The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad it was just something thrown, and you're OK.

There was a very disturbing story about a cyclist (meeting your general description actually, assuming your avatar is you) being attacked and badly hurt on California just south of North Ave. kicking around the nets a while back (last year?)-- can't remember if it was just a chainlink post or forwarded from somewhere else-- might wanna choose another route.  Or help organize some sort of response, but I've gathered from your postings that you're not a big proponent of organized advocacy of any sort.

Minh said:

hmm... On my ride 5 minutes ago I heard some laughing a racial epithet and then felt a rock or bottle hit me in the ribs on my left side south a few blocks south of California and North Ave. It kind of hurts but luckily I was wearing more than just my jacket. I kept going...

I don't think living in Humboldt park and my night time riding schedule is working too well.

It was nice enough to do the LFP there were several other cyclists out, lots of joggers

It was nice to get outdoors on the road bike

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/61830208

Yes that avatar is me. I live near division and cambell... I was taking cambell north but there's was a bunch of kids that threw snowballs at me near cambell and north so I started taking california instead. Maybe you are right about my idea that an organized response wouldn't be worth it. I'm pretty sure the kids around there couldn't care less until they grow up or move away. I'll just have to take western to armitage...

H3N3 said:

There was a very disturbing story about a cyclist (meeting your general description actually, assuming your avatar is you) being attacked and badly hurt on California just south of North Ave. kicking around the nets a while back (last year?)-- can't remember if it was just a chainlink post or forwarded from somewhere else-- might wanna choose another route.  Or help organize some sort of response, but I've gathered from your postings that you're not a big proponent of organized advocacy of any sort.

Minh said:

hmm... On my ride 5 minutes ago I heard some laughing a racial epithet and then felt a rock or bottle hit me in the ribs on my left side south a few blocks south of California and North Ave. It kind of hurts but luckily I was wearing more than just my jacket. I kept going...

I don't think living in Humboldt park and my night time riding schedule is working too well.

Back to sub20's; brrrr.
that particular area has been a problem (California between North Ave and Chicago Ave) for a while now, and yes, there were a number of CLinkers that had been fucked with.  Several reports suggested they were kids...15 and under.

Minh said:
Yes that avatar is me. I live near division and cambell... I was taking cambell north but there's was a bunch of kids that threw snowballs at me near cambell and north so I started taking california instead. Maybe you are right about my idea that an organized response wouldn't be worth it. I'm pretty sure the kids around there couldn't care less until they grow up or move away. I'll just have to take western to armitage...

H3N3 said:

Minh said:

Took my Schwinn to work today for the first time in a while thanks to clean roads.  It felt like I was flying on my 25's compared to the 37's on my Trucker.  Forgot to swap lights though, so I'm taking the train home. :(

I am all for identifying places to be wary of but a bit apprehensive about overgeneralizing a violence problem inaccurately to a whole neighborhood.

Often knowing about and avoiding one particular corner or residence is enough.

Do you recall specifically where these other incidents took place? The one I was speaking of happened as the rider was traveling northbound on California just past Hirsch, as I recall.

Have wanted to create a site to record these incidents as specifically as possible for several years but don't have the technical help.

iggi said:

that particular area has been a problem (California between North Ave and Chicago Ave) for a while now, and yes, there were a number of CLinkers that had been fucked with.  Several reports suggested they were kids...15 and under.

Minh said:

H3N3 said:

Minh said:

Unspectacular riding today.  Barometer falling all day (in advance of the light freezing rain hitting my face on the way home tonight) so not a day for those sensitive to air pressure changes to feel particularly jubilant on their rides.
I thoroughly enjoyed my ride(s) today and all week thus far. Its a bit colder but I am happier because there is a wee bit more light since the days are gradually getting longer again.

H3N3 said:
Unspectacular riding today.  Barometer falling all day (in advance of the light freezing rain hitting my face on the way home tonight) so not a day for those sensitive to air pressure changes to feel particularly jubilant on their rides.
It was def a goggles ride tonight...

LFP all the way from Montrose to the Loop today. Nice change of pace w/o cars!

Yeah! Every day that is not below zero, means one less chance of it getting below zero this winter!

Sarah Graff said:
I thoroughly enjoyed my ride(s) today and all week thus far. Its a bit colder but I am happier because there is a wee bit more light since the days are gradually getting longer again.

H3N3 said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service