The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138537

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's certainly an answer, but my question was . . . oh wait, I never asked one. But if I had, it would have been in regard to tricks for keeping glasses/goggles from fogging.

Mr. Bike suggested potato juice-- I tried it but have only had a chance to wear them on a late night walk to go shovel.  Seemed, better, but it may just not have been prime "fog" conditions.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Well, here's your answer then. QED. As I'm not a medical doctor, I can only suggest to you "utterly nonsensical" ways of dealing with your condition.

H3N3 said:

I have a chronic sinus infection for a good part of the year, and just plain wouldn't dream of trying to breathe in through my nose during a winter ride.

At this rate, soon your winter goggles will smell delicious...

H3N3 said:

It's certainly an answer, but my question was . . . oh wait, I never asked one. But if I had, it would have been in regard to tricks for keeping glasses/goggles from fogging.

Mr. Bike suggested potato juice-- I tried it but have only had a chance to wear them on a late night walk to go shovel.  Seemed, better, but it may just not have been prime "fog" conditions.

While I generally prefer my bike, I enjoy public transit when I have enough wiggle room in my schedule to not need to  know exactly how long it will take to get from point a and b. I also prefer summer to winter transit, so I am not shivering at a bus stop.

My favorite reason to be on transit is my son. For him, it is a special treat where we can walk together and sit together, instead of him being behind me in the trailer.

I'll admit to that.  To me, the big downside of biking everywhere is that  it's really hard to find quiet time to read, while bus/train transit always gave me a certain amount of pure all-to-myself time that's very difficult to find elsewhere. 

I should really start taking the el more often, because I actually really miss it.  And it's not *that* much slower than biking.

H3N3 said:

I'd be curious to hear whether anyone here would be willing to admit to enjoying a bus or train ride (I do, when I'm not running late-- which can be said for the bike ride as well . . .)

Potato juice? I'm not even sure what that is! :)

Anyway--fogging-- Just pull down whatever is covering your mouth for a bit. It only takes a brief time for the glasses to de-fog. I wear sunglasses. I haven't been riding at night much below 25º and when I do, I just suck it up and expect to cry a little bit. I really should get some cheapy safety glasses.  I doubt I would enjoy ski goggles.  I find that goggles throw off my inner ear and sinuses. It's a strangely uncomfortable feeling to have my eye balls totally encased like that. 

Off to do more dog walks! Have fun riding today!

Wait. Is potato juice vodka?

Luksusowa Vodka.  tripple distilled potato. amazing.

http://www.rateitall.com/i-551766-luksusowa-potato-vodka.aspx

Howard, this may help the fogging, but it will likely make you 'foggy'. so its a wash

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Potato vodka? Yuk! I would not drink it, but it's probably OK to clean goggles with.

Holly said:

Chopin is a potato vodka.  Quite nice for a martini up with traditional olives . . .

Crap, now I've talked myself into an evening martini . . .

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Potato vodka? Yuk! I would not drink it, but it's probably OK to clean goggles with.

Holly said:
Back from Austin/dallas and even tho the weather was much better than ours i didn't see one person riding their bike??? Now i'm back here and can't wait for the snow to melt so i can use some of our bike paths to work instead of the streets.  And again it's snowing :-(

Vodka is usually made from potatoes and/or grain. I think stoli is wheat based, but SO much vodka is made from potatoes.

I'm going to make a potato juice cocktail now, too, except I think I'll just use gin since I prefer it.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Nah . . . as a half-Russian, I prefer my vodka straight, frozen and made from grain. As much as I enjoy James Bond movies, I don't drink martinis neither shaken nor stirred :)

in it to win it said:

Chopin is a potato vodka.  Quite nice for a martini up with traditional olives . . .

Crap, now I've talked myself into an evening martini . . .

I had a father-in-law with celiac disease. United States liquor stores (as defined by Binny's and Sam's [RIP]) have surprisingly few vodkas available which are distilled from Potatoes.

Serge Lubomudrov said:
I believe it is the other way around, at least traditionally and historically for Russia and her former parts, where vodka was introduced well before potatoes came to Europe from the Americas. I don't know why, but potato vodkas, even supposedly high quality ones, like the mentioned Chopin, don't taste right to me. I certainly would avoid riding my bike after consuming Chopin (the vodka, I mean, not the music of :)

Holly said:

Vodka is usually made from potatoes and/or grain. I think stoli is wheat based, but SO much vodka is made from potatoes.

Ha--good to know, Serge & Kevin. All I know (and this is from being a younger person who boozed it up on vodka all too often*): cheap vodka was supposed to be the potato variety and it wasn't good.

I don't really drink vodka anymore--*funny how that happens, huh?

I should check out North Shore. They are a local distillery and make gin. I think they do vodkas, too. I wonder if it's good. I would bet that if it's even remotely as good as the gin, it's really good...

As for the potato juice on the goggles...it just sounds kinda... smelly. Don't downhill skiers have a product to cut the fog?  I feel like I've seen it.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service