The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had that happen to a bike.  It was amazing how much faster my bike seemed afterwards!

Serge Lubomudrov said:

My Schwinn has been alone at the bike room for the last three (business) days. Hmm.

This morning I decided to check the brakes on my way to work. REI on Halsted is overwhelmed with all the snow things, so I had to ride to another bike shop, where it was found that I've been riding with a broken rear axle for who know how long. Ouch.

Anyway, it's all fixed now :)

Ridden a few miles almost every day for weeks (nothing compared to you commuters), and am coming to the conclusion that in this weather its the SAFEST method of travel.  As last year, my fixie's bald narrow tires nevertheless seem to perform like a dream, and rare slips just remind me of skating.  I did remount its rear brake in fall, and am grateful.  Wondering if the light spryness of fixie serves well in all seasons.

Hope you're okay, Minh.

Yeah be careful!

Today was nice, sunny a little slushy but warm for this time of year.

This weekend is going to be nasty rain, melting snow then going back below freezing.

I am not looking forward to rain and might very well skip it entirely.

Today was a nice treat. Been wearing less gear and getting around briskly.

Below freezing--gah!

Nice job Holly. One day at a time...

Holly said:

I am not looking forward to rain and might very well skip it entirely.

Today was a nice treat. Been wearing less gear and getting around briskly.

Below freezing--gah!

i ride everyday. don't you?
I do as well, i need a thread that says "You didn't ride today? What's wrong?" ;-) Or "Move it Fat Ass." You know, something motivating. ;-)

Michael Malone said:
i ride everyday. don't you?
Lots of bikes out there this morning.  Excellent!

I was able to get out and do a training ride to highland park. Once the sun came out it helped the salt make mush outta everything. My clothes got soaked with mush from passing cars> I was too cold to continues so I took the Metra home.

Not to self: PUT ROAD TIRES ON THE CYCLOCROSS BIKE

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/61028318

I spent the week before Christmas in rainy California, where my hopes of renting a bike were dashed. So yesterday after something like two weeks off my bike, I finally rode. I did dual-mode in the morning, riding to Southport and then taking the train downtown. On my way home from the west loop to Edgewater, I made a pit stop in lake view for dinner.

I find that I'm still avoiding my crash location (Halsted/Chicago), especially now with the bridge out and the detour. So last night I went up Elston to Armitage instead of doing the Larabee detour. Drivers were friendly until my last mile or so between Leland and home on Kenmore.

I had one Taxi do a rolling left turn (didn't trust him to stop, so I yelled at him) and another that got really close next to me and stared me down, when I was trying to take the lane on Kenmore. The bike lane isn't ridable until Ardmore, so I needed to take the lane to stay upright and out of the door zone/slush pile.

Happy to be riding again and happy that most of my layers are figured out. I just need to suck it up and buy a good winter cycling cap and stop messing around with my ears.

Morning commute, 6a, Roscoe Village > Lincoln Ave > Wells > Loop, the slush and melt had froze overnight and I thought the streets were pretty slick! I'm guessing it will be nice when I head back home. The low holiday car traffic is bliss.
28 miles, anyone know why the city stopped plowing the lake front trail south of North ave?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service