The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a great ride in today.  Unlike grayn8, I rode in southbound, so had an amazing tailwind.  According to My Tracks, my top speed was nearly 26mph, likely on that nice straight stretch of LFT between Fullerton and LaSalle.  My ragamuffin workout will be on the way home.

The weather forecast seems to have kept a lot of people off their bikes and out of their running shoes.  I didn't see that many bikes on the LFT and the running populace seemed to be reduced as well.

A colleague asked me if riding in was difficult this morning. No, I was headed south.  But this afternoon when the wind gusts are forecast to be over 30 MPH will be NASTY.  Luckily got here just before the real rain started and also saw many fewer cyclists.

Lisa and Skip, I am with you. I relish the rare morning southbound tailwinds. Going home might be rough, but at least I know there is beer there. 

i beat the rain too. rode the (brand) new Kona Paddy Wagon. and a short stretch of Milwaukee around Grand had some new asphalt and bike lanes painted as a surprise bonus. for some strange reason decided

to wear some thin gloves and I am glad I did. this weather is so unpredictable !!!

Headed north and west, right into it.  It was a great morning to be on the fully faired 'bent, and I'm really glad I hadn't put the neoprene kayak gloves away just yet. 

Probably one of the most unpleasant rides to work today I've had in several years.

Cold/wet/killer headwind all the way (traveling about 2/3 north and 1/3 west.)

Much better today.  Still, I'm ready for 70's and 80's.

Just sayin'

For more bike ride photos from today, click here.

I had an interesting ride today.  My wife wanted to pick up a table in Kenosha that she found in CL.  I threw my bike on the rack and went along to help, then rode home from there.  The Kenosha County Trail (asphalt paved) starts at the south end of 30th Ave in Kenosha.  Straight as an arrow and flat as a pancake.  It meets up with the Robert McClory Trail (cinder paved) at the Illinois border.  Again, flat as a pancake and straight as an arrow.  That took me to Highwood, with a little bit of a jog near the Great Lakes Naval Station.  I rode a couple miles of surface streets in Highwood and Highland Park, then climbed on the Green Bay Trail which took me to downtown Wilmette.  From there I rode surface streets to my house in Evanston. 46.5 miles, probably 80% of it on rails-to-trails paths.

I took this en route to Wisconsin; it's pretty cool and makes you imagine what it would be like to have a country-wide network of such trails.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service