Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138965

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've started using something like this under my thicker pair of gloves and it's working super well.  Ironically I got it at the Pheonix Airport...

I didn't think it was bad at all.  I definitely didn't get out of my house fast enough once I had everything on and was a little sweaty from the get-go.

I did wear two bike winter balaclavas and a ski mask though.  Doing that feels just like being in a car to me.

I got a thumbs up from another cyclist at Damen/Milwakee/North. I felt pretty hard core then.

Yeah, that was crazy cold. I had to take my glasses off a block into 7 miles because of the steam. Then I rode the rest of the way staring through blurry little icicles on my eyelashes. I rode straight down Clark and didn't see anyone else.

I had a wool mid-weight base layer, jeans, a wool sweater, waxed cotton jacket, two wool scarves, two pairs of wool socks, two pairs of gloves, duck boots, a thin balaclava. As usual, too much on top, cold feet and fingers.

Nice.

Davo said:
I got a thumbs up from another cyclist at Damen/Milwakee/North. I felt pretty hard core then.

It really wasn't too bad today. I did arm circles at every red light just to keep the blood flowing to my fingers and it paid off. I only saw two other cyclists and gave them both the nod of approval!

I started out yesterday and made it to Grand/Milwaukee thought about taking the bus, noticed it was standing room only and traffic was a mile long so I went to The Twisted spoke had a pint of Ale then headed back out.

I have a day pass for today/tomorrow. 

I don't know who the guy was but in a group of cyclist going up Milwaukee he had that crazy smile on his face kinda like how some look before the polar bear swim.

I did a writeup of what I wore this morning on my blog:  http://balloonbiker.blogspot.com/2011/01/comfortable-riding-in-sing...

I was actually very comfortable, almost leaning towards too hot.  One thing that helped the enjoyment was that I figured out that my tire pressure had been down at 60 psi, when my tires are rated for 110 psi.  I had thought it was just me until I got a new pump.

Hell no
Hell ya!  I didn't ride to work Monday-Thursday, but 2 degrees just begs for a bike commute.

yup, at least I have no problems getting one over my turtle fur hat I can't find the one I have but its similar to this beanie..

a neo fleece face mask works much better at directing your breath than a balaclava.

It helps me a lot when I'm wearing glasses or goggles to keep from fogging.

H3N3 said:

You can fit your helmet over a "turtlefur cap"?

I did! Yay!

I was mostly roasting hot, too! I can't help it...I have to overdress because I stay outdoors most of the time.

I wish I could just master the proper layering techinique. Does anyone feel like they are spot on with it? If so, what are you wearing?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service