The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138530

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Schwinn three-speed. Yes. Though note that I only rode to the pool, then the train. To Duppie's point, I was perfectly dressed for the distance and effort required. :-)

Julie Hochstadter said:

What bike today did you ride? And did it have fenders?

Nice ride.  Beat the hell outta Friday night's ride home!

so everyone rode with fenders today?  I didn't ride but wondering if I could have gotten away with my road bike.

I rode with fenders and (newly-installed) mudflap. There were still inches-deep puddles to traverse here and there though far fewer than over the weekend.

Probably could have, but you'd likely have looked like a skunk when you got to work. :-)

If you can tolerate wet feet (*) and a bit of spray on your front derailleur, one of those fenders that clip onto your seatpost would be sufficient I think. I have one of these SKS S-Blades on my Giant. There's nothing magic about the SKS product. It's just what Alex had at Bucephalus. Planet Bike and other companies have similar stuff.

(*) I leave a pair of shoes under my desk and bring an extra pair of socks, so I generally don't care how wet my bike shoes get.

Julie Hochstadter said:

so everyone rode with fenders today?  I didn't ride but wondering if I could have gotten away with my road bike.

Yeah, you're definitely going to want fenders. There's still a lot of standing water on the Lake Front Trail and some on the streets.

Julie Hochstadter said:

Today probably ranked among my 5 most difficult commutes ever.

Had to stop and wait for cars again and again due to there still being only a narrow channel between the ice mounds on most streets around here. And not sure but guessing some kind of detour sent cars from the main street onto my route.

in it to win it 8.0 mi said:

Nice ride.  Beat the hell outta Friday night's ride home!

I rode to the Metra station this morning. streets were starting to ice over, especially where standing water was oin the vicinity.

Montrose/Broadway to Loop was fine on city streets.

Will be interesting to see what the snow brings...

Check your bottom bracket. Does it look like this?Then I think you might benefit from a mudflap.

PS. Yes, I know, I been reading to much BQ ;)

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

I also rode my Surly (which has become my "any weather I am willing to ride in" commuter) and it has fenders.  I don't seem to need a mudflap.

Part 1 of my two parter commute today. Roads were fine but starting to get that "sheen" to them. My second commute will be during the snow. Might ditch my bike at this job and switch to Divvy if it's horrible.

Any remaining standing water was icing over on my ride in this am.  Be careful out there.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service