper footwear combination to keep my feet warm in < -10 for the 50 min ride in. After equating my weather formula, using triangulation (weatherbug) it was -15 in my hood at 7:15.  The 1.2 mile ride to the Metra at 7:45 was an easy ride. Definitely vintage 3 speed weather!  I thought the wind would be worse, but it isn't too bad today

Thanks! I've got these gloves and they work well down to the teens, but can get a bit cold in single digits and below. I usually pair them with a liner glove, although I'm not sure if that helps or hurts. I've also got some nice Keen insulated boots. Maybe I'll try some heat packs next time.

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Adam, you might want to check out www.refrigiwear.com for some cheap gear for these bitterly cold days. They have some gloves comfort-rated to -20 degrees for only $20. 

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Still better than walking to the 'L' and filing into a packed train. It's nice to stay active though the winter.

What about switching to a heavy duty mitten? As long as you don't need to shift often they should be much warmer than keeping your fingers all separated in gloves. I have also found that if I keep my core a bit warmer than necessary my hands and feet stay warmer.

Thanks! I've got these gloves and they work well down to the teens, but can get a bit cold in single digits and below. I usually pair them with a liner glove, although I'm not sure if that helps or hurts. I've also got some nice Keen insulated boots. Maybe I'll try some heat packs next time.

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Adam, you might want to check out www.refrigiwear.com for some cheap gear for these bitterly cold days. They have some gloves comfort-rated to -20 degrees for only $20. 

Still better than walking to the 'L' and filing into a packed train. It's nice to stay active though the winter.

I wear two pairs of soft mittens.  The inside miten is wool lined with a thin fleece and the outside mitten is Polartec.  The combination breaks the wind. On days like today I stick a hand warmer between the two mittens and my hands stay warm.

I thought mittens would be really awkward, but they are not.  Probably it is because they are soft and do not get stiff.  I can get the brakes with no problem, and it is also not a problem with my bar end shifters.

I think I have solved the cold hands problem. As I mentioned a couple replies ago, my toes got frosty this morning. My hands were fine though. I wore a pair of rag wool gloves with a Manzella windbreaker glove outside them, and stuck the whole shooting match into my Bar Mitts.

One thing I've noticed is that it pays to have rather loose fitting gloves. I've tried adding a thin liner glove inside the rag wool gloves, but that doesn't seem to help. In fact, my fingers get colder more easily. I think it compresses my fingers just enough so that blood doesn't circulate as well.

I agree with Liz. I have gloves that are good into the upper teens, so when it gets colder I put gore-tex-ish, oversized, non-insulated, liner mittens on OVER the gloves. Works wonderfully.

Liz W. Durham said:

What about switching to a heavy duty mitten? As long as you don't need to shift often they should be much warmer than keeping your fingers all separated in gloves.

Do any of you use bar mitts?

I bought a pair of Moose Mitts and I've been a little disappointed. They work fine at first when've just taken your bike out of a warm building, but if you go into a store or restaurant and leave your bike locked outside, the handlebars get very cold very fast when it's in the single digits out (which is the only time I find myself using the mitts). When that happens, the idea that you can then wear thin gloves under the mitts goes out the window--the cold handlebars will suck all the warmth right through any thinner gloves. So you've got to wear big bulky insulated gloves (or mittens) anyway, and then there's really no point to having the mitts. I think I'm going to just get some solid windproof mittens and see how they work instead.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service