The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Slippery.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Was OK riding to work. About to start back home. How does it look? . . .

I left the Loop around 6:15. The roads were okay, but conditions deteriorated quicky by the time I reached Old Town. My chain popped off half a mile from home, but I made it home in one piece with no spills!

I left work at six and walked around on slippery sidewalks for a while before heading back to the train.  If the city's having trouble keeping the roads clear I can't imagine what the northern suburbs are like.  Time to take the car out for a spin(!) around the multi-millionaires.

Sloppy mess home. Had 2 flats... slow leaks. Limped into Village CC. They took excellent care of me & my mess of a bike. (I have had 4 flats in the past 8 days... I was lazy & it was dirty, I just didn't want to deal with it so I ponied up. Ha! )
The roads weren't that terrible where the were clear. Some bike lanes were too much so I took the lane. I think I have had enough snow... bring back the 40 & 50s.
I went for the challenge between 5 and 6, and it wasn't terrible, although it was my slowest trip ever (50 minutes for 5 miles). The Prairie Path hasn't been plowed all week between 1st and 9th. There are side streets, but...

Mostly just slow and steady, and keeping to the road less traveled.

Holy dropping temperatures, at least on the south side, all the slush and water froze overnight into a icy mess.  Any sidewalk or road that wasn't well salted is now covered in ice.

The lakefront trail was plowed of snow and salted but useless with ice ruts and bumps up north.  I got off at Foster and took city streets in today.  Still lots of bikes out there, and I can say for sure I hate rush hour traffic and am thankful the trail's my normal route.  Dearborn's bike lanes were cleared and crunchy with salt.

For more bike commute photos from today when the salt truck passed me (top photo) near Belmont Harbor at 8:10 (a wee bit too late, methinks), click here.

Glad I got off the trail at Foster.  It doesn't look any better farther south.

i rode the LFT from north avenue all the way up to ardmore at about 8:00am this morning.

HOLY RUTTED ICE, Batman!

with the ice, and that oh so lovely 20 mph N wind right in my face the whole way, it took me 95 minutes to get from the west loop up to my job in evanston, a new record! yes! at least my Marathon Winters kept me upright the whole way during that unholy ice-fest. i wanted to hug my tires when i got to work, but they were just a bit wet and sloppy.

i was so very late for work this morning.

I hit some bad pavement, ice, or both last night on my commute and had another spectacular wipeout. The road was soggy and so was I, after that. I decided to take it easy today and let the ice melt a little.

Again, ice is my kryptonite.  Hopefully Monday will have better road conditions.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service