The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Arterial streets are clear, easy to ride, and very wet. Bike lanes on Division St, Milwaukee Ave, Chicago Ave and the loop were perfectly ride-able. I altered my normal route to stay on emergency snow routes and they were fine. 

Side streets and sidewalks are mostly untouched. The hardest part of my ride this morning involved getting to and from the street to my home/work. If your debating riding vs CTA today, keep in mind that the sidewalks are much worse than the roads. A lot of people were walking in the roads. 

Agreed the main roads are rather ride able and due to the conditions I found that drivers were being really courteous.

I wanted to add that the Chicago Ave steel grated bridge was slicker than snot. Watch out on those bridges!

Lakefront trail was pretty clear, but very slippery today.  I did not see a single cyclist.  5 runners, but no one else on two wheels at 7:30.  No salt on the trail this morning, so it was a nice (not crunchy or salty) ride.   Watch the curves and slow down.  If you ride too fast, it is very easy to loose control, especially around the curves (Fullerton and Diversey Harbor).   The ramps were not plowed at all.  A pile of snow on the ramp at Buena.  Oak Street has not seen the plow in weeks.  I had to get off to ride up the ramp at Oak Street.

However, very pleasant riding the last few days!   

I'm hoping it clears up a bit for tomorrow.  I've only got two days of work but I don't want to say I went a week without biking at least once.

Out on south side with alot of snow. I've only got 2.5 miles to go but not sure about it. Maybe walk.

Me too!

Tricolor said:

I'm hoping it clears up a bit for tomorrow.  I've only got two days of work but I don't want to say I went a week without biking at least once.

Yes, Divvied half a mile to the 'L'. Main roads are okay, side streets are awful. I had to walk the bike for half a block.

Yes. Roads were moderately clear, and they had taken plows across most of the bike lanes on Sacramento and Central Park. The snow is very fluffy and easy to cut through. It was good to get back out there after 1.5 weeks of not riding. :)

Happy New Year!  New goals!!

I rode.  But my chain kept not working. All of a sudden pedals are going round with out the chain!! So totally new to biking, so clueless as to how come this is happening and how to remedy it!! Otherwise ... it was nice!

Not even close to riding. Nothing but snow packed and ice packed roads in the burbs. I'm not doing roads when cars are sliding all over the place. I did see one guy walking his bike.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service