Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138964

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In an odd turnabout I rode today though my buddy at work (who rides more often and lives much closer to work) didn't.  When he got up it was raining.  By the time I rolled out the door the rain had stopped.  I also rode my Xtracycle today, something I rarely do.  My normal commuter is down with bottom bracket/front shifting woes, and it was too wet to ride any of my "nice bikes".

If you're curious about Xtracycles, I will have mine today at "Bell for a Buck" at the Picasso sculpture at Dearborn and Washington (between about noon and 12:20). They are quite handy for hauling groceries.  You can also buy interesting attachments, like blenders.  Just the thing when you crave a smoothie (or margarita) on a hot day at the beach. :-)

Nice day for BTWW.  Thanks to all at the Wells pit stop!

Gorgeous day for a ride!  Riding year round really makes me appreciate days like this!

Agreed.  After getting off the LFT at North/LaSalle, I took North to Wells, thinking I'd encounter a Bike-to-Work pit stop between there and the river. No such luck.  I guess it must have been further north, probably at the Wells/Lincoln/Clark intersection.

in it to win it 8.0 mi said:

Gorgeous day for a ride!  Riding year round really makes me appreciate days like this!

What a great morning ride, with a nice coffee break at the ATA/Chainlink pit stop at REI.  Skip, there is pit stop tomorrow at Lincoln/Clark/Wells and then Thursday at LFP & Fullerton. 

http://www.activetrans.org/bikepitstops

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Agreed.  After getting off the LFT at North/LaSalle, I took North to Wells, thinking I'd encounter a Bike-to-Work pit stop between there and the river. No such luck.  I guess it must have been further north, probably at the Wells/Lincoln/Clark intersection.

Skip, that one is tomorrow morning!  Wells/Lincoln/Clark it is!  I will be there volunteering between 6:30 and 7:30--hope to see you.

I rode today along with hundreds of my closest friends on the LFP.  There was bike traffic in the Madison Street bike lane between Michigan and Dearborn.  I have never seen so many bikes on Madison.

What a gorgeous morning to ride, wanted to stay out all day.....

As a hopefully soon to be employed person I rode the expected route yesterday to check mileage and range (e-bike battery). It's a 8.83mile one way commute and the battery with a 14mph aveage speed heavily pedal assisted made it with power to spare for the round trip (17+miles).

Ran into a bit of a sprinkle on the return but the temps were perfect and the route from Elston/Austin/Peterson to 15th in Melrose Park was good biking and fair traffic in the early afternoon time slot. As a machine shop position the actual commute will probably be early (before) rush in the morn and the option of DesPlaines River trail for a relaxing ride home.

Jeff

How was the swag? I mean, if there was a pit stop sort of not exactly on one's commute, would it be worth going out of one's way? 

JM 6.5 said:

What a great morning ride, with a nice coffee break at the ATA/Chainlink pit stop at REI.  Skip, there is pit stop tomorrow at Lincoln/Clark/Wells and then Thursday at LFP & Fullerton. 

http://www.activetrans.org/bikepitstops

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

There was a tiny Clif trailer on the LFP at Fullerton with charming people yelling "Happy Bike to Work Week" while handing out tiny Clif Bars.

This morning at REI the pit stop included: ATA water bottles, mini cliff bars, water, coffee, and a tune up stand.  There were also several ATA members signing up new members (I signed up and got a t-shirt for joining).  Note that this is what I saw, and there may have been more.

I personally didn't go for the swag, just to say hi to the workers (Chainlinkers/ATA members); it's always nice to meet people in person.  It was also a surprisingly refreshing detour to take Halsted from Wrigley to downtown instead of one of my "normal" routes of Clark, Lincoln, or LFP. Always fun to mix it up.

Tony Adams 6.6 mi said:

How was the swag? I mean, if there was a pit stop sort of not exactly on one's commute, would it be worth going out of one's way? 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service