The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I started out but turned around while still in Evanston. It was starting to rain, and there was lightning all around. Decided thata coward lives to ride another day. :-)

You might want to try reducing your tire pressures to something like 90psi.  160 is really high, I think only track riders regularly use tire pressures in that range.

Michael Perez said:

I rode today and boy did I get drenched today around 6:30 a.m this morning. I was riding at 160 psi and felt everything and kept on sliding all over the place. I think its time i change that thickslick i have to a more wet weather friendly tire.

Check your rim tape? Maybe you should get different tires?

Michael Perez said:

Everytime I go low, i always get a pinch flat for some reason and ever since I started riding on higher pressure, I ride fine but except on wet weather. My front tire requires 130 but my back one is so and so on 110. Nothing popped today but I will let air out.

S said:

You might want to try reducing your tire pressures to something like 90psi.  160 is really high, I think only track riders regularly use tire pressures in that range.

Michael Perez said:

I rode today and boy did I get drenched today around 6:30 a.m this morning. I was riding at 160 psi and felt everything and kept on sliding all over the place. I think its time i change that thickslick i have to a more wet weather friendly tire.

I've got 32 Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. They are very flat-resistent and have a bit of tread on them. I don't know if they make them in sizes smaller than 25.

Michael Perez said:

I switched from 28c to 23c in the front and 25c in the back. It feels cool in a way but I think I might invest in some armadillos or panaracer duro. What would you guys recommend? I always have bad luck with tire choosing.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Michael Perez said:

Everytime I go low, i always get a pinch flat for some reason and ever since I started riding on higher pressure, I ride fine but except on wet weather. My front tire requires 130 but my back one is so and so on 110. Nothing popped today but I will let air out.

S said:

Michael Perez said:

I'm not familiar with the Vittorias, but I did have Gatorskins and they are nice. They seem a bit less substantial than the Schwalbes — the sidewalls are a bit thinner. Definitely lighter and lower rolling resistance than the SMPs, but also a bit more slippery due to the lack of tread.

Michael Perez said:

I'll check them out since I've got a small frame and 28 barely fits. I had a pair of 28 Kenda Kwick Traxx but they lacked the Kevlar strip so I ditched them. Ive got a 23 scwalbe lugano and a 25 thickslick. I was thinking of some gatorskins but its the price that throws me off. What do you think of the vittoria randonneur pro?

I've got 32 Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. They are very flat-resistent and have a bit of tread on them. I don't know if they make them in sizes smaller than 25.

Michael Perez said:

I switched from 28c to 23c in the front and 25c in the back. It feels cool in a way but I think I might invest in some armadillos or panaracer duro. What would you guys recommend? I always have bad luck with tire choosing.

Michael Perez said:

S said:

Michael Perez said:

Probably, but I rode them all winter and didn't have much problems with slipperiness.

Michael Perez said:

So for the gatorskins in other words, sharp turns in the rain will still be a bit slippery right?

I'm not familiar with the Vittorias, but I did have Gatorskins and they are nice. They seem a bit less substantial than the Schwalbes — the sidewalls are a bit thinner. Definitely lighter and lower rolling resistance than the SMPs, but also a bit more slippery due to the lack of tread.

Michael Perez said:

I'll check them out since I've got a small frame and 28 barely fits. I had a pair of 28 Kenda Kwick Traxx but they lacked the Kevlar strip so I ditched them. Ive got a 23 scwalbe lugano and a 25 thickslick. I was thinking of some gatorskins but its the price that throws me off. What do you think of the vittoria randonneur pro?

Michael Perez said:

Michael Perez said:

S said:

Michael Perez said:

With bicycle tires on the street traction has much more to do with tire pressure, tire compound and the size of the contact patch than it does the tread on the tire.

If you are running 160PSI you are going to experience, in my opinion, supper shitty handling and a super shitty ride.  Drop some pressure; run like 100-120 and things will probably feel a lot better wet and dry.

Why are you running such a narrow tire?  Get some street meats and skip the rubber bands you have on that thing.

Michael Perez said:

So for the gatorskins in other words, sharp turns in the rain will still be a bit slippery right?

Michael Perez said:

Michael Perez said:

Michael Perez said:

S said:

Michael Perez said:

I just put Panaracer Pasela 32s on my commuter. First ride today.

Required tire pressure is related to the size of the tire and weight of the rider+bike. How much do you and the bike weigh? This short article reprinted from Bicycle Quarterly includes a graph that demonstrates the principle. It also gives you pressures to use for various tire sizes and weights.

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

Michael Perez said:

I rode 700x23c Gatorskins for quite awhile. I liked them just fine, though I agree, they can be a bit more slippery in wet weather. I think the rubber compound is a bit harder than most other tires.

I had gatorskins on my road bike but after they wore out I started replacing them with some less expensive Armadillos.  My current bike still has the original Continentals (37-38?) but I've got Marathons (35) to put on next time I give the bike a cleaning and degreasing, which is probably Sunday.

I've got Schwalbe Marathons on my SWB recumbent -- a 24" and a 20".  I've put 2200 mi on them, at 65 psi, with about a 275 lb load (my fat azz, my StreetMachine, and a fair amount of cltohing and gear hauled) without getting a single flat, and my daily route includes some fairly rough stretches of Harlem Ave and Higgins Rd.  I've got plenty of tread left, and the handling has been just great in the last few days' rain.      

Unexpected beautiful week in Chicago and a few more to come!  Get out and ride!!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service