Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138964

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What do I win? Cash?

Thunder Snow said:

Ding-ding-ding!  Aaaaand we have a winner here, folks!

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

It does. Loves Park.

You win a half-price membership to The Chainlink.  You owe Julie only $95 now.  And there's no free beer.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

What do I win? Cash?

Hopefully they are wrong, but the City of Chicago is issuing this warning, which is what got my attention originally:

"Per NWS in Chicago. Strong winds could produce in excess of 75mph, large hail, and heavy rain fall could accumulate 2-3 inches."   This arrived as an email from notifychicago@cityofchicago.org, which I think is part of the 911 center.

blair said:

Where are you seeing 80mph winds?!  Weather Channel is forecasting 5-10mph until midnight and then 15-20 after that.

The NWS syas that the storms won't start until 5-6, so I'm gonna try to leave work around 4.

I snuck out of work at noon and rode my bike home in order to avoid baseball-sized hail later. LFT was empty and enjoyable, winds were calm, sun was out. There may have been birds chirping but I was going faster than the speed of sound on the pedestrian-free path (with the help of a southern breeze). Took the bus back in and no one was the wiser! :)

Yikes - I'll be biking 5:15-5:30ish.  This should be... interesting.

Looking at the radar everything is going SE of the city

I really hope you're right, Davo.  If so, my apologies for the alert.  Better to be aware, than caught in something bad.

Davo said:

no harm in being aware. I hope it sticks this way too. It seems like since the first "Thunder Snow" a few years back, that every "storm" is going to be devastating. I suppose the Weather people are just using doom and gloom to cover their butts.

Thunder Snow said:

I really hope you're right, Davo.  If so, my apologies for the alert.  Better to be aware, than caught in something bad.

Davo said:

"future maps" seem to indicate this storm but it would appear out of nowhere although the build up looks to be happening now around madison.

From reading the various forecasts, it seems that this system is the kind that allows nasty storms to pop up out of nowhere.  It also makes it hard to know precisely where they will pop up.  I am hoping to make it home on my bike, but we should probably all keep watching that radar and using best judgment based on how far and where we ride.

Gin & tonics out on the lake?

Lisa Curcio 6.5 mi said:

From reading the various forecasts, it seems that this system is the kind that allows nasty storms to pop up out of nowhere.  It also makes it hard to know precisely where they will pop up.  I am hoping to make it home on my bike, but we should probably all keep watching that radar and using best judgment based on how far and where we ride.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service