Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We're the "poor schmucks" as J.P. so lovingly put it a few days ago (in a different thread).

?? This seems like a very strange approach. Why not just pull over and stop when you hear a siren approaching, rather than waiting until the last second and forcing the emergency vehicle's driver to contend with your disregard of the siren?

Robert Underwood said:

Its a bit hard looking backwards and trying to figure out if you should pull over or not while hearing the siren approach.  I try not to stop until I know its going past me.  Otherwise I waste precious seconds not moving.

Robert Underwood said:

Had fire truck behind me for a second but it turned just before passing me.  Its a bit hard looking backwards and trying to figure out if you should pull over or not while hearing the siren approach.  I try not to stop until I know its going past me.  Otherwise I waste precious seconds not moving.

This is akin to a problem in the software business known as "premature optimization". Why would you risk getting run over by a fire truck just to save a couple seconds? Put another way, wouldn't you rather get to work in one piece, a few seconds late, instead of risking not getting to work at all?

"Get it right first. Then make it fast."

In my defense, it wasn't really "just" behind me... like half a block away.  I was stopped when it turned.  At that point it was about 300 feet behind me when it "turned just before passing me".  I totally respect emergency vehicles.  I always stop before they pass me! 

I am an emergency vehicle. Get outta my way! :) Last night on my way home I had my lights in flash mode & a car flashed their lights at me rapidly. Ha!
I choose not to ride today. Did see one well prepared cyclist moving effortlessly down Elston and one not so prepared suffering.
Outstanding commute this morning! Snow snow snow! I dare say I fared better than the motorists spinning about - well...I had more fun anyway.
Side streets are slow going but it is much better downtown. I am sure the conditions will be better this evening.

Did not brave the ride today. Wish I had fat tire bike for days like this; however, the 9 mile commute would be crazy slow.

As the owner of a 4.8" fat bike, IMHO it doesn't help any on city streets.  Most of the snow you encounter is nasty packed down stuff that you sill just slide around on with fat tires - you want to cut through the snow and get to the pavement where there's more hope for traction.  That's not to say you can't ride a fat bike, or that it's not incredibly fun, but I've yet to choose my Fatty over 30mm - 700C SS commuter.

This is perfect snow ride weather.  Just warm enough to cut through 99% of everything out there. Now, let's hope they can clear some of this stuff out before the negative temps roll in and freeze everything!

Ryan Stahlman said:

Did not brave the ride today. Wish I had fat tire bike for days like this; however, the 9 mile commute would be crazy slow.

Barclor said:

As the owner of a 4.8" fat bike, IMHO it doesn't help any on city streets.  Most of the snow you encounter is nasty packed down stuff that you sill just slide around on with fat tires - you want to cut through the snow and get to the pavement where there's more hope for traction.  That's not to say you can't ride a fat bike, or that it's not incredibly fun, but I've yet to choose my Fatty over 30mm - 700C SS commuter.

This is the adverisment for the 45NRTH Xerxes studded tire (700x30mm): When a layer of snow conceals black ice, the ultra-narrow profile easily slices through the fluff and gets straight to business providing extreme traction in these extreme conditions.

I've only ridden mine a couple times so far. Took the train this morning. Might try the bike tomorrow.

I've got Schwalbe Winter Studded tires in 30mm - That ad copy defines my commute this morning.

You can't ride like it's 70 degrees and sunny, but it adds just enough grip to get where you need to go safely.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

This is the adverisment for the 45NRTH Xerxes studded tire (700x30mm): When a layer of snow conceals black ice, the ultra-narrow profile easily slices through the fluff and gets straight to business providing extreme traction in these extreme conditions.

I've only ridden mine a couple times so far. Took the train this morning. Might try the bike tomorrow.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service