The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138526

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

6:30a, Roscoe Village > Wolcott > Damen > Elston > Milwaukee > Loop - really nice ride - sparse and calm traffic. Quickly passed by a commuter on a road bike on Milwaukee. Cheers to you!
It certainly was icy today.  I had a few slippery moments, but fortunately no falls.  I too saw lots of bike tracks and even a few other cyclists.  One thing that I noticed is that many of the bike tracks were into places that I ddin't want to be riding.  Does that mean that I'm over cautious?
I swapped in tires with carbide studs once the temp dropped below freezing - been good so far this winter (knocks on something wood).

Glad to hear you are mostly OK.

That does look like one bad commute route
iggi said:

Its the time of year when even the most cautious cyclist can easily whipe out.  You wont save yourself any time or hassle if something happens on your ride.

jamimaria said:

It certainly was icy today.  I had a few slippery moments, but fortunately no falls.  I too saw lots of bike tracks and even a few other cyclists.  One thing that I noticed is that many of the bike tracks were into places that I ddin't want to be riding.  Does that mean that I'm over cautious?

played hooky today. slept an hour longer, took the train in, and ended up getting to work 30 minutes later. Not that anyone else is in the office.

Reading about the unfortunate falls, it sounds like I made the right decision.

I don't have to be anywhere until 1:00.

It's still going to be slippery out there, right?

Crap, I'm nervous.

(Come on sun! Work some magic!)

No sun today, just remember your helmet, and use your widest tires if you don't have studded ones.  If you start to go down keep your arms on the handlebars and let your bike and body take the fall.  Since I'm so layered this time of year, what would've been a nasty road rash in the summer was just dirt on my snowpants and rain coat this morning. Also keep in mind that ice can build up on your rims, so your braking power may be great one minute and terrible the next.

Also be careful walking on the sidewalk, today would be a good day for ice spikes on your shoes.

Holly said:

I don't have to be anywhere until 1:00.

It's still going to be slippery out there, right?

Crap, I'm nervous.

(Come on sun! Work some magic!)

Then don't ride. It's OK not to ride when you think the conditions are not safe. Only you can make that determination.

Just make yourself a promise to try and ride again tomorrow.

Holly said:

Crap, I'm nervous.

It's very likely I'm carbound today. Just came in from a walk. Yuck.

Duppie said:

Then don't ride. It's OK not to ride when you think the conditions are not safe. Only you can make that determination.

Just make yourself a promise to try and ride again tomorrow.

Holly said:

Crap, I'm nervous.

Nope. I did bike winter the first five years in the city. Then I moved and my winter beater was stolen. Now it's just a single bus from my door to my office. Can't beat that. So I ride on Fridays or on special occasions. But I worry about my pretty bike and that winter yuck.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service